Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage dimensions

SJC96GT

Is that what yours is 21? Is it really tight? I'll see if I'm able to make the changes after talking to the seller into adding 4 ft onto the width of the garage, I should've also told him add 3 ft to the depth too. I'm kicking myself in the rear for not mentioning it. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what I can do.

Edited by SJC96GT

As a point of reference my garage is 28 ft deep by 16 ft wide. At 16 ft wide i can barely open the doors on my ST when parked next to roommates car. Depth wise 28 ft is great i can park car at one end and still have plenty of room for a project taking up a portion of garage

As a point of reference my garage is 28 ft deep by 16 ft wide. At 16 ft wide i can barely open the doors on my ST when parked next to roommates car. Depth wise 28 ft is great i can park car at one end and still have plenty of room for a project taking up a portion of garage

I guess I'm going to have to call the seller of the house and see if I can have him add an extra 3-4 ft to the depth of the garage. I'm hoping he is able to with no added cost. I already talked him into adding 4 ft to the width without added cost.lol

Mine is 24' wide by 45' deep.  And it isn't big enough.  Go as big as you can.  When I first built it I thought it was decent size.  Now, 15 years later it is too small.

To the OP, you may be restricted as to how much you can add due to where property lines may lie.  Codes are different everywhere, but for example if I remember right, here it was 10' from property line on living side and 5' from property line on non-living side.

Mine is 24' wide by 45' deep. And it isn't big enough. Go as big as you can. When I first built it I thought it was decent size. Now, 15 years later it is too small.

To the OP, you may be restricted as to how much you can add due to where property lines may lie. Codes are different everywhere, but for example if I remember right, here it was 10' from property line on living side and 5' from property line on non-living side.

I won't have any restrictions on how much I can add other than adding cost to total for house. I'll see if another 3-4 ft can be added without adding to the total cost. I already negotiated with him in order to get the 4 ft added to the width without adding to the total cost. I'm just really kicking myself in the rear for not mentioning earlier today when I met up with him to discuss everything. Edited by SJC96GT

I'm at a price I don't feel like increasing too much more. A lift in the garage would be great for sure but that's really expensive. For now the floor jack is going to have to be my only option. Both my cars a Focus ST and Mustang GT aren't that long. Mustang being the longest at 15.125 ft and Focus being 14.3 ft long. So maybe the depth of 21 ft won't be too bad then?

Is there any storage you are planning in the garage part of this 26x21? 

Reason I ask is that will take some room as well.  I got lucky and the 28x16 doesn't include any of the space I put shelves for all my tools/detailing supplies

You can get the lift down the road and it wouldn't cost a lot more for higher ceiling.....then your 2 car garage can hold 3 cars. Scissor trusses will give you more height.

I don't know..lol That'd be awesome for sure! I think the higher ceiling is just going to jack the price above what I'm comfortable with.

Is there any storage you are planning in the garage part of this 26x21?

Reason I ask is that will take some room as well. I got lucky and the 28x16 doesn't include any of the space I put shelves for all my tools/detailing supplies

Only things I planned on having in garage is a floor jack, jack stands, my craftsman tool set (it'll probably sit on workbench), an air compressor, a workbench centered in the garage, cabinets above that, a swivel chair that'll fit underneath work bench and my detailing cart. The house is going to have a full basement with a walk out and I planned on storing whatever else down there. Do you think all that will take up too much room? I didn't think that was too bad or required too much space. Edited by SJC96GT

My garage is 28 foot deep. Enough room for my crew cab short bed Silverado, 3 foot deep workbench and a little room to work in the front and back.  I did fit a crew cab long bed f250 in there once with the hitch off.  I personally wouldn't go any shorter than that as long as its in the budget.  I know you only have cars now but you never know what you may want to put in there in the future.

My garage is 28 foot deep. Enough room for my crew cab short bed Silverado, 3 foot deep workbench and a little room to work in the front and back.  I did fit a crew cab long bed f250 in there once with the hitch off.  I personally wouldn't go any shorter than that as long as its in the budget.  I know you only have cars now but you never know what you may want to put in there in the future.

Good point, I'm going to see if I can add 3-4 ft to it which should help.

