Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Adam's new Daily Driver video can help your detailing be profitable.

Guest washemup

Question

Guest washemup

I enjoy doing detailing. I do it on the side. Everything from sanding out defects, compounding, polishing, headlight restoration, etc. I enjoy doing it all.

Most people I come in touch with who want work done to their cars fall in the Daily Driver, basic detail seeking customer.

While I love breaking out the wet-sand paper, polishers, compounds, etc. These people don't even know what swirls are. Even if I go overboard and do some correction on their paint, it's going to be in vain. It's just a matter of time before they put the swirls right back in!

What these people want is shiny paint, clean windows, black tires, and a clean and fresh smelling interior.

The new video Adam did about daily driver basic detailing is exactly what this type of customer is looking for.

The standard way of doing a basic wash, dry, clay, wax can take upwards of 4 hours, add an hour vacuuming and wiping down the interior, unless your getting $150 to do this, which the average Joe (pun intended) isn't willing to pay, all your profitability just went down the drain with the suds you rinsed off the car.

The only thing I may add to what he does is a little spray of APC on any dried bug guts, your going to seal with HGG and clay anyway, so stripping old LSP, if they even have any on the car, is OK.

Also instead of clay I use a speedy prep towel, it saves a lot of time vs standard clay. I will use DWC on the face of the wheels (no sense to do the barrels on this type of detail, 99.99% of people won't even notice).

A standard sized car takes about an hour to an hour and a half for the exterior.

So I'm done in 2 to 2 1/2 hours, adding an hour for the interior. I get $75, customers are happy, and I make a little profit to re-invest in my business.

Work smarter, not longer or harder. Thanks Adam!

In case you haven't seen the video, here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi6VBddZ2sA

8 answers to this question

2.5 hours for a wash, clay, and seal job?  Just a suggestion but I'd try to work with rinseless solution and eliminate the hose and soap in order to be more profitable and get more $$$ per hour.  Electric pressure washer for pre rinse, wash the panels with rinseless and clay and seal as you dry.  I also use 1:1 DWC as a paint decon before the initial rinse with the PW, and also use clay and/or a speedy prep fine grade sponge depending on the job.

I'd be done with the car in Adam's video in 45 mins on that exterior.  And I'd probably be charging $150 for that (exterior only, basic interior wipedown and vac adds $50), but my market is priced higher in Jersey as well.

But yes overall, the efficiency aspect is great and my favorite point of the Daily Driver video.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Guest washemup

2.5 hours for a wash, clay, and seal job?  Just a suggestion but I'd try to work with rinseless solution and eliminate the hose and soap in order to be more profitable and get more $$$ per hour.  Electric pressure washer for pre rinse, wash the panels with rinseless and clay and seal as you dry.  I also use 1:1 DWC as a paint decon before the initial rinse with the PW, and also use clay and/or a speedy prep fine grade sponge depending on the job.

I'd be done with the car in Adam's video in 45 mins on that exterior.  And I'd probably be charging $150 for that (exterior only, basic interior wipedown and vac adds $50), but my market is priced higher in Jersey as well.

But yes overall, the efficiency aspect is great and my favorite point of the Daily Driver video.

It's 2 to 2 1/2 hours for a bug removal/wash/wheel face cleaning/clay/HGG/interior vacuum and wipedown/tire shine. 

I don't own a pressure washer so maybe that's something I can save up for. I'm currently saving for a steam cleaner, as I've found several people want their carpets and seats steam cleaned and I can't do it. I'm sure it would pay for itself after several uses.

Detailing costs are high there in Jersey. Local detail shops in my area charge around $100 for what I'm doing for $75.

^yea they are but good that you are priced According to your market. My local "detail shop charges $250 for basic interior plus wash clay seal and one step polish. $300 for SUV. I price my work according to that and usually add 10% because of the quality of work and products I'm using.

I'm with Jason, your price for what you are offering is way low honestly, you could get a LOT more. I work it out so I never make under $50 an hour and try to shoot for $75-$100 an hour with most jobs (excluding all my costs). 

I'm at $200 for a sedan (that's in relatively good condition) for what you're describing plus a light interior detail. 

