Customer Service 866.965.0400

Order of operations

ramflava

Question

10 answers to this question

In terms of the whole process or just drying?

Drying I do glass first, then paint, then wheels and finish up by wiping door jambs and areas like that.

In terms of the detail process, assuming the car needs everything:

Clean wheels/tires

Wash

Clay (while car is wet)

Re-wash

Dry

Dress all exterior trim

Paint Correcting Polish + Orange Pad

Paint Finishing Polish + White Pad

Finish with sealant / glaze / or wax

In terms of detailing, but I don't think I was specific enough.

If we start with say....claying. Do you guys start on the hood first? Then do you go to the grill, a pillar, windshield, fenders, etc? Do work the roof 1st? Where do you go from there? How you make sure you get everything?

I find myself getting a slight case of A.D.D and I may start a the hood, then work the left front fender, then to the roof. Then I might go to the doors, or maybe I'll go to the other fender. Just wondering if anyone has a routine to stay consistent.

Also as far as dressing and such. Do you dress trim prior to cleaning the glass? Use in/out spray before a detail spray wipe down? I know these are broad questions, but I'd like to get people's perspectives and tips.

Is wax the absolute last step after dressing? Do you follow a wax with detail spray?

Edited by ramflava

Claying and washing  - I always work "top-down".  Do the roof, glass, hood, trunk, sides, rear, front in that order.

In general - save the dirtiest parts for last.

I tend to do polishing and application in the same order just out of habit.

Like Roger, I have also made a habit out of following the same pattern for all processes.  If you follow the same routine each time for each step, then it becomes automatic and you don't have to remember where you have been or what still needs to be done.

I start with the hood, then the passenger side of the windshield and the passenger side of the roof.  Then to the other side, going clockwise, to do the other half of the roof and then the driver's windshield.  Next, I do all the windows, starting in the same place, front passenger's side, then working my way around clockwise.  Next, the upper half of the body, same starting point and same direction, then the lower half of the body, and finish with the grill and then the bumpers.  Same staring point and same direction for each step.

I do that pattern for the wash, then the dry.  For claying, I make a small adjustment in that I do the glass last, as it is less likely to be scratched by something the clay picked up, but I still start in the same place and go the same direction.  Sealing trim, same start same direction and also work high to low at each section.  For polishing and waxing, I do the whole body at once, instead of top half then lower half.  After washing, drying and claying, the bottom half is already clean and can be polished, sealed or waxed at the same time as the rest of that section.

For your other questions, your protection layer or layers (sealant or wax or both, but sealant first) are done last.  By treating the trim before sealant or wax, it helps keep the trim from being stained should you bump it with the wax applicator.

There is no need to use Detail Spray after applying protection.  Use the Detail Spray at your next wash as a drying agent.

When you get to polishing do you do each step on the entire car then go to the next?  Or better to do it panel by panel going through all steps each time?

Edited by FRCFED

When you get to polishing do you do each step on the entire car then go to the next?  Or better to do it panel by panel going through all steps each time?

Yep. That's how I do it.  But I have a garage and my car is not a daily driver.

Some of us have to do it panel-by-panel due to time constraints.

Do whatever works best for you.