Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning MF Towels questions

DwDrummer

Question

How often should I clean the MF towels? If I'm polishing or just using them to wipe off detail spray should I wash them after each use? Liquid soap and let the air dry is the method I used today. Is this the right way to clean them??

Thanks,

DwDrummer

Derek,

Great question and very important. You should always keep your towels as clean as possible before they contact your finish. Any contaminant could eventually lead to damage you'll have to repair. Fortunately our towels last forever and are super easy to wash!

Machine wash warm with liquid detergent (NO FABRIC SOFTENER) and only wash microfiber with microfiber. Air dry is fine - machine drying is fine also. If they ever get stiff or feel like they are losing their "plush-ness" just boil them in some water and vinegar for 15 minutes or so and they'll be perfect again!

Also wash after every use. However, hang them up to dry rather than use drier. My experience has been that using the drier can sometimes result in lint which can be a pain in the neck (or lower extremity) to remove from car :2thumbs:

After dry, fold and place in plastic baggie to keep dust off (bear in mind the Vette is black and I hate dust ) :willy:

Edited by xlr8rvette

Never thought about storing them in a zip lock baggie to keep the dust off. Great idea! Thanks!:)

I keep everything in a ziploc: pc pads, mf pads, towels, sponges. Just make sure they are 100% dry before putting them in there otherwise the next day it'll be loaded with condensation and a musty smell.

After dry, fold and place in plastic baggie to keep dust off :willy:

I do the same with my skivies after they come out of the wash !!!

...otherwise the next day it'll be loaded with condensation and a musty smell

:lolsmack:

Edited by dvalentine

I keep everything in a ziploc: pc pads, mf pads, towels, sponges. Just make sure they are 100% dry before putting them in there otherwise the next day it'll be loaded with condensation and a musty smell.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! :)

I also wash all my MF after every use. I just got the Adam's MF aplicator pads. Does anyone clean them in the washer with their other MF? After I get most of the polish out with the all purpose cleaner I was going to throw them in the wash with my other MF then dry. Is this ok?

Has anyone used a microfiber specific cleaning detergent? I came across this on the detailer domain's website.

microrestorer.jpgIt's called Micro-restore Microfiber Detergent.

I only ask because I seem to have the smell of Adam's detail spray and wax still in my towels. This stuff seems like it's meant for cleaning MF after it has been used with wax, polish, ect. Right now I use 2X ultra Tide original scent. Any thoughts?

Edited by C6Bill

Has anyone used a microfiber specific cleaning detergent? I came across this on the detailer domain's website.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=155 It's called Micro-restore Microfiber Detergent.

I only ask because I seem to have the smell of Adam's detail spray and wax still in my towels. This stuff seems like it's meant for cleaning MF after it has been used with wax, polish, ect. Right now I use 2X ultra Tide original scent. Any thoughts?

:lurk::lurk:

I use a microfiber cleaner from a different company that I mix in with my detergent. There isn't any DS smell or polish or wax smell left in my microfibers. They say it helps release the built up DS, polishes, and waxes and it works for me.

I use that stuff exclusively on my nice polishing towels (adams ones and some other super plush that I have accumulated over the years) it is excellent for caring for them and keeping them like new. Not sure how much better than a regular detergent it is, but for my moneys worth its a little extra insurance. It does seem to do an excellent job of breaking down dried wax/polish residue IMO.

I still use liquid laundry soap on all my glass and cheapy MF towels to conserve the MF detergent. No sense on wasting good products on cheap towels IMO.

Thanks for the replies. Dylan glad to hear that it works for you and that it actually breaks down the cleaning chemicals in the towels. I don't have a lot of MF but the few I have I want to keep in excellent condition. If I get some extra money I might pick up some of this stuff. Just can't let the girlfriend know I'm spending $30 on MF soap. :cheers:

That's the stuff I use (I got the gallon size, though). It really works wonders. And you don't need that much to do a full load of towels - even that smaller bottle will last you a while.