Customer Service 866.965.0400

Storing tires for the winter

Blue04SSS

Question

I know this isn't totally a detailing question. People say to store tires in a sealed plastic bag and not to use a tire dressing. I just bought a set of used rims and tires and cleaned then thoroughly with deep wheel cleaner and all purose cleaner. I plan on sealing the rims with quick sealant or super sealant. But is it OK to use svrt on the tires and seal them up? I just feel like I dry the tires out with the apc and dwc.

6 answers to this question

I'm no expert, but why would you seal them up?  My experience has been that unless you have every drop of moisture off of the rims you're asking for rust.  And moisture of any kind on sealed rubber will invite rot or mold.  Put them in plastic bags, but I wouldn't seal them.  Just my opinion.

I clean mine well and store them in the basement unsealed, on a raised, carpet covered platform (1/2 inch or so) without SVRT. When switching g them back, clean them up, quick sealant on wheels and SVRT on tires.

I just clean them and dry them but that's it and store them in the garage on a pallet so they are off the floor. Then in spring before putting them back on I wax them and then apply vrt. Done this for years here in Canada and never had an issue.

This is my wheel/tire storage regimen:

-Clean wheels with Car Shampoo and water and brushes when removed, allow to dry, or blow dry

-Coat of Quick Sealant on them (takes a minute per wheel)

-Extremely thin coat of Super VRT on each tire (just enough to blacken the tire, you don't want excess on it)

-Once absorbed, I take about 5 old bath towels.

One on the floor, lay a wheel/tire on top, facing up, so its off the concrete but no space between, lay another towel over the face and the tire, and place another wheel/tire on top.  Repeat until the tires/wheels are stacked, and there is a towel between each, and over the topmost wheel as well.

Keeps critters out since theres no space for them to go, and its sort of like giving each wheel its own blanket.

Thanks for the info. Going to coat them with quick sealant and put them on a small pallet to keep them off the ground. I got the info for sealing them off of tire rack. But it seems that it is not needed.