Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do I ever need to use a wax?

BoCRon

Question

I have a new car arriving in the next week or so. The color is a non-metallic called Volcanic Orange (think School Bus :D). 

I'm planning on using the Paint Sealant as soon as I get the car and then just saw the video for the H20 Guard and Gloss so want to go with that. I also saw the Brilliant Glaze video but that seems like it's for car shows and such. This is my daily driver so I don't think that's a concern.

I have the Buttery Wax in my cart but I'm not sure I will need it? 

Also, if I'm going to have vinyl graphics applied fairly soon after delivery should I wait and seal it after or is it better to do the sealant right away?

Thanks!

Annette

Edited by BoCRon

6 answers to this question

First things first. Once you get the car you want to clay bar it and get all of the dirt and residue from the build and shipping off of the paint.  Then you can go ahead and put the sealant on if that's  your choice.  The H20 guard and gloss  can go on anytime.  But I wouldn't wax the car till after the graphics go on because they're just going to remove any wax, sealant, etc. when they put the graphics on.  Once they're applied, then you're going to want to seal and wax your car to protect your paint from the elements.

I would wait until after the graphics are on to apply the sealant.

Are your graphics going to be matte or gloss vinyl?  If matte, only use Quick Sealant on them, no LPS or wax. 

If gloss vinyl, you can use LPS, QS or wax.  I actually use both sealants, a layer of QS only on the gloss vinyl then LPS on the whole vehicle.  If you do apply LPS or wax to the vinyl, max sure you are careful so you don't get too much buildup on the edges of the vinyl. Hand apply to the vinyl with light pressure and just go over them once in each direction. Using the typical circular motions by hand, or a polishing machine, will load the edges up and it is hard to remove the residue (like having to scrape each edge with your fingernail).

Also, take some good quality microfiber towels like the Double Softs or Single Softs with you when you go to have the graphics installed and tell the installer to only use those towels on your paint.  Better yet, ask if you can watch so you can supervise.

When I had mine done, the installer went to grab a roll of paper towels to clean off the paint with IPA, but I gave him my towels to use.  You don't want to start out with scratches right next to the edges of your graphics, where they are very hard to polish out

Thanks all for the help.

I will be clay barring first thing. I noticed in Adam's video he states not to wipe off the residue from clay barring? Is he assuming you will then wash the car?

As this is a MINI I will be doing it all by hand, I just can't be bothered digging out the machine when I would be halfway done by the time I got all the gear together  :) .

I went ahead and got the Buttery wax as it looks like an easy product to use. Even if I don't put it on my MINI I may use it on my daughter's MINI or our Nissan Truck.

Annette

Thanks all for the help.

I will be clay barring first thing. I noticed in Adam's video he states not to wipe off the residue from clay barring? Is he assuming you will then wash the car?

Wash, or if you are going to polish you can polish over the residues.

The only time you need to remove the residues before going to the next step is if you're going to jump straight to a wax or sealant, without polishing.