Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel Cleaner vs All Purpose Cleaner (pics)

GerryC

Question

So I received a bottle of the Green Wheel Cleaner in my most recent order to try out, and since today hit 57 degrees :eek: I gave my daily driver a quick halfa$$ed wash. I asked Adam if I could post this since the Wheel Cleaner was removed from the store and he said it was ok, so I did a side-by-side comparison with the Wheel Cleaner and the All Purpose Cleaner to see the effectiveness on my wheels.

Ok so this is what I started with. The past 2 months worth of sand, road salt, and brake dust...yuck. For the record these are clearcoated wheels. Twelve spokes are not the most fun wheels to clean :mad:

wheelcleaner1.jpg

The very first thing I noticed about the Wheel Cleaner was how susdy it was compared to the APC, which is good because it was basically eating away the grime without any effort on my part.

wheelcleaner2.jpg

This pic is after just hosing down the wheel after spraying both products and letting them sit for a minute. I did not use a brush or a rag to wipe down the wheel at all. Notice the left side (Wheel Cleaner) is practically perfect already, while the right side (APC) still has some dirt stuck to the wheel.

wheelcleaner3.jpg

After confirming the Wheel Cleaner was a better agent for my wheels I went ahead and did all 4 with the Wheel Cleaner, washed my car, and dressed the tires.

wheelcleaner4.jpg

It's apparently going to snow over the weekend so I didn't feel like doing anything else with the car. A full detail is still planned for warmer weather:glasses:

They load for me, is anyone else having a problem viewing them?

I'm not exactly sure why they pulled the Wheel Cleaner from the store, but I think they had to reformulate or change something. Either way, I think that it will come back as a replacement for the All Purpose Cleaner, under a different name.

i never understood why...Adams post only confused me, sounded like it did better than expected, so i was blown away when i read "this is better than we expected,m it does more than we hoped for, so therefore we are removing it" or at least thats what i read lol. extremely glad that its back though. now i have to order some(wish id scanned whole inventory before placing todays orders lol)

i never understood why...Adams post only confused me, sounded like it did better than expected, so i was blown away when i read "this is better than we expected,m it does more than we hoped for, so therefore we are removing it" or at least thats what i read lol. extremely glad that its back though. now i have to order some(wish id scanned whole inventory before placing todays orders lol)

I know it seems funky but honestly it did do better than we expected but all the labels were advertising it as a wheel cleaner when in reality it's the best all around cleaner we've ever seen. We were limiting it's scope by calling it a wheel cleaner.

Great comparison, and photo-write-up Gerry! Thanks very much for taking time to spray, photo and then report your findings.:thumbsup:

Gerry, did you notice the smell difference?

Can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking time to do this.

:bow::bow: - Adam

Hi Bob

I have a friend with a Saab and on his it is the rear wheels that get all the break dust. Is you's like that too ?

Bill

Hi Bill,

My problem is with the front wheel brake dust. I just cleaned them today with APC and then used Metal Polish #2 on all the wheels. They look great but you have to stay on top of them. Also used BSG on