Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Micorfiber Towels and Pads

ACRCAR

Question

Been doing a lot of reading on this topic and it appears that some people are using the All Purpose Cleaner to do the job while others are using the Microfiber Revitalizer.  My question is should you pretreat with the All Purpose Cleaner and then wash with the Microfiber Revitalizer adding it to the washing machine instead of liquid detergent, or should the above be done and add the Microfiber Revitalizer to the liquid detergent for better results.

There are so many methods for doing this, I just want to see if others have tried this way and what the results were. 

Also, I have read quite a few posts that say DON'T put the towels in the dryer and then I also read quite a few posts that say to put them in the dryer on low heat.  Which is better?  Are the microfiber pads ok to throw in the dryer as well?

I was thinking of doing the following:

- Pre Treat dirty towels and microfiber pads with All Purpose Cleaner and let them soak in a 5 gallon bucket with warm water over night

- Take towels and pads out and spray down with Microfiber Revitalizer before placing them in the washing machine along with the pads.

- Run the washing machine with Micorfiber Revitalizer and liquid detergent (ALL Free) along with a half cup of white distilled vinegar.

- Keep fingers crossed.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ACRCAR

8 answers to this question

I've also been reading and experimenting with this. I noticed my towels, the most frequently used, were starting to lint and had lost their soft feeling. I was always drying my towels on low heat sometimes on "auto" dry which ran them for an hour or longer and I think this was most of the problem. I also noticed my towels beginning to dreadlock which means they were getting too hot in the dryer. I always used a dedicated microfiber detergent which I'm now starting to believe is too harsh and should only be used after a particularly dirty task or where the chemical may be hard to remove like a sealant or polish residue. I've started to use distilled white vinegar with the final rinse as well.

I started using the dryer on low heat for about 25 to 30 min when the towels are right out of the wash and most moist and I'm hoping able to handle the heat better. Then I've been doing an hour of tumble with no heat.

I just used the all free and clear with final rinse vinegar along with the new drying technique and some previously very dry feeling microfibers did seem a bit plusher and soft but I guess time will tell if the linting changed. I figured I would give them one more shot before tossing them since I spent good money on them.

Edited by MattieDSC

^Matt you have a good plan of attack.

My Microfiber regimen:

-Heavy wash cycle (longest running), Hot water, cool/warm rinse (I put some white vinegar in the fabric softener tray, about 2 oz)

-2 oz of dedicated Microfiber Detergent on a large load, 1 oz on a medium load (MFR would work well)

-If your towels are extremely greasy or soily, soak them in a bucket of hot water and a few oz of APC to loosen up the grime before washing, alternatively you can pre-treat with MFR or APC and hot water in the slop sink, before tossing in the washing machine

-Drying - I always use low heat on my dryer, for 30-40 mins tops, as the towels are only damp after the wash anyway, no fabric sheets

Some towels I have been washing over 2 years and still come out like new each time, they may have a few stains but they are clean.  I've noticed Chinese Microfiber is a bit more durable than Korean Microfiber in regards to greasier/tough jobs, but Korean microfiber is overall softer

Yes the Microfiber Applicator pads are fine to put in the dryer, I also put my Microfiber hardwood floor mop pads in with the towels and in the dryer as well

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Thanks for this thread I got a lot of new towels and want to wash ones with the same type of use together and separate stuff like glass and drying towels from ones used with wax and harder stuff.

Just wash warm,with free and clear detergent. Little soap,x2 extra rinse.Air dry in dryer for a couple mins. Then air dry for about 24hrs,fluff back up on air dry for a few minutes. Good as new.