Customer Service 866.965.0400

Setting up the ideal home detailing garage

TheStandardDetailing

Question

Here's my "detailing shop"  :P

Sweet setup Gary!  Looks sharp and very well organized.

You just need to figure out how to get a utility sink in there.  The very first thing I did after moving in to my current place was to put sinks in the garage and laundry room.  I can't imagine not having one in my "detailing shop".

Is your garage attached to the house?  Any bathrooms or kitchens on the other sides of any of those garage walls?  Basement in the house?  Can you get a drain and supply lines from there?

20150514_204914.jpg

You just need to figure out how to get a utility sink in there.  The very first thing I did after moving in to my current place was to put sinks in the garage and laundry room.  I can't imagine not having one in my "detailing shop".

Totally agree with The Wolf.  A sink in the garage is great for a hundred reasons.  As he said, if you can figure out the water supply and drainage issue you're most of the way there.  If you don't want to put in cabinets or are looking for a cheaper option, we installed a mop sink (sometimes called a utility or laundry sink) which is a stand alone unit.  Similar to the one in the link below.  Great for soaking dirty MF towels.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MUSTEE-20-in-x-34-in-Plastic-Floor-Mount-Laundry-Tub-19CFT/202041458?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=Cj0KEQjwstaqBRCT38DWpZjJotIBEiQAERS6_A2aWi_lbE8LjeWfJwPwUailpnsbV4ERgDvqLwa3RUoaAvSB8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

We currently rent and the 1 car garage is just enough to park my car and harley. Not much space on sides. I have plenty of ideas and I like to gather more ideas from these threads for when we buy our house in the next 3-5 years and I get to have my own 2 car garage I can dress to my pleasing. Wife can fix up the kitchen, and I will fix up the garage :) It will house only the weekend toys. no daily drivers in there (or to detail vehicles)

Here is my work in progress. I currently live in my grandparents' former home and my grandfather had this shop built.

0B61E41E-D4E9-47EB-804B-D5CEC65AD183.jpg

It is about 32+ years old and the roof leaks in a few spots, but It is full of shelving space.... whch is full of junk, LOL!

254ED6D5-2B51-4AF6-808F-FA77D4D1367E.jpg

CFA7801C-0A5B-461C-B7A3-E42C561C257B.jpg

I am slowly but surely cleaning things up and arranging things better. Here is the first set of shelves that I have cleaned and "organized".

C1DA1F62-73DE-4295-A0C9-10D8BF3A8CEB.jpg

Still a lot to do. When I first moved here 13 years ago I drove the Camaro you see in the shop. It was white and I washed it 3 times a week at least, LOL. I kept the shop clean back then because I parked it in there. Insurance made me put a gate up in the drive to the back so i stopped parking in there and it slowly started piling up.

Anyway, this is a cart I got from Harbor Freight. I modified it to hold my 2 bucket wash system and my other most-used products.

1CBA639E-DBBD-4196-8A04-20DA627C337E.jpg

AA20F475-4342-4CAF-A9A5-92C952200478.jpg

C4C3D12D-6F38-4178-9D15-5DE201A829A2.jpg

Sorry if this seems like a thread-jacking, but I figured this was a good place instead of starting a new thread.

All I did was cut two 11 1/4" holes about 1" from the sides (to make room for the sides of the bucket). Here is the cart. http://m.harborfreight.com/24-inch-x-36-inch-industrial-polypropylene-service-cart-92862.html
I got mine on sale for $99.

*EDIT* I actually paid $135, I was mistaken lol!

Edited by chops1sc

It all started when I was looking at the bucket dollies. I have a bad back and lugging 2 buckets of water was getting really old, really fast. Well, the dollies are at best $30 each so I was already willing to spend $60+ to get my buckets mobile. I was looking at Harbor Freight's website to see if they had any when I saw their carts were on sale. They have a smaller one, too. http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/service-carts/16-x-30-two-shelf-industrial-polypropylene-service-cart-69443.html

Actually, this is the $99 one lol. I got the $135 one, but you get the idea either way. You could do the same with the smaller one. I killed 2 birds with one stone; no more picking up heavy buckets (except to wash them out), and I can push them around the truck along with my other stuff.

Edited by chops1sc

It all started when I was looking at the bucket dollies. I have a bad back and lugging 2 buckets of water was getting really old, really fast. Well, the dollies are at best $30 each so I was already willing to spend $60+ to get my buckets mobile. I was looking at Harbor Freight's website to see if they had any when I saw their carts were on sale. They have a smaller one, too. http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/service-carts/16-x-30-two-shelf-industrial-polypropylene-service-cart-69443.html

Actually, this is the $99 one lol. I got the $135 one, but you get the idea either way. You could do the same with the smaller one. I killed 2 birds with one stone; no more picking up heavy buckets (except to wash them out), and I can push them around the truck along with my other stuff.

And I like how you've got them up higher than the bucket caddies. I'd love to see Adams come out with something like this. I love it! Nicely done.

More pics please!

Edited by PT3

Sweet setup Gary!  Looks sharp and very well organized.

Is your garage attached to the house?  Any bathrooms or kitchens on the other sides of any of those garage walls?  Basement in the house?  Can you get a drain and supply lines from there?

attachicon.gif20150514_204914.jpg

Love the container labeling.  How did you do that?

So for "Fathers Day" I will be getting some additional lighting for my garage. I think I am going to order the below 2 fixtures to start and add an additional 2 later. What I do not know about is the type of bulb. I want the daylight feel so I am not sure if the highest "K" number is the best. It appears to range from 3000-6150K's. I know the larger the number the brighter the bulb, but I know it might not necessarily show all the colors as true as they are. What do you guys use in your spaces?

e74b6b48-0ad2-4914-9c2a-b325a0088bd9_400

What I do not know about is the type of bulb. I want the daylight feel so I am not sure if the highest "K" number is the best. It appears to range from 3000-6150K's. I know the larger the number the brighter the bulb, but I know it might not necessarily show all the colors as true as they are.

I know for LED's the daylight bulbs are 5000 K.