Customer Service 866.965.0400

Finished my first detailing!

DJJimGreen

Question

Woot! I'm excited to say I finished my first detail job. A few things I'm curious about though..

How long does it generally take you to do a wash/claybar/revive hand polish/glaze/wax?

That was my process and took me about 4 hours. However, I don't think I worked in the revive polish correctly. I used the blue hex but didn't really rub it in to "vasoline state."

How many double soft microfiber towels do you go through? I used like 6. Felt excessive, but I could be crazy....

I dried before claybaring, but realized I could just dry after claybaring to save a step/some time. However, if I do that, should I still use a drying towel to clean off the clay residue? Or should I stick with the double softs? I feel like I'm going to need more double softs..

Anywho, that's all for now. I'll post up pics when it's actually sunny.. :)

*edit*

Also, how much product do you find yourself using? 1 panel before reloading your applicators? More? less?

Edited by DJJimGreen

19 answers to this question

Welcome to the club Jim!  Everyone could have a different answer to your time question (the old "how long does it take to read a book?" question).  But 4 hours for a medium sized car sounds good!  It is hard to work a hand polish to the 'vaseline' state.  

I use towels sparingly, but I know others the would easily double your number.

Either towel is fine for clay residue removal, but if you are following with a polish, not reason to use the super soft towels.

Welcome to the club Jim!  Everyone could have a different answer to your time question (the old "how long does it take to read a book?" question).  But 4 hours for a medium sized car sounds good!  It is hard to work a hand polish to the 'vaseline' state.  

I use towels sparingly, but I know others the would easily double your number.

Either towel is fine for clay residue removal, but if you are following with a polish, not reason to use the super soft towels.

Got you. Thanks too! It was a challenger, so a bit long and wide (giggity) of a car. Yea, I found that after a while of wiping down, they would really lose their effectiveness, so I'd start up a new towel. Could have also been that I used more than usual product, as I'm just starting out..

You're probably using more products than you need being new, you'll get it down with time. I use a lot of towels for stuff, like em fresh. I have north of 70 MF and there are guys with way more than me. 

Having a lot gives me that breathing room. 

Yea, definitely. Any thoughts on what you use per panel? I found myself "refilling" as it wasn't visibly looking to apply after a panel or so.

You're probably using more products than you need being new, you'll get it down with time. I use a lot of towels for stuff, like em fresh. I have north of 70 MF and there are guys with way more than me. 

Having a lot gives me that breathing room. 

A man who knows his total microfiber count is a true man.

I'm at 82 myself.

Black cars are the devil's work.  I curse my wife every time I clean hers (Toyota = soft, black, non-metallic = the WORST)

She bought it while we were dating so I didn't have much pull then on color choice, but I will tell you one thing, never again.  And especially never Toyota black again.  You look at it wrong and sneeze while holding Detail Spray and it swirls.

im at 150 but only 100 of them are premium microfiber from adams and griots. the other 50 have the made in china tag and aren't good microfiber, basically like walmart or part store quality . so to get rid of them I use them during the winter to wipe down tires wheel wells, wheels, any exterior trim and a wipe down of the engine by. but my goal is not to have them so when I am done with the bad microfibers, there gone and never coming back on my shelf

Black cars are the devil's work.  I curse my wife every time I clean hers (Toyota = soft, black, non-metallic = the WORST)

She bought it while we were dating so I didn't have much pull then on color choice, but I will tell you one thing, never again.  And especially never Toyota black again.  You look at it wrong and sneeze while holding Detail Spray and it swirls.

Exactly. I have a pitch black dodge challenger (so, just plain black) and the thing has small scratches all over. Did a full detail on Monday and the next day I had a fine layer of dirt over it. I was like "really? 12 hours?" Hahahaha

You should invest in a DA.  You will thank yourself later.

For sure. I actually recently bought the cyclo and want to purchase a flex. I just wasn't able to use the cyclo yet, for technical reasons. :)

Especially if you are considering doing this for money, side money or full time.

Hell I am up to 4 different polishers. They all have their place.

Definitely. I want the flex, have the cyclo and also found a pretty nifty 3 inch that I think would be neat to have. Expensive hobbies... haha

For sure. I actually recently bought the cyclo and want to purchase a flex. I just wasn't able to use the cyclo yet, for technical reasons. :)

Definitely. I want the flex, have the cyclo and also found a pretty nifty 3 inch that I think would be neat to have. Expensive hobbies... haha

Rock that cyclo instead of doing revive by hand!

Rock that cyclo instead of doing revive by hand!

I would have loved to! I'm moving in a week and already packed up my extension cable somewhere, so I was stuck in manual mode. Hahaha. That brings up a question though! Revive in a cyclo, would you run it at a speed that only spreads? Or woud you go for a cut like the orange correction polish and run at 5-6?

I would have loved to! I'm moving in a week and already packed up my extension cable somewhere, so I was stuck in manual mode. Hahaha. That brings up a question though! Revive in a cyclo, would you run it at a speed that only spreads? Or woud you go for a cut like the orange correction polish and run at 5-6?

Run it at speed 5-6 with a white polishing pad or if it is really soft paint use a red or black finishing pad.