Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waterless Wash vs Rinse-less Wash - pros / cons of each?

PT3

Question

Is one better than the other? And why?

In reading posts here, I get the sense that rinse-less is considered 'safer'....?? Am I reading that correctly?

If yes, why? It's pretty much the same concept. Except one way you spray the product onto the car...vs...the product being on the towel.

8 answers to this question

For waterless washing to be "safe" the car literally can only be slightly dusty. Rinseless adds a lot more lubrication to the wash compared to a waterless wash. For my rinseless I presoak the car prior to the wash. With a waterless wash you are taking a dry towel, spraying the surface down to lubricate all the dirt or dust and removing with a dry towel. Rinseless you have a towel soaked in the solution, wiping down a surface that has already been presoaked (to be extra safe). 

So if you just washed your car and took it for a drive and accumulated a little bit of dust/dirt, go ahead and go for a waterless wash. If it has been a few days since your last wash and the car isn't overly dirty, go for a rinseless wash. 

If the car is so dirty that I don't feel comfortable doing a rinseless wash, I will either do a traditional wash (not a 2 bucket though, 1 bucket with multiple microfiber towels) OR completely hose the car down thoroughly with a pressure washer and then do a rinseless wash. 

Basically in order from least safe to most safe (waterless wash, rinseless wash, traditional wash). 

I almost never do a waterless wash. I don't find waterless washing to be faster than a rinseless wash as I am so focused on being absolutely careful not to scratch the paint. I do rinseless washes about 80% of the time and traditional washes 20% of the time. 

Edited by lax

Is one better than the other? And why?

In reading posts here, I get the sense that rinse-less is considered 'safer'....?? Am I reading that correctly?

If yes, why? It's pretty much the same concept. Except one way you spray the product onto the car...vs...the product being on the towel.

My understanding is that rinseless is an ultra-concentrate, method specific formula with polymers and wax. With that being said, if you want to clean your car by this method, there literally is no safer product that can be used.

Rinseless: My most recent mystery box purchase included rinseless and a double soft towel. I gave the process a shot for the first time and have no complaints. It is a very legitimate process. I feel it is safe and sound.

Waterless: I have owned waterless for years and have used it for quick touch ups with a waterless waffle weave towel. More recently I use waterless primarily for door jambs in which have the exact type of dirt and build up these products are made for.

Ultimately what separates the 2 processes and makes RW safer than WW is the amount of lubrication, emulsification, and surfactant effect on the contamination. In simple terms a towel just short of dripping with RW mixture is going to do more to remove contamination and provide lubrication of the surface than a dry towel only gaining liquid volume from whats sprayed on the surface.

WW certainly is convenient in that you have an RTU (ready to use) bottle that you just spray and wipe, but it is limited in how dirty a car can be when you use it and in terms of how much product is used per cleaning its less economical. RW can take on more serious dirt and grime, cleans more effectively, and is far less apt to cause damage.

Ultimately what separates the 2 processes and makes RW safer than WW is the amount of lubrication, emulsification, and surfactant effect on the contamination. In simple terms a towel just short of dripping with RW mixture is going to do more to remove contamination and provide lubrication of the surface than a dry towel only gaining liquid volume from whats sprayed on the surface.

WW certainly is convenient in that you have an RTU (ready to use) bottle that you just spray and wipe, but it is limited in how dirty a car can be when you use it and in terms of how much product is used per cleaning its less economical. RW can take on more serious dirt and grime, cleans more effectively, and is far less apt to cause damage.

Gotcha!  Ok... well, looks like I'll be ordering a new bucket and some more rinse-less!

Here is my method for what it's worth. I have found it to be the safest and and it is becoming my go to wash method winter or summer.

• Full on wheel wash with bucket and hose rinse 
  • Foam gun and rinse paint ( in the winter I use a coin op wash)
  • hit the panel with a slight mist of waterless wash 
  • rinse-less wash with about 10 or 11 towels (one towel per panel) 
  • Dry and buff each panel 

A lot of people think this is overkill and it very well may be but this method works really well for me. I do a MUCH better job since I can see what I am cleaning on each panel, the paint isn't covered in suds.  Far less chance of inducing wash related swirls or scratches when using a clean side of the microfiber on each wipe.

Here is my method for what it's worth. I have found it to be the safest and and it is becoming my go to wash method winter or summer.

• Full on wheel wash with bucket and hose rinse 
  • Foam gun and rinse paint ( in the winter I use a coin op wash)
  • hit the panel with a slight mist of waterless wash 
  • rinse-less wash with about 10 or 11 towels (one towel per panel) 
  • Dry and buff each panel 
A lot of people think this is overkill and it very well may be but this method works really well for me. I do a MUCH better job since I can see what I am cleaning on each panel, the paint isn't covered in suds.  Far less chance of inducing wash related swirls or scratches when using a clean side of the microfiber on each wipe.

Thanks bud! Appreciate the ideas!