Customer Service 866.965.0400

Proper method for washing 7" foam pads

Zach5.9CTD

Question

15 answers to this question

Ok gotcha. My megs 2.0 pads are machine washable so I figured I'd better ask. How warm/hot should water be and how can i tell when their cleaned out? Does this go for the small ufo/hex/MF pads as well or can they be machine washed.

I would only machine wash the MF applicator pads, I wash them with my MF towels.

However,

Hand wash your foam applicators, and your buffing pads.  APC or MFR, followed by hot water.  Hot water will work well.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Even if Megs says they are machine washable I still wouldn't. Thats how hook and loop systems get messed up.

APC, Hot Water and your Thumb are going to be the best ways to get old polish out of a pad.

Occasionally I will soak my older pads in a solution of hot water and APC face down to loosen up any left over polish.

ok.  would it be ok to use a soft bristled brush to aid in cleaning the buffing pad or just APC, water and my fingers.

Brush is fine, I actually use the pad brush when I clean mine.

also, use APC straight out of the bottle or dilute?

Straight... you can use diluted, but you'll probably spend more time and have to repeat, so it ends up being a push.

ok cool guys, im in the middle of hammering out my 2010 Ram, only bought 1 set of the 7" pads, so i did half the truck on correction, will clean and let that pad dry, will follow up with finishing polish and white pad then hit the other side of the truck.  Guess i need to buy another set or 2 of pads!

Yep, I always make sure I have at least 2 or 3 sets of polishing pads ready to go when I start on a vehicle, whether they be 7" pads for the Flex or the 4" pads for the Cyclo.

One of your other questions I didn't see answered, you will know they're clean when there is no more colored polish residue coming out of the pads when you're squeezing them under the hot water.  I use the pad conditioning brush on my foam pads as well as using my thumbs to work all of the polish out.

I clean my blue square microfiber applicators, ufo applicators, and hex grip applicators in the same fashion with APC.

Edited by psu goat

thanks for the ideas guys, i used APC as well as Dawn for the sealant/glaze/wax pads, they seemed greasier and were coming as clean as quick as polishing pads, probably due to the nature of he product to repel water hah!  I get em all cleaned out though, mine are drying on a window sill straddling the sill and 2 chair backs.