Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine detail

Krzdimond

Question

Last night I went to a local car show. There were about 30 or so cars there, 90% being the "Fast and the Furious" crowd:help:

Anyway, when I showed up, I got the standard funny looks and jeers. No problem. I parked the wagon, popped the hood and started answering questions:cheers:

The most asked question was " Is that a new engine?" No, it's the original, 13 year old, never removed, 130K mile engine. After explaining that it was "only/just detailed using ---these products right here------, I now have 4 more engine details to do this week. I just can't seem to get a day off since I started using Adams stuff:cheers:

Here are the pics:

cf45dc61.jpg

027b1d23.jpg

a83e1197.jpg

enjoy;)

I'm a car show freak and go to a car show every chance I get. And I'm 62 years old. I drive a Vette. BUT what I really enjoy about car shows is seeing what these younger "kids" do to their cars. I think it's great that they are so involved with their clubs and getting these new engines figured out, the body graphics they come up with, the neon, the hydraulics........everything. The car hobby runs the range, and if the younger ones wouldn't be involved, then the hobby could just die out. I have a lot of respect for these guys who can make these cars look so great. They're doing stuff that I never could have imagined when I was their age. I hope it keeps up. Every generation brings something new, and that's great. :cheers:

I, by no means, meant to offend anybody. What I MEANT is the attitude of these kids, not the vehicles that they customize. We as kids did the same thing with the cars that we had. I irritated my dad by replacing the rotchester quadrajunk;) carb with a rebuilt Holley:drool: with larger jets and running pizza cutters on the fronts and jacking up the rear on a... ready? A 1971 Olds Delta 88 with the 350 rocket:rockon:

I didn't get offended, I hope that wasn't implied. I just hate getting lumped in with those other guys if you know what I mean. I doubt everything I've done to my car is approved by the older generation but I think what I've done is generally tasteful and I always am respectful to the other car guys out there young and old. Every car guy you meet is a good learning opportunity so I hate to waste those and when I do meet those guys who are jerks I just shrug it off and move on.

Sorry for the mega thread jack. lol

I just hate getting lumped in with those other guys if you know what I mean.

i get that alot with my other truck.....i always get "nice low-rider" from spectators when i was showing it....now i know not all people think this but the when the "majority" of people think of a low-rider you think an old Impala or Cadillac on small wheels and tires and a hydraulic suspension setup.....i never knock those cars OR their owners cuz they have their own style just like we all do and we all do what we enjoy.....but i agree it is frustrating when you get thrown in with the stereo-types when you yourself are far from it lol.....i just say thank you when i hear it and let it go and enjoy the rest of the show:2thumbs:

Nice job on the engine.

Can you tell me which products you used on the engine and how?

I've got a 2008 Corvette Coupe that I just started showing.

Thanks,

Willie

:hi:

Hi Jim

Welcome to AF !!!!

Lets see some pictures of you vette :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is my 08 coupe:

Image-9C50F9E27BA411DD.jpg

Nice job on the engine.

Thanks,

Willie

Thanks Willie Wax ( cool name BTW:bow:)

It's almost TOO simple;)

Spray the All Purpose Cleaner (APC) over the COOL engine and with a med bristle brush, clean what you can reach.

Rinse with a med stream from the garden hose.

Run engine 'till dry.

Using VRT and a sponge, get what plastic you can.

In and Out spray ( no longer available:confused::mad:) the other plastic pieces you couldn't reach.

Undercarriage spray the hoses, wires, inner fender wells and anything metal that MIGHT look black. Let dry.

Detail spray the dog snot out of everything.

Take pictures.

This may not be the preferred method, but it's what I did.

Whole thing from opening the hood to picture taking was MAYBE 20/30 min.

Nice job on the engine.

Thanks,

Willie

Welcome Willie! How about some pics for the rest of us to see your great ride? :hi:

Wrap all electrical that you are worried about with aluminum foil really tight and good, cover any cold air intakes you have with a plastic trash bag, and go to town. Dry out your spark plug wells afterwards. That's what I do, works flawless for me! :)

V6, You don't! The '94 and up LT1's have the vented opti. Circulates air from the intake through the opti and back out into the manifold. They are sealed pretty good..... if not they would fail every time it rained or the water pump failed..... and I'm on my 4th WP.

oldwaterpump.jpg

enginerepair.jpg

R

Guest V6Power

Yeah I know the later models went to the vented opti, i'm thinking of doing the upgrade when I finally replace the non-vented opti on mine (when I can afford the cam upgrade to go with it!!).

I'd always heard the vented opti had to be kept fairly dry too, nice to know you can get away with a little more than the older version.

Yeah I know the later models went to the vented opti, i'm thinking of doing the upgrade when I finally replace the non-vented opti on mine (when I can afford the cam upgrade to go with it!!).

I'd always heard the vented opti had to be kept fairly dry too, nice to know you can get away with a little more than the older version.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread........

The problem with the vented opti's is the vacuum lines. Replace the vent harness every time you replace the cap/rotor and you'll be fine. The harness tends to dryrot from the heat and oil so check often. If they leak, you'll have an opti sensor failure..... which means a $500 replacement part (AC delco is the BEST for these engines, MSD and the cheap Chinese knockoffs have a 55% failure rate within a year...it's the opti sensor itself, not the cap that fails).

What is this engine in? "C", "F", or "B" body? From what I uderstand, at least in the "B" body, is that the conversion isn't plug and play. Something about the bolt pattern is different. Not Sure about the "C" or "F" bodies.

About the cam... I'm waiting on funds to put in a GM 845 and the required 1:6 rocker arms/beehive springs and replace the wore out 4L60e with the all important T-56 6 speed manual trans:burnout::burnout:

Guest V6Power

It's in an 'F' body, the cam drive dowel pins are different lengths on vented/non-vented.

All the LT1 motors are basically the same between the 'C', 'B', 'F', 'G' etc. The main difference is the bigger 'full size' cars had the iron heads and smaller intake components. The Corvette, Camaro and Firebird had the aluminum heads and 3.5" intake ducting (the Corvette also had the larger cam, 4 bolt mains, and the LT4 motor on some models).

I believe the '845' plays havoc with the tune, and pushes the powerband quite a ways up the rev range.