Edited by lax

Guest washemup

I just do detailing on the side, usually only 1 day a week, Saturday if I'm off work, or holidays, July 4th week I had more work than I could do! I already have 3 days filled for X-mas week. Being that I'm not a "professional" detailer doing this for his livelihood, I try to charge less then what average detail shops in my area do. People here where I live would never pay $200 for a basic detail involving no polishing. I also do "spot" fixes in the evening after work, for scratch removal, only moderate one's (if they have enough clear coat after measuring area with gauge) and headlight restorations, these jobs usually take 30min to an hour, and I'll usually only ask $20-40, unless I have to sand the headlights which can take over an hour.

When people ask me, "What would it cost to make my car look like your Camaro?", I tell them I'll have to do a wash,  clay and iron decontaminate, complete wheel cleaning w/ decon, sealant, dress wheel wells and tires, 2 step polishing, premium sealant followed by a premium wax for $300, most of them look at me like I'm crazy. I'm laughing inside because after I take out all my expenses, I'm rarely making $20/hour. Most people won't maintain their cars properly anyway, and will just end up putting swirls back in their paint.

A friend of mine who owns an auto parts store here in town tells me I need to move to Charlotte, NC. He has seen my "full correction" details, and said plenty of people there would pay double what I'm charging here. Having lived there for 5 years before, I'd never go back. I like a small town atmosphere. 

Tim, I looked up Performance Auto Detailing and found 2 places, one in Hickory, and one in Raleigh. If I knew which one, I could possibly refer some people to you if someone asks if I know of a good detailer in their area.

2.5 hours for a wash, clay, and seal job? Just a suggestion but I'd try to work with rinseless solution and eliminate the hose and soap in order to be more profitable and get more $$$ per hour. Electric pressure washer for pre rinse, wash the panels with rinseless and clay and seal as you dry. I also use 1:1 DWC as a paint decon before the initial rinse with the PW, and also use clay and/or a speedy prep fine grade sponge depending on the job.

I'd be done with the car in Adam's video in 45 mins on that exterior. And I'd probably be charging $150 for that (exterior only, basic interior wipedown and vac adds $50), but my market is priced higher in Jersey as well.

This is right on for making money, combining steps is the way to save time. You explained that most customers want clean and fresh, I'd invest in a pressure washer first that way you can knock out pre-rinse,APC wheel wells and tires and clean wheels. I'm not saying take short cuts but let the products work for you while your doing something else. I too think your prices are low but you are the one doing the work but one can still do a quality job and be efficient also. Rinsless,clay and HG&G can be done per panel twice as fast as traditional methods Edited by vobro

I just do detailing on the side, usually only 1 day a week, Saturday if I'm off work, or holidays, July 4th week I had more work than I could do! I already have 3 days filled for X-mas week. Being that I'm not a "professional" detailer doing this for his livelihood, I try to charge less then what average detail shops in my area do. People here where I live would never pay $200 for a basic detail involving no polishing. I also do "spot" fixes in the evening after work, for scratch removal, only moderate one's (if they have enough clear coat after measuring area with gauge) and headlight restorations, these jobs usually take 30min to an hour, and I'll usually only ask $20-40, unless I have to sand the headlights which can take over an hour.

When people ask me, "What would it cost to make my car look like your Camaro?", I tell them I'll have to do a wash,  clay and iron decontaminate, complete wheel cleaning w/ decon, sealant, dress wheel wells and tires, 2 step polishing, premium sealant followed by a premium wax for $300, most of them look at me like I'm crazy. I'm laughing inside because after I take out all my expenses, I'm rarely making $20/hour. Most people won't maintain their cars properly anyway, and will just end up putting swirls back in their paint.

A friend of mine who owns an auto parts store here in town tells me I need to move to Charlotte, NC. He has seen my "full correction" details, and said plenty of people there would pay double what I'm charging here. Having lived there for 5 years before, I'd never go back. I like a small town atmosphere. 

Tim, I looked up Performance Auto Detailing and found 2 places, one in Hickory, and one in Raleigh. If I knew which one, I could possibly refer some people to you if someone asks if I know of a good detailer in their area.

Thanks Joe I appreciate the referral! I'm in the Cary/Raleigh, NC area. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post my website on the forum but here it is: PerformanceAutoDetailingNC.com

Yes my area is very similar to Charlotte as far as what I can charge is concerned. That definitely helps!

Keep up the good work! I know a lot of people don't understand the costs associated with getting their rides detailed up to the level of ours but that's where educating the customer comes in. I've turned people who didn't want to spend $100 for their car into a $4-500 job before, it's possible! Also need to take into consideration what you personally think your time is worth.

Edited by lax