Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help! ...paint won't clearcoat or polish. will it seal?

Krazie_Ivan

Question

bringing life back to a motorcycle i let sit for a long period, i used Krylon ColorMaster Aluminum Metallic Spray Paint on a few metal surfaces (aluminum frame & wheels). the finish, sheen and color is exactly what i wanted...but... no clearcoat will cover it.

i tried acrylic (and even enamel and lacquer, against better judgement) clearcoat paints, and they just turned the paint an ugly grey with spotting and a slight gloss. waxing and polishing was even worse, stripping the bright color and metal tones.

i know it's just a $4 can of spraypaint found at walmart, but it's the perfect color and i NEED to protect it (even fingers leave prints after days of drying in the sun). i'm obviously on a tight budget with this project, lol. i'm looking for something to coat/bond clearly on the bare paint, seal it with a hard finish that will protect it, and allow regular cleaning/waxing without stripping the paint of it's natural color/finish.

will "Adam's Polishes - Quick Sealant Paint Protection Spray" do what i'm asking?

thanks all :)

the culprit:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Indoor-Outdoor-Metallic-Paint-Aluminum/17211110

6 answers to this question

You're probably going to want to use a real automotive paint with pearl in it with real automotive clear coat...

way outside my budget and scope of the project ($2800 Suzuki)

QS will be fine to use after the paint cures....I would wait at least 60 days if not more.

whoa...60 days for this paint to cure?

I think you solved your own problem. You tried waxing and polishing too soon.  All paint has to cure before you add any kind of  wax or polish to it.  Otherwise it can dull and look a general mess.  And no wax is going to give you a hard finish. You're going to need a good coat of clearcoat on top of the paint once the paint is dry, and then let the clearcoat dry for a month or two before waxing.  I'd at least wait a good three to four weeks.  You need to slow down on the process.