Customer Service 866.965.0400

Frustrated!

PT3

Question

I did a GDWM Rinseless today. I wipe down the entire car and dry the entire car, vs panel by panel. I also use some DS to rewet the panels for easier drying.

Between the wind, pollen and various 'botanical' debri in the air... I had to constantly battle to keep the surface 'clean'.

By the time I got to drying I stated to pick up green on my drying towel!!!!!! ?!?

How do you guys deal with this? Simply not try to wash the car?

G

A

R

A

G

E

Get one you can park inside of.  :P

Kidding aside, have you thought of getting a setup for touch-less washes?  For light dust and pollen, a quick pressure-washer rinse with DI water works well.  No soap, no drying, takes 15 minutes.

No kidding! I am in the process of planning a move to a different state. So it's going to take a little time to complete.

Not even 5 hours later and it looks like I didn't even wash it! Now I remember why I stopped detailing my daily driver!

Phil,

Not sure if this may help you but I use a 4 litre hand sprayer (garden variety) filled with distilled water to combat any dust/dirt/pollen which may settle during the drying phase of a rinseless wash. I find it to be good insurance on windy/dusty days or even working in basements and carparks of apartment complexes where running water is distant. 

Joseph

This time of year, my car is covered with pollen and a rinseless wash is not a good option. I do a bucket wash and wipe down a section at a time with rinceless just before an application of wax. Environmental conditions are challenging as you stated.

Wife and I moved to a new house in January, and of course the garage is still full of crap, and cant pull in there yet. I spent 2 hours on my car Sunday late afternoon, to wake up and my white pearl car is now fully yellow. The windows seam to be the worst, and I have a pano roof so a large part of the car is glass. 

I never really noticed how bad it got, but I also never had a 7 foot tall pollen factory 2 feet from where I park.

Dealing with black cars I wash and quickly back in the garage to dry off and detail.  The pollen is really bad in my area this year. My truck was spotless when I arrived at work..when I got out it was trashed by pollen and a quick sprinkle. I hate it.

You'd love the year round dust/pollen we get here in AZ. Keep in mind that wax is going to attract more dust/pollen than a sealant is going to.

The pollen is NOWHERE close to what we get in the east. Think of all the botanicals we have here.

Yea, but the AZ peeps have AWFUL water quality and unforgiving sun (water spots) plus a lot more dust and grit to contend with.

Every area has its own challenges... I haven't found the perfect detailing environment anywhere.

No doubt. My move will entail a large, multi-car garage with proper lighting and a lift.

No doubt. My move will entail a large, multi-car garage with proper lighting and a lift.

We finally built a 4-car garage 2 years ago - what a godsend. Never had one before and didn't realize how much I would like it.  My dream (for the next house) is 2 of them - one to store the cars, another for the detailing bay and workshop. 

Anyone have a price per square foot on building a standalone? I have seen anywhere from $25 up to $150. Menards sells the plans and all the materials. I want something like the one below to have a place to wash the car in the rain or anytime of day and not worry about the sunlight. I wonder how much it would cost to have it installed.

1958126-29256-ARTWORK.jpg

As others had said, it's just the life here or everywhere.  I have a black car, and even parked inside the garage, I swear the car is cover with pollen/dust the next morning after I washed the car!

One thing I would do differently is not to use detail spray as it contain some degree of wax and wax is a good attraction for pollen.  I think the new HGG might be a better drying/protection option for the current time of the year.

Just my $0.02.  :)

Anyone have a price per square foot on building a standalone? I have seen anywhere from $25 up to $150. Menards sells the plans and all the materials. I want something like the one below to have a place to wash the car in the rain or anytime of day and not worry about the sunlight. I wonder how much it would cost to have it installed.

1958126-29256-ARTWORK.jpg

I REALLY like that design! Except 4 garage bays with a larger covered center section! Then have a drain in the open covered area! Perfect! Thanks!

We finally built a 4-car garage 2 years ago - what a godsend. Never had one before and didn't realize how much I would like it.  My dream (for the next house) is 2 of them - one to store the cars, another for the detailing bay and workshop.

