Customer Service 866.965.0400

Skipping step one of the two step polish system?

imcrazy

Question

I have buddy who wants me to 'help' him get the paint on his Silverado whipped into shape. He has never hand washed the truck and only goes to the touchless wash, (it's got 8500 miles on it) I'm anticipating it's going to be rough to get the truck clean in the first place but, I wonder if there won't be many swirls etc. He isn't willing to spend a whole day working on the truck and he's not wanting to pay me to do it for him the 'right way'.  Would it be OK if he is pleased with the results to just do step two of the polishing process with the new 2 step system and then seal the paint? Obviously we're going to have to give it a really good wash and clay first....

Thanks for reading!

14 answers to this question

I would suggest step one and then seal it.  See if the foam or microfiber gets you closest to where you want it and go that route. I think you will be surprised by the paint when you first see it, that is worse than you thought it would be. But i would be ready to go either way with it.  You can often finish well with the first step. 

I think the best piece of advice I have received here and at other detailing forums is to always do the most least aggressive step first on a small (e.g., 2X2 ft) test area.  If the car has only gone through an auto wash and he hasn't marred the paint by using poor technique in drying the car (because there is likely still a film of embedded dirt on the car after the auto wash, see Junkman videos), the paint might not be in as poor condition as you may think.

I know with my daily drivers I am able to take out the smaller imperfections with just finishing polish.  Why burn through more clear coat than is absolutely necessary to achieve the desired result?

You may be fine, some clear coats you can start with PCP and it finishes down some you have to step down to PFP.....

I also find that pad choice plays a large role in this too. MF pads tend to need a follow up more often than not compared to foam.

What color is it?  A darker color (black, dark blue, etc.)  will probably need 2 steps, but lighter colors (especially light metallic colors) can be done with PCP with a MF pad and finish down without a 2nd step.  Do some test spots to know for certain.  For this guy, maybe try PFP on an orange pad to see what results you get.

If you're not going to do it right, why do it at all? I understand you are doing this for free? Make him do the work (to a point). That way he knows what it takes to make the truck look nice and he will want to take care of it.

It doesn't matter to me, it's his truck I'm making him do most of the work and that's all he wants outta it..... I don't want to use anything but Adam's stuff and they don't make a one step like others do. I wouldn't do it that way if it was my truck but, I'd imagine he will really like the results with just the finishing polish and a coat of sealant, he's not a car guy....

W/ that said we'll do a test section to see if the results are as desired, he may change his tune if it doesn't look as sweet as my truck however, he thought my truck looked great when I used the meguiars ultimate compound and I still had a lot of swirls and scratches in the clear...

Edited by imcrazy

unless your dealing with black you can treat the PCP as a one step product providing you use a foam pad.  if you us a mf pad you will need to most times than not go over it with the foam again.  

Paint finishing product is typically need for black vehicles and difficult clears. 

id wash, clay, and do the one step with PCP and an orange foam pad, then sealant on just the hood.  Have him drive around for a week looking at the hood.  he will be back to do the rest of the vehicle the next weekend.

Edited by ledger64