Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need help with interior detailing

Junior

Question

Guys, help me out here please! I just got a job doing interiors on a local company's trucks. Some of these trucks have been absolutely hammered. They are International trucks with a three seat cab. I used 1:1 diluted APC and actually a bucket of car shampoo with the tire and fender brush to hit the rubberized floor which worked really well. That is not where I am puzzled. The areas that gave me trouble were the door panel and dash. I basically used cotten terry towels and a foaming cleaner along with the diluted APC to boost the grease/stain cutting ability. I basically foamed the panel and let it sit for a few minutes then hit the towel with 10 blasts of 1:1 dilution APC and started agitating the surface. Then I followed with a clean dry towel to dry and remove as much grime as possible. I have a few questions about alternative methods. Is there a Cyclo brush I could use for this? Would a steam cleaner be a better option? I saw one that seemed to be pretty powerful, but not sure what 220 degrees will do to interior plastic. Or should I have used full strength APC or another chemical or chemical combination alltogether? What about the media I am using, is there something else like maybe the new interior brush I should have tried? My problem is basically that I went over the door panels and dash about 4 times and I still thought they looked awful.

15 answers to this question

For something like this steam would likely be your best bet, not only in terms of speed, but also what its capable of doing. You'll have to do some reading up on steamers and determine the best way to use it on the specific materials you're addressing, but it would be a worthwhile investment if this is a long term gig.

That being said, from the sounds of it you'll still want to at least pre-clean with the method you're using now to break up the surface soiling, then go back with the steamer to sanitize.

As far as Cyclo attachments. We currently offer the carpet brush option, which is probably a little too aggressive for what you're dealing with. They offer a more mild option we have debated bringing on on thats better suited to leathers and vinyls.

Any chance you can get us a picture so I have an idea of what exactly the condition and type of panels are that you're working on?

Thanks Doc VK! I'll see if I can get some pics. I was really thinking the steamer would be the way to go. Autogeek has one and it runs like 300.

It might be the weekend before I can get back with the company and get pics because the trucks are all out on the street until then. Never done fleet maintenance before, but this gig might be just what I need to get my own little company up and running.

Thanks Doc VK! I'll see if I can get some pics. I was really thinking the steamer would be the way to go. Autogeek has one and it runs like 300.

It might be the weekend before I can get back with the company and get pics because the trucks are all out on the street until then. Never done fleet maintenance before, but this gig might be just what I need to get my own little company up and running.

Speaking from experience, and I'm sure Adam will chime in on this as well - the key to success on fleet work is speed. The faster you can get thru the job the more profitable it is. Thats true of any detail work, but its magnified 100x over on fleet work b/c the nature of it. Good luck whatever you decide to do... keep us posted and feel free to ask more questions along the way.

Any chance you can get us a picture so I have an idea of what exactly the condition and type of panels are that you're working on?

Dylan - in discussing panels, I have a question. What is your go to cleaner for basic new model GM door panels and trim (textured hard plastic)? Audi also has similar panels. To be honest, detail spray works perfectly for a quick wipe down in most instances, same with waterless wash. Leather and Interior cleaner is awesome for a tougher cleaning task. As mentioned above some people go for the APC. I unfortunately have not used your interior quick detailer, so I assume that may be your answer especially as it contains the protective piece (UV) in which the other options don't have. Anyway, just want to get an opinion and your thoughts on the various products in which all can handle interior trim, but mostly your opinion on the best overall clean and finish for average maintenance wipe downs.

Here's a Q Dylan as well on a follow up, since I am prone to using Detail Spray for interior wipedowns and the amazing scent on the interior, as well as diluted Rinseless, as most of the time I'm just cleaning the interior with a wipedown and like the no frills zero dressing nature of using it.

Does it have some UV protection built in the formulation since it's an exterior designed product? Always wondered a definitive answer on that.

Here's a Q Dylan as well on a follow up, since I am prone to using Detail Spray for interior wipedowns and the amazing scent on the interior, as well as diluted Rinseless, as most of the time I'm just cleaning the interior with a wipedown and like the no frills zero dressing nature of using it.

Does it have some UV protection built in the formulation since it's an exterior designed product? Always wondered a definitive answer on that.

I'm curious too.

The only drawback there is the fact that both products contain a percentage of wax, and wax buildup (especially on textured plastics) can have a dulling effect as well as a tendency to hold dust/dirt in the low points. TID is better suited since it contains no wax.

Nothing wrong with using DS or RW dilutions for interior work, but keep in mind there will potentially come a point where they will need to be stripped down to remove wax buildup.

The only drawback there is the fact that both products contain a percentage of wax, and wax buildup (especially on textured plastics) can have a dulling effect as well as a tendency to hold dust/dirt in the low points. TID is better suited since it contains no wax.

Nothing wrong with using DS or RW dilutions for interior work, but keep in mind there will potentially come a point where they will need to be stripped down to remove wax buildup.

Glad to hear a definitive answer D, will keep that in mind.  Love that DS smell on the interior however :)

What I've done in the past to get that DS smell inside:

Soak a cotton ball or gauze in a little DS, just enough to wet it, not dripping and tape it to a piece of wax paper and place it under the seat. Its like a home made air freshener.

I've also take a rolled up gauze, placed it in the top of an open bottle of DS and placed it in the cup holder overnight. The product will wick its way up the gauze and release the smell.

What I've done in the past to get that DS smell inside:

Soak a cotton ball or gauze in a little DS, just enough to wet it, not dripping and tape it to a piece of wax paper and place it under the seat. Its like a home made air freshener.

I've also take a rolled up gauze, placed it in the top of an open bottle of DS and placed it in the cup holder overnight. The product will wick its way up the gauze and release the smell.

Nice tip!!

Guys I actually used a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the door panels and dash and it worked like a champ. Not sure i will use that method often because typically TID or diluted APC works well. But this was LAAAYYERS of crud. Anyway, I should have taken some pics. The door panels look brand new now! I have three more trucks to go so I will be sure to get pics of before and after on them.

Edited by Junior