Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rupes mini 75 with Adams products

dave5514

Question

Hey all,

I have a PC 7424 I have used with previous Adams 3 step correction.

Now going to the 2 step, but the PC can't get into tight spots, so I got the Rupes mini75.

Not sure if y'all have anything to recommend pad wise to go with that, as the 4" backing plate y'all have I don't believe is compatible with the Rupes mini.

Anyone have any experience with it, suggestions?

Love the Adam's line!

12 answers to this question

Why doesn't the PC get into tight spots just curious?  I've seen people using 3.5" pads on a 2 7/8" backing plate with the PC so I've personally seen it get into tight spots and use it in tight spots myself as I have a 3.5" plate with 4" pads on it.

Anyways, the BP of the Rupes 75 is listed at 75mm (ingenious, I know), which is 3", so you shouldn't need a different backing plate and should be able to use the 4" pads Adam offers.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Where the 75e has an advantage over the PC is the overhang - the shroud of the rupes mini doesn't protrude past the edge of the plate at all, unlike the PC. Also its designed to run a small pad so its extremely balanced and operates at the correct speeds, vs the PC which can be adapted to run smaller pads, but isn't necessarily designed to do so.

The trade off is of course, the price... if you have the extra couple hundred to spend on the 75e its worth it, but keep in mind its a tool that will maybe get used on 10% of the surfaces of your car, so you have to justify the price.

To the OP - our pads actually fit just fine on the stock 75e backing plate, I've tested the combo extensively myself. One thing to keep in mind though is with the foam pads and the plastic guide ring. They seem to use a less sticky velcro on the 75e plate so I did experience some issues with the pad wanting to jump off the machine. Make sure you seat the pad very well before use. Its a non-concern with the mf pads b/c the ring isn't there and you get more positive contact.

Thanks for the replies all!

The PC is a bit more bulky, and to be honest, I didn't even think about using the 4" backing pad on it.

Thanks for the info and guidance Dylan.  I will probably be using the mini more than others, the Harley isn't big enough for the PC and the mini seems like it will be a great choice for it.  Then all the smaller spots on the TBSS and the Corvette, I'll definitely put her to the test!  :)

Thanks for the replies all!

The PC is a bit more bulky, and to be honest, I didn't even think about using the 4" backing pad on it.

Thanks for the info and guidance Dylan.  I will probably be using the mini more than others, the Harley isn't big enough for the PC and the mini seems like it will be a great choice for it.  Then all the smaller spots on the TBSS and the Corvette, I'll definitely put her to the test!  :)

Dave - please share your motorcycle detail experience especially with the Rupes. I have been toying with the idea of getting the mini as well to tackle Harley fatbob tanks as well as tight front and rear fender situations!

As others have mentioned you will use it maybe 10-15% while polishing your car. Is it worth the cost? Depends on what you have in your budget. If you have the cash to spend it's definitely worth it. I finally ponied up the cash and picked one up.

Finally broke out the Rupes this weekend, it was great to see the sun and try out some of the tools / products I have been stockpiling.

I will say, the mini 75 was easy to handle, the foam 4" pads worked for me much better than the 4" microfiber.

The plastic ring on the foam pads held it better on the Rupes so made the polishing easier.  Still getting used to it and the feel for pressure, but knocked down 2 pretty deep scratches with it on rear fenders of the CTS-V and some scratches on the trunk lip, so that is a plus for me right there.

The 2 stage correction worked well, first time used that new process.  Ran out of daylight, so didn't get to use the Flex on the hood where it needs some serious attention!

Sum it up, the Rupes mini 75 is a good tool to have for tight places, it worked well, comfortable and worth it IMHO.