Customer Service 866.965.0400

applying leather conditioner

Zach5.9CTD

Question

hey guys, im picking up a new truck on saturday with perforated leather.  Never owned a leather vehicle and honestly havent detailed any with perforated leather.  Anyway, whats the correct/best method for applying leather conditioner to perforated leather as so to not plug up/fill the perforations with cream. 

6 answers to this question

Some people like to apply it with their bare hands and some like using a foam or microfiber applicator to apply it. I prefer an applicator. After you remove the excess with a microfiber towel check and see if you see any conditioner stuck in the perforations of the leather (I almost always do not have any stuck in the perforations). If you do, once dry you can take a soft bristle brush and remove the dried conditioner. 

I apply it with a MF utility towel.  Just make sure it is worked into the towel first, you don't want any big globs.  Put some on a towel folded in quarters, apply a generous amount, then fold it over like a taco and massage a little to work it into the towel, unfold and apply.

I also start on the non-perforated portions of the seat first then move to the perforated areas.  Never had a problem with any getting in the holes and I use this stuff ALOT!

I think the towel works better than an applicator since there is more area and you can also switch to a clean side of the towel if you pick up any debris, like evil little pieces of glitter.

I also use the towel sometimes depending on the leather I'm working with but yes always start on the non-perf sections first.

That reminds me I have a full bottle of another brand conditioner and some left of another brand's liquid protectant before I can buy a bottle of Adams LC (gotta get rid of my inventory! lol)

Apply a quarter sized drop to your applicator, then "butterfly" (fold on itself) the applicator to spread it over the surface and get it to soak into the surface a little. Once you've done that follow Chris' suggestion - work the bolsters and non-perforated surfaces first, then move to the perforations. As long as the product isn't in globs on the applicator and thinned out thru the surface it won't clog anything.