I don't know..lol That'd be awesome for sure! I think the higher ceiling is just going to jack the price above what I'm comfortable with.

Only things I planned on having in garage is a floor jack, jack stands, my craftsman tool set (it'll probably sit on workbench), an air compressor, a workbench centered in the garage, cabinets above that, a swivel chair that'll fit underneath work bench and my detailing cart. The house is going to have a full basement with a walk out and I planned on storing whatever else down there. Do you think all that will take up too much room? I didn't think that was too bad or required too much space.

That won't be too bad. All that would probably fit along back wall with some extra room and shouldn't take up a terrible amount of depth.  Though hopefully you are able to add the 3-4 ft just so you have extra room to play with.

That won't be too bad. All that would probably fit along back wall with some extra room and shouldn't take up a terrible amount of depth.  Though hopefully you are able to add the 3-4 ft just so you have extra room to play with.

Hopefully it's not too bad and that I'm able to add the extra 3-4 ft.

Is that what yours is 21? Is it really tight? I'll see if I'm able to make the changes after talking to the seller into adding 4 ft onto the width of the garage, I should've also told him add 3 ft to the depth too. I'm kicking myself in the rear for not mentioning it. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what I can do.

My current garage is 24 feet deep and I want it to be deeper.  Currently mine is 26 feet wide x 24 feet deep.  

My attached 2-car is almost exactly 24'x24' with a garage door for each bay.  I honestly would not want any smaller for a 2-car garage, because at this size, it leaves me enough room to fully open every door on both vehicles without hitting walls or the other vehicle. With my truck being just over 17 feet long and the GTO being just under 16 feet, it also leaves enough room for a work bench in front of the one stall and my old Sonoma seats in front of the other stall as a small seating area, while still having a few feet of work room behind each vehicle.

My detached is 21' wide by 28' deep with one wide garage door. It can still fit two vehicles fairly easy, but entering and exiting the vehicles is a much tighter space. The four garage bays and the view from my backyard are the two main reasons I bought the house. The full energy star certification and other walls and junk were just nice bonuses  :lol:  I do wish they both had taller ceilings though...oh well.

My current garage is 24 feet deep and I want it to be deeper.  Currently mine is 26 feet wide x 24 feet deep.

I'm thinking that's what I'm going to try and have mine be. I'd love to have more depth to the garage but I just can't have the price increase.

My attached 2-car is almost exactly 24'x24' with a garage door for each bay.  I honestly would not want any smaller for a 2-car garage, because at this size, it leaves me enough room to fully open every door on both vehicles without hitting walls or the other vehicle. With my truck being just over 17 feet long and the GTO being just under 16 feet, it also leaves enough room for a work bench in front of the one stall and my old Sonoma seats in front of the other stall as a small seating area, while still having a few feet of work room behind each vehicle.

My detached is 21' wide by 28' deep with one wide garage door. It can still fit two vehicles fairly easy, but entering and exiting the vehicles is a much tighter space. The four garage bays and the view from my backyard are the two main reasons I bought the house. The full energy star certification and other walls and junk were just nice bonuses  :lol:  I do wish they both had taller ceilings though...oh well.

So if I'm able to get the extra 3-4 ft added to the depth, I should be good. I bet that's pretty nice having 4 garage bays, maybe in the future I can add a detached garage to the property.

I have a 24x 24 and enough room to detail and move around in.Work bench, cabinets,compresser, detail supplies, etc.all fit fine.Maybe a 4 to 5 foot "bump out" on one of the sides would be a great idea for storage of bigger things like tool boxes, compresser, etc., fit nice into that little space and don't protrude into your work/storage area.

I have a 24x 24 and enough room to detail and move around in.Work bench, cabinets,compresser, detail supplies, etc.all fit fine.Maybe a 4 to 5 foot "bump out" on one of the sides would be a great idea for storage of bigger things like tool boxes, compresser, etc., fit nice into that little space and don't protrude into your work/storage area.

Good to know, my most important thing was having enough space to detail and wash cars in the garage without having to open up the garage doors.

When my son had his garage built the scissor trusses did not cost anymore.......

I'll see what I can have done and whether that'll increase the price or not.

Edited by SJC96GT