Customer Service 866.965.0400

New z06 xpel or not?

badhabit_wb

Question

I have a 2015 Velocity Yellow Z06 and I'm trying to decide whether to have xpel ultimate installed on the front,hood,mirrors,front fenders, rear area behind the doors where the factory clear protection is. I plan on keeping the car for a lot of years so I want to make sure I take care of it. It will not be a daily drive and I keep it in a temperature controlled garage. I've had it almost a month and have a little over 800 miles on it. If I put paint protection on it I want to do it soon but I also don't want to do something that will take away from the shine. I was at the dealership when the car came in on the truck and no one has washed it but me. So far no swirl marks and I haven't clayed or polished it yet. I did put brilliant glaze on it yesterday to give it a little shine. The paint looks good enough that I think finishing polish or revive will take care of whatever I need to do correction wise. I usually wash or waterless wash every time I take the car out.  I'm a little ocd about keeping it looking it's best. 

I always try to keep a lot of distance between my car and the cars I'm following to avoid rock chips but I'm afraid that sooner or later if I don't put on the xpel i'll get some, that said I've heard that when the xpel has to be replaced the chips show up when the old film is removed. If any of you guys have experience with xpel let me know, good or bad. I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I just clay, correct, and seal/wax or go with the xpel? 

2. If I do decide to put the xpel on should I clay and do paint correction before i take it to the installer?

post-12384-0-34285800-1429404845_thumb.jpg

I think the 3m product looks great too. I was told that the adhesive was tougher but that the xpel had more gloss. I think it would probably be hard to go too far wrong with any of the higher end products. They've all come a long way in the last few years. I have a bunch of trucks and we've been using 3m vinyl decals and lettering for over 20 years with good results.

Edited by badhabit_wb

Considering my last clear bra on my previous car was applied in 2008 that 7 year timespan is great. My installer in 2008 said that the warranty was approx 4-5 years at the time

The technology is moving along nicely as far as durability goes

I've been wanting to do this real bad to my front. Want to cover the front bumper and hood along with mirrors. I would want a wrapped edge as well this way you really can't tell. Too bad it would cost over 1000 for it.

I'm also very curious how it will look sealed compared to rest of car that won't be xpeled

Badhabit, what parts are you getting covered and how much?

Edited by Z06Seal

I started out covering just the front clip, fenders,bumper,hood, and top and side mirrors, also the lower edge under the door and back to the top of the brake ducts behind the door, and all of the splitters. I could tell a difference in the doors and fenders but I asked 10 other people and they couldn't. I think on any color other than velocity yellow or white you wouldn't notice it. I took it back and got the rest of the car done and I'm glad I did. I went to a going away party for a friend over the weekend and had a lot of people look at the car and nobody noticed the xpel. When I told the other "car nuts" it was on there they didn't believe me at first. I ended up with 3500 in everything but the installation is as close to perfect as you could get. I think the installer is the main thing and the product is secondary.

so you wrapped the entire car? wow. some serious protection lol

Yeah I ended up wrapping everything. If I had known, in advance, what the cost would be I wouldn't have done it. That said, now that I see how good a job it's doing, I'd do it again. The price is intimidating and even at 1900 it was more than I wanted to spend for tinting and wrap. If I keep the car as long as I usually keep a car it will be well worth it, especially when it comes time to sell and the paint looks like new. 

I just had Xpel applied to my 2013 Viper, topped by CQuartz. With this combo, a little Detail Spray and I'm good?

I thought about that too. I'll probably just put sealant on it and clean it when it needs it. With the xpel dirt almost falls off anyway. I have noticed it's a lot easier to clean now, especially bugs on the bumper.