Customer Service 866.965.0400

Someone please tell me what these are

BitterGreg

Question

Went outside and saw thousands of these tiny yellow bugs all over my car. They appear to fly, and I could not find them anywhere else around my house or yard.

Sorry for the quality, I had to take a pic of a pic.

post-12064-0-26828300-1433110461_thumb.jpgpost-12064-0-43359100-1433110470_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

One of my biggest pet peeves is the bugs that land on my car when I'm washing / drying it. Esp when Ive misted the entire car with DS to thwart water spots and as I go around drying I inadvertently pick up bugs with my drying towel!! AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

And I feel this never happened before this year... Could just be me though.

I see those on my truck all the time. I think they are no seeums, although I could be mistaken.

EDIT: I think they are "Eastern Flower Thrips"

https://www.google.com/search?q=eastern+flower+thrips&biw=1600&bih=751&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=kqxrVbbSDcK5sAWW-oPgDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

Edited by chops1sc

Serious question though, they were on there for quite some time, what are the chances they were eating away at the wax?

Please tell me you are joking with this.  Pretty please.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

more often than not the color is the attracting factor... sometimes smells.

I've noticed a REMARKABLE increase in bugs sitting on my Raptor, where black and gray cars in the lot with the same products on them are bug free. If I remember correctly we talked about this awhile back and someone shared a link that showed how most insects see in the ultraviolet spectrum (so they can spot flowers and similar things) and as a result were more attracted to bright/reflective colors than dark b/c of how the light behaved.

Please tell me you are joking with this.  Pretty please.

lol, I dont mean literally eating, but I do not know what they were doing, and what they are made of. They were moving around. For all I know they have acid dipped legs.

more often than not the color is the attracting factor... sometimes smells.

I've noticed a REMARKABLE increase in bugs sitting on my Raptor, where black and gray cars in the lot with the same products on them are bug free. If I remember correctly we talked about this awhile back and someone shared a link that showed how most insects see in the ultraviolet spectrum (so they can spot flowers and similar things) and as a result were more attracted to bright/reflective colors than dark b/c of how the light behaved.

I would definitely think white would be like sunlight to bugs so for the OP yes maybe the bright white is an attractant.

My wife had a Mustang in high school I painted Corvette Yellow (she wanted a very bright yellow), and when it sat in the sun it would be covered in black dots from all the bugs landing on it.

No idea what the bugs are, just supporting the Doc in his color theory.

For some reason The Orkin Man song came to my head. 

I will say this .. The last couple cars I purchased were white and i noticed an increase of bug attraction. IMO ..It is the brightness of the color that attracts these little #$%^&@