Customer Service 866.965.0400

"Secret to Removing Oxidation" - can this work with Adams products?

mmflpa

Question

Some of you may have read my previous post about my "new to me" 73 bronco with pretty bad oxidation. I was told to use the 2 step polish method, but after talking to the person who will be doing my repaint in the fall, the person doing my restore, and getting a better look at the hood once I got the car back from the shop, I am hesitant to do that. Several people have suggested I read the following article: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

I am very happy with Adams products on my daily driver (2014 Grand Cherokee), but I do everything by hand, including buttery wax. Because my paint is such bad shape, a single stage metallic, and I have never used a machine for anything, I am worried about using the 2 step polish from Adams, but would like to use everything else Adams, especially since I have a garage full of it already. 

So here is my question.. If I clay bar (Adam's), and then do steps detailed in the link using mcguires #7 show car glaze, could I use Brilliant Glaze after the polish, and then follow it up with Buttery Wax? Would this be the proper order?

Also, as a side note, the bronco is way too dirty to do a waterless wash- I don't think it has been washed in years- I am planning on using foam first, then the 2 bucket method (all Adams). 

Pics of my hood are attached

post-12873-0-33755300-1431359595_thumb.jpg

post-12873-0-00216900-1431359604_thumb.jpg

post-12873-0-94757700-1431359609_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

If you replace the Megs #7 with Revive you will be getting the same effect, Megs is not a true glaze but more of a final polish.

I wouldn't be recommending a Meg's product use on an Adam's forum

And to get some awesome results I hope you have good shoulders and arms, on that Bronco you'll need it if performing all steps by hand LOL

post-12347-0-38750600-1431361632_thumb.jpg

post-12347-0-63729700-1431361670_thumb.jpg

Although you vehicle is single stage paint, and the photos attached show base coat, clear coat, looking at how poor the paint condition was on this Corvette, and how it appeared after just using Adam's Correcting Polish with a machine, you may want to reconsider your "by hand" methods and get the right tool for the job?

You paint should be clean up just as well, in my opinion.

If you replace the Megs #7 with Revive you will be getting the same effect, Megs is not a true glaze but more of a final polish.

I wouldn't be recommending a Meg's product use on an Adam's forum

And to get some awesome results I hope you have good shoulders and arms, on that Bronco you'll need it if performing all steps by hand LOL

I would rather use Adam's products, I just did not know there was something similar. Revive is Adams version? Going to look into that

attachicon.gifC4 Hood.jpg

attachicon.gifC4 Frt. End.jpg

Although you vehicle is single stage paint, and the photos attached show base coat, clear coat, looking at how poor the paint condition was on this Corvette, and how it appeared after just using Adam's Correcting Polish with a machine, you may want to reconsider your "by hand" methods and get the right tool for the job?

You paint should be clean up just as well, in my opinion.

The car is getting a frame off restore in the fall, and the guy who is doing the paint took one look at my paint and said it was so thin in spots that he wouldnt touch it with a machine. I was nervous about it so I asked him if he would do it for me, and he said no way. I have also posted about it on Classic Broncos, and they suggested NuFinish, but I really think there has to be a better solution than that. Plus, I would like to use the Adams products I have and am happy with. 

Virtually impossible to KNOW a paintjob is thin simply by looking at it... Unless its so thin you can see thru it. It is easy to assume that it might be considering the age and condition, but (without offense to your restoration guy) unless his eyes are outfitted with some kind of bionic sensor or he scoped the paint with the appropriate tool he has no way of knowing.

For example - this weekend our clinic demo car was a very cool 91 Porsche Turbo with factory original paint. It had a few scratches that I wanted to sand out. Looking at it the paint looked FANTASTIC... but after taking a gauge to the paint we found that we had less than 80mils of coating in some of the rear parts of the fenders, but the front side was 120+

Thats a big swing in thickness and I wouldn't feel comfortable sanding a panel with 80 mils of 24 year old paint on it, but looking at it I would've thought we had more than enough to work with. Long story short - your paint MIGHT be thin, but it also might not be. Back in the day they laid single stage down THICK so theres a chance theres a lot to work with, but if its been resprayed you really can't know.

You're going to have to use a Polisher to get that much oxidation off and a flawless swirl free finish. No matter what brand you look at, there will be no magical product. The Revive will help with the oxidation but I don't think you'll get that true shine back with hands alone.

I do recommend using revive at some point during the process though.

Edited by Kingsford

^Piggybacking, I'd get the paint measured.  Any good local detailer should be able to give you a paint thickness average if they own a gauge (and they should own one), probably for a few bucks.

I was only remarking about Revive since he posted about Megs #7 Show Car Glaze (which is more of a paint cleaner than a glaze), but he def needs PC polish

So, you're getting it restored completely? New paint job and all? If that's the case, where's the harm in trying a one step or two step with a PC or cyclo? Painters normally use rotary buffers with a wool pad, which is A LOT more aggressive than the polish and pad combo Adams offers. That might be the reason your painter didn't want to do it.

2 step it!!! cant hurt it if your gonna repaint eventually at least you will gain some polishing experience

True.. And would be alot easier. I pick it up in a few weeks from the shop, I am going to decide what to do once I get it back.