Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine Bay Cleaning

thatryan

Question

Couple of questions, looking at the new video, the process seems to have changed from hose/APC/brush, to hose->APC->pad wash. 

Is that a better method?

Where does engine bay cleaning fit into the process, before tires/wheels? After wheels but before two-bucket wash?

Should it be dressed with VRT on foam block after washing?

Finally, attached pics of my engine bay and hood, is there any danger here? Do I need to cover anything before going to town?

2013 BMW 335

Thanks!

post-10925-0-13891900-1424117232_thumb.jpg

post-10925-0-02492600-1424117235_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

What I do is after hosing down the engine bay  (cold engine) I spray everything with APC let it set for a little while.

Then I agitate with a Adam's fender brush or Boar Hairs brush. Then I start washing the wheels and the rest of the car......after that I dry the engine compartment first with the master blaster followed by the rest of the car. As far as dressing the engine compartment I use the block sponge & SVRT to get the larger surfaces and In and Out Spray for all of the rest....

No need to cover anything. I prefer to agitate with brushes rather than using wash pads.

Dress with VRT and in and out soray when dry. You can blow dry with a blaster Sidekick or just let air dry before dressing.

I clean the engine bay out twice a year and i between I just wipe down the plastics with diluted rinseless.

No need to cover anything. I prefer to agitate with brushes rather than using wash pads.

Dress with VRT and in and out soray when dry. You can blow dry with a blaster Sidekick or just let air dry before dressing.

I clean the engine bay out twice a year and i between I just wipe down the plastics with diluted rinseless.

+1, though I clean my engine bay several times a year (before every show).  Since I don't own a Blaster, I blow-dry with the cheaper, multi-purpose leaf blower.

I wash the engine bay in my Camaro frequently and I don't cover anything, light fan with the hose etc, etc. How about a 2016 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel? Long road trip and my engine is filthy. I don't feel as comfy doing the same as my Camaro. Any suggestions, experiences, or just do the same? 

I've searched YouTube and I've found from "don't do it" to "pressure washer crazy"......Using pressure washer I think is "Crazy".