I had a garage growing up... LOVED it! Did A TON of work in that garage!!. Then nothing for quite some time while I was younger and still building my career. Now I have a single car that I use for a workshop/mud room/tool storage. And now I'm at a place I can build something I've always wanted... a BIG garage with the right set-up and gear!

I REALLY like that design! Except 4 garage bays with a larger covered center section! Then have a drain in the open covered area! Perfect! Thanks!

What's the advantage of having the covered center section?  Make all the bays enclosed and then have one set up as an inside wash bay, with a drain, higher ceilings, and something on the walls that can get wet (tile, epoxy paint, metal siding, FRP panels, etc).  The covered section would only provide shade, there would be no difference in pollen, wind, heat or cold.

The covered center section in that drawing looks nice, but it would actually cost more to build it that way then to have it enclosed.  There is more exterior wall having it open.  That means more footings, foundation walls, framing, siding.  Assuming that each stall is 10 feet wide by 20 feet deep.  The covered center section has 20 linear feet of exterior wall on each side.  If it were enclosed as part of the garage, then there would be 10 linear feet of exterior wall on the back and a single garage door on the front, a rough cost savings of about half.

Unless you actually have four cars that need to get regularly driven in and out of each of the four bays, the most cost efficient way to build the garage is to make each of the stalls deeper, to provide extra room for the tools, toys and other stuff.  If you have two cars, then make a garage 30 feet wide and 30 feet deep, with two garage doors on the front.  If you do an interior wash bay, it does not need to be in addition to any parking bays, you could park in it everyday.

My dream garage would have an interior wash bay with drain, and be set up so that I could come home, pressure-rinse the vehicle with DI water, and walk away.  I would do that nearly every day, giving me 95-99% clean in 5 minutes, and never have to be frustrated about having dust or pollen left on a vehicle.

What's the advantage of having the covered center section? Make all the bays enclosed and then have one set up as an inside wash bay, with a drain, higher ceilings, and something on the walls that can get wet (tile, epoxy paint, metal siding, FRP panels, etc). The covered section would only provide shade, there would be no difference in pollen, wind, heat or cold.

The covered center section in that drawing looks nice, but it would actually cost more to build it that way then to have it enclosed. There is more exterior wall having it open. That means more footings, foundation walls, framing, siding. Assuming that each stall is 10 feet wide by 20 feet deep. The covered center section has 20 linear feet of exterior wall on each side. If it were enclosed as part of the garage, then there would be 10 linear feet of exterior wall on the back and a single garage door on the front, a rough cost savings of about half.

Unless you actually have four cars that need to get regularly driven in and out of each of the four bays, the most cost efficient way to build the garage is to make each of the stalls deeper, to provide extra room for the tools, toys and other stuff. If you have two cars, then make a garage 30 feet wide and 30 feet deep, with two garage doors on the front. If you do an interior wash bay, it does not need to be in addition to any parking bays, you could park in it everyday.

My dream garage would have an interior wash bay with drain, and be set up so that I could come home, pressure-rinse the vehicle with DI water, and walk away. I would do that nearly every day, giving me 95-99% clean in 5 minutes, and never have to be frustrated about having dust or pollen left on a vehicle.

Good points!

My vision is for a 4-car garage with 'additional' space. I have 4 vehicles on the immediate acquisition list, including the daily. The thought was the daily would remain outside. And the idea of an open area is to have an area outside for fresh air, but with shade. I love being outside in the air of possible. Not terribly concerned with the incremental cost to build it one way or the other. I've worked and sacrificed for a long time and I'm going to do it right when I move. I'd also have a drain system for an inside wash as well. Great idea on the covered walls. Didn't get that far yet.

As for your point on depth, you are spot on! I only know this first hand because that's how my dad constructed his two-car garage. It's the only way. Furthermore, a work area in addition to car storage space is key. Plus, the spacing between the cars will be quite a bit larger than standard. This way I can do some work on each without moving anything.

Edited by PhilT3 2014 BMW M5