Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratched Plastic.. the neverending story

DJJimGreen

Question

Hey all,

It's my first post, so be easy on me. I'm just getting into the detail game and have done some searching on other websites but haven't come to a good conclusion on how to repair scratched plastic surfaces such as trim panels or an unpainted plastic front lip of a car.

Some have said VRT, some say trying to heat it up and even it out. I found that using a heat gun just smooths out the semi-textured surface of the plastic. IS there a solution, or is it pretty much impossible to get scratches filled without buffing the surface?

Thanks!
Jim

11 answers to this question

Honestly there is no "Repair" to scratched plastic. 6-7 years ago this was one of my first questions as well. 

The best you can do is mask the scratch. SVRT or Leather Conditioner do good to mask imperfections on scratched plastic depending on where the scratch is (Interior or Exterior).

Basically if you think of it a scratch is plastic is caused by removing the plastic. Most plastic is textured on vehicles and the human hand can't create texture like that to repair it. Its a completely different problem from a scratch in clear coat. Since Clear Coat is smooth it can be smoothed out (thats what polishing is, smoothing out the clear) plastic isn't smooth.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm excited to start my detailing journey. Anywho, I thought that may have been the answer. It makes complete sense but I didn't know if any of you magicians would have any secrets. :)

Thanks again!

Honestly there is no "Repair" to scratched plastic. 6-7 years ago this was one of my first questions as well. 

The best you can do is mask the scratch. SVRT or Leather Conditioner do good to mask imperfections on scratched plastic depending on where the scratch is (Interior or Exterior).

Basically if you think of it a scratch is plastic is caused by removing the plastic. Most plastic is textured on vehicles and the human hand can't create texture like that to repair it. Its a completely different problem from a scratch in clear coat. Since Clear Coat is smooth it can be smoothed out (thats what polishing is, smoothing out the clear) plastic isn't smooth.