Customer Service 866.965.0400

best way to detail engine bay?

terminator808

Question

For a while all I've done is take some detail spray, brush and Q tips to clean everything then in n out to take care of the plastic, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it? something that might clean better

I'm not a fan of spraying it down with water, then wiping everything down either... 

(I hope the picture worked..) but just an idea to show you guys what I'm working with.. 

also this is an older picture but you get the idea.. 

post-13066-0-83406400-1434160108_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Adam's All Purpose Cleaner, sprayed on, brush to agitate and remove heavier deposits, rinse, and then Super VRT or In & Out Spray.

Check out the other tabs regarding detailing the engine compartment, there should be a video which explains the whole process for great results.

For one in nice condition like that, I use Rinseless wash (at wash strength) in a sprayer and cheap MF towels.  Just spray it down and wipe it clean.  Then spray with VRT 'milk' (SVRT and water at 60/40) and spread with the cheap MF.

I usually take the engine out to clean it, makes the job so much easier. Can you imagine how bad your OCD would need to be to do that!!

APC some water and a few assorted brushed while the engine is cold I do to get her all cleaned up!

Is this the actual engine?

If so all you would need to do is wipe down with a utility towel & spot clean with APC then dress with SVRT and In & Out Spray.

If you do regular cleaning it is a piece of cake and you don't need to spray down with water. My GTO is a 05 and has never been sprayed with water and it's cleaner than when new.....

If you do regular cleaning it is a piece of cake and you don't need to spray down with water. My GTO is a 05 and has never been sprayed with water and it's cleaner than when new.....

The key is if you do it regular. 

I usually take the engine out to clean it, makes the job so much easier. Can you imagine how bad your OCD would need to be to do that!!

... you guys haven't done that before? I mean I was doing maintenance at the time and had to pull the engine anyways, but I spent a good few days cleaning the bay and the engine with it out. Going to do the CC the same way here soon too.

Any advice on cleaning the underside of the hood?  I used full-strength APC, washed with an old microfiber and rinses but still have spots of sticky gunk that won't come off easily and I don't want to scrub too hard for fear of taking the paint off.

Any advice on cleaning the underside of the hood?  I used full-strength APC, washed with an old microfiber and rinses but still have spots of sticky gunk that won't come off easily and I don't want to scrub too hard for fear of taking the paint off.

Adam's doesn't offer a dedicated bug & tar remover so, when I run into something APC won't remove, I use Stoner Bug and Tarminator Bug/Tar/Sap/Grease Remover.