Customer Service 866.965.0400

trying to figure a quote on a detail job???

Zach5.9CTD

Question

Hey guys, I've been super busy lately promoting my detailing business and trying to get a customer base started. Anyway I had a guy contact me Tues night about doing a full complete interior and exterior detail on his custom peterbilt semi tractor. He wants "everything" done as well as all chrome and alum polished etc. Never done a semi tractor before and unsure of current condition of truck as he's over 2 hours away from me. So if I could get some input on how to figure pricing this job out that'd be awesome.

Where I'm located in small town Iowa no one will probably pay a big market big city on price. Anyway, below are attached my current price sheet along with a picture of this guys rig. Please see if you can help me out some here.

post-2511-0-58208600-1427387583_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-48264000-1427387612_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-23551200-1427387630_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

My dad is an OTR owner-operator and I remember doing his Freightliner years ago.  The overall length was probably 2/3 of that Peterbilt and not as much exposed metal to polish (fiberglass fairings covering the tanks).  I don't recall exactly how many hours it took but it was a full weekend.  I base my work on how many hours I think I will need to meet my customer's expectations plus a bit more to meet mine.  I would only feel comfortable giving this customer a ballpark quote with the scope of work you're talking about and the fact that you're trying to quote sight unseen.

If you're talking about polishing all that metal (bumpers, wheels, tanks, smokestacks, etc), you're probably looking at 3 days.  Heck, I'd spend 2 days on my BMW if I had the time.  That's a major job you got there, buddy.  One that I would love to have lined up, though.  Should be worth the work.

My 2 cents worth..................

Edited by issacortiz

Charge by the hour and go from there, I charge $45 per hour on my hourly jobs.  If he wants a ballpark estimate I'd ballpark it high, maybe $1,500-2,000 just on time and products used up in the process and you know its probably going to take more time than you initially thought.

Its a friggin Peterbilt bro.  ^^^What Holder said.  Just tell him an hourly rate and by actual time/product spent and used.

I'd rather quote high and tell the customer it took me less time when all is said and done, and that he owes less for the job, than the other way around.  You're going to go through about 2 bottles of each Metal Polish alone lol.

And he wants it polished too?  As in one step or 2-step?  Think of surface area, hitting all the areas, etc with a machine.  Even with a Flex and 7" pads you'll be working for a while, if it takes you a couple hours to do a sedan with a 1-step polish just imagine something 10x as big.

If it was wash and wax thats a different story but if he wants "the works" I think you're shooting yourself low at 1000.  You'll be working from sunrise to sunset for 3 days solid on that machine.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

+ 1 on both of these last 2 posts. 

Rigs are a different ballgame with all the spilled diesel and grease from the 5th wheel.  Granted, most Peterbilt owners do take more pride in their rigs but it's still a rig.  At $1K, you will be making less than the kid at the local Taco Bell when it's all said and done.

One more thing, assuming this guy owns that beast outright, he's running a small business.  Something like this expense can be itemized as a business expense for him come tax time. Just a thought.

Edited by issacortiz

Theres effectively 2 ways you can price out detailing (on anything, not just semi's) and its an end result driven model.

Menu pricing = I will perform a set number of steps, the result you get is the result you get. It may not be perfect, but you're only paying me for a fixed amount of time. With these its generally best to give the customer a rough idea of the level of improvement they'll see... even offer to do a 2x2 panel to show them what a fixed number of steps gets them.

Hourly pricing = I'll work till its perfect (or whatever standard the customer defines). This kind of work is usually for those looking to get a ride to absolutely flawless. I generally like to set 'check in points' along the way with these jobs. Let the customer know when I reach a certain hour point (say its estimated at 16 hours, I check with them no later than 8 hours in and let them know where we're at and if it can be completed in the estimated time) this way if you get 8 hours in, realize that your 16 hour job is more of a 22 hour job you can let the customer know and give them the chance to adjust their plans. (increase the hours or change to a set number of steps).

Hopefully that makes sense - but really what you need to know to properly quote this:
Does the customer expect perfect or do they expect improved? Perfect takes much more time and can be very unpredictable in terms of labor. Big improvement in a set number of steps is something you can predict and bid out at a solid price.

Anywhere near I80 Truck Stop?  Wonder what their starting numbers might run?? Then their "perfection" rate?  How many people (manhours) they would bill?

Could also be a foot in the door (cab has number??) for more/future work but if you underbid yourself you'll basicly be working for peanuts and be flooded with work until you have a gutfull.  

The challenge is there, opportunity is there, but will the desire be there for the next time or next one?