Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing stock rims

Junior

Question

Guys I wanted to check that my approach to getting my rims back looking good is correct. Long story short, I have a 2000 Lexus Ls 400 and the rims are hammered by the multiple runs through the automated wash. I just got the drill backing plate and did a test spot using a cordless Dewalt 20v drill with the 4 inch orange foam pad with swirl and haze remover. I followed up with the white foam pad and fine machine polish. It looked much better. Didnt seem to have any buffer marks etc. Just wondering if this is the proper method to get those swirls out of the rims. Most of the posts about rims I found on the forum with searches were bare metal, but these are factory cleared I believe. Especially since metal polish didnt test well on them.

7 answers to this question

Yep Jamey, Your method is spot on! Most all wheels that come stock on today's vehicles have clear coat on them, so you treat them just as you do your paint. If black showed up on your pads you had bare metal, no black residue and it's clear coat.

Looks like Dave has you pointed in the right direction. Those would most definitely be a coated wheel in my experience.

Keep on them with the orange/white combo and they should shine up pretty well. Most times there are some defects or lines under the clear from the factory so you may not turn them into a mirror, but getting them back to the way they were when they rolled off the line in 2000 shouldn't be too difficult.

Okay I went over them a few times and it made a pretty big difference, but there is still more room for improvement. Now my question is can I use the microfiber pads on the wheels with the drill attachment? And if so, is it safe to go back to using the microfiber pads on the paint afterward? I have a set of dedicated foam pads to keep things separate, but only one set of mf pads.

Edited by Junior