Customer Service 866.965.0400

Opinions for Lacquer Paint

ACRCAR

Question

As the title suggests, I am looking for some feedback on Adams products best suited for lacquer paint.  I have an 87 Grand National with original lacquer paint from 1987.  The paint is still in fairly decent shape and the car is kept inside and out of the sun, but it is 27 year old lacquer paint.  I try to keep it slick as possible, but there are some products / cleaners that can actually wipe the paint right off the car, so I am wondering what you all would recommend.

Car is clean as it sits right now and I have been doing a weekly dusting with Adams detail spray and it looks great, but I am going to be taking it out and with that will come the need to wash and wax again.

Adams gurus feel free to jump in here :)

13 answers to this question

Hey Chris,

You can treat the lacquer just as you would with base/clear, no worries there.  Your DS upkeep is perfect.

If you want to amp up the shine, toss on some BG and Americana.  Once you get it back in the stable, washing with CWS is perfectly safe since it's pH neutral.  You can them reapply the BG/Americana combo to keep the shine and protect it.

Also, if you don't post pics of the car, I'll probably ban you.  Just so you know.   ;)

Hey Chris,

You can treat the lacquer just as you would with base/clear, no worries there.  Your DS upkeep is perfect.

If you want to amp up the shine, toss on some BG and Americana.  Once you get it back in the stable, washing with CWS is perfectly safe since it's pH neutral.  You can them reapply the BG/Americana combo to keep the shine and protect it.

Also, if you don't post pics of the car, I'll probably ban you.  Just so you know.   ;)

Thanks Nick!  I appreciate the info.  Pics to follow as soon as I get the BG / Americana on.  Please be patient and don't be quick to ban.  I take much longer than the average person when detailing my cars.  I tend to be very picky and really get into what I do, so it may be a while. :)

I love the 1987 Buick GNX! (Got my drivers license that year, and that car was as high on the dream list as it gets! Love to see photos. I have a high school friend who chose his parents well, and got one for his graduation present. It now has 200,000 mikes on it, original paint.

Avoid abrasives, that paint is soft. Nick had it right earlier.

I love the 1987 Buick GNX! (Got my drivers license that year, and that car was as high on the dream list as it gets! Love to see photos. I have a high school friend who chose his parents well, and got one for his graduation present. It now has 200,000 mikes on it, original paint.

Avoid abrasives, that paint is soft. Nick had it right earlier.

I wish it was a GNX.  Its just a plain jane 87 Buick Grand National with 15K miles on the clock.  You graduated a few years before me ( I graduated in 93),but the Buick GN's were still the car to have when I was in high school.  I had an 87 IROC-Z (still have it) in high school.  That was my first car and one of my buddys had an 87 Turbo T.  That thing used to be the quickest car around.  Stupid thing couldn't be beat, especially by my "Tuned Port" 305.  Always wanted one in high school, but it was never in the cards.  I looked for nearly 20 years to find a nice one and mine is near perfect (thus the reason for the post).  Just looking to keep the paint as nice and as near perfect as I can.

On a side note, the original bumper fillers are cloudy and very fragile.  I cleaned them up with some detail spray and the detail spray took the cloudiness away and they look as good as the rest of the paint now.  I'm sure they will haze again, but the detail spray works wonders.  I can't say enough about that stuff.  I think its my favorite product in the line.

In any event, thank you for posting.  I think its pretty cool that you get on here and post.  It is one of the reasons I buy your products.  Actually that's a lie.  I buy your products because they work, but I still think its cool that you come on here and post offering guidance and advice along the way.

Pics to come, but as stated earlier, it will be a while.  Usually takes me a few days once I get working on a car.

Thanks again!

Been working on the car almost daily after work.  Almost finished and the car looks absolutely insane!  Just when I think I got the car to a point where it looked as good as it was going to get, I go and do something like this and really bring out the shine!

Pics to follow soon!

Thanks!  I used to have a silver 87 T just like the one in your avatar.  It was silver with gray interior, G80 hardtop car with 13k miles on it. Should have kept that one.

Bought this one in 2007 with 96k miles.  Now it has just over 100k.  Has the gray interior.  Pretty much stock other than a cold air kit, LS1 Maf, translator.   Runs great, A/C blows cold.  These days its more of a garage queen.   We have a good group up in Northern IL.  "GN T-type Central" on FB.    We had 115 cars at our last get together earlier this year. People still think its a silver Grand National.  :)

Not sure if it in fact needs more passes, but I can tell you that the passes that were made were made with extreme care.  The paint on these cars is notoriously bad, but mine actually looks great.  I try to keep it as slick as possible so as to try to preserve it as best as I can.  I probably go through a bottle of detail spray every 2 - 3 weeks on this car as I spray it down often just to keep the dust at bay and keep it shiny.