Customer Service 866.965.0400

California Car Washing Law

PerforinTSI

I'm getting mixed messages regarding what we can or can't do in terms of car washing in our driveways in CA.

I've read "The fines will apply only to wasteful outdoor watering, including watering landscaping to the point that runoff flows onto sidewalks, washing a vehicle without a nozzle on the hose, or hosing down sidewalks and driveways.The fines will apply only to wasteful outdoor watering, including watering landscaping to the point that runoff flows onto sidewalks, washing a vehicle without a nozzle on the hose, or hosing down sidewalks and driveways."

So I assume rinsing down the car with my hose would be a no-no, even with a nozzle???

Any Californians on here want to help me out? I went to a coin-op car wash yesterday and got frowned upon by multiple people as they saw me lather the car down using the 2BM with the sign "no bucket washing" clearly behind me :P

I'm getting mixed messages regarding what we can or can't do in terms of car washing in our driveways in CA.

I've read "The fines will apply only to wasteful outdoor watering, including watering landscaping to the point that runoff flows onto sidewalks, washing a vehicle without a nozzle on the hose, or hosing down sidewalks and driveways.The fines will apply only to wasteful outdoor watering, including watering landscaping to the point that runoff flows onto sidewalks, washing a vehicle without a nozzle on the hose, or hosing down sidewalks and driveways."

So I assume rinsing down the car with my hose would be a no-no, even with a nozzle???

Any Californians on here want to help me out? I went to a coin-op car wash yesterday and got frowned upon by multiple people as they saw me lather the car down using the 2BM with the sign "no bucket washing" clearly behind me :P

As I understand it the rules are enforced on a county by county basis - some allow you to wash a car, but the hose must be shut off when not actively rinsing. Others don't allow for ANY runoff of any kind and even being outside with a soapy bucket is grounds for a fine.

Like Matt suggested - switch to Rinseless washing IMO - not only would that put you out of harms way in terms of any potential fines, you're then part of the solution to CA's drought issue by reducing your water usage. As a former CA resident I would also be annoyed not being able to keep my car clean or my yard green, but even worse is the prospect of the state running out of water and having much larger issues.

To help a bit I recently shot this video specifically for markets impacted by water restriction -

^Great tips Matt and Dylan, yes to all our California friends, stock up on distilled water or just use tap if you really want to, and you'll realize that you can literally clean 1-2 cars with just a bucket of soaked towels and a gallon of rinseless solution mixed up (plus whatever you use as a pre-soak in your spray bottle).  The #1 Eco friendly way to safely wash and shine!

This is great! Thanks to all of you for your great responses. Dylan, thank you for your detailed response :] All of the advice I've received from this simple question makes me more confident that my investment in Adam's products doesn't stop at the excellent products, but the incredible community as well.

Thanks again for all your help! Looks like I'm gonna be adding some rinseless wash to my next order (and maybe that wash wedge too!).

Here in Fresno, CA off their site it states:. Car washing is still bucket-only with a hose equipped with a nozzle for a quick rinse. I think this is only on your water days, I assume. I use waterless, but would like to do a foam/full strip wash but will try to just strip wash it waterless.

Does or has anyone cleaned wheels with deep wheel cleaner and cleaned wheel wells with APC without use of a hose? Kinda like a waterless/bucket or sprayer version? Probably not an easy choice and just might have to break out the hose and take my chances with the city and HOA community.

I wouldn't risk Deep Wheel Cleaner without a hose. You really don't want it to dry on the wheel and without a hose it would be hard to reach everything. Plus, it would be quite messy!

Using a microfiber towel and APC you should be able to get a majority of the wheel wells provided you have enough room for your hands to fit back there.

I was joking at work, we should reformulate our car wash with an added lawn fertilizer!

My understanding is the nozzle must be an auto shut off type. I wash out in the backyard and have really reduced my water usage. I also put restrictors in the showers and am adding a instant hot water system that reduces waste in the shower waiting for hot water. And I'm only watering twice a week.

Bruce

My town currently has similar restrictions; if washing your car the hose must have a nozzle on it, and you can't use water to clean your driveway/nearby sidewalks. It's a pain for people like us who love to keep our cars clean, but the alternative methods should help us get by.

Unfortunately, I've only washed my truck twice this year in order to conserve.  Last year I also washed it maybe 5 times total.  In previous years, I would wash every 2 or three weeks on nice weather days when water levels were ok.

Does or has anyone cleaned wheels with deep wheel cleaner and cleaned wheel wells with APC without use of a hose? Kinda like a waterless/bucket or sprayer version? Probably not an easy choice and just might have to break out the hose and take my chances with the city and HOA community.

I have used APC on wheels and tires then rinsed with Rinseless wash (at wash dilution) in a 1/2 gal. pump-up sprayer.  Not sure how this would work on something as thick as DWC.

fellow cali guy here

live life on the edge lol i still watch it on my driveway, or ill put the dog away in the garage and wash it in  my back yard, i got to many stuff to take it to the coin place and if i wash it there its gonna be dirty to wax or seal it by the time i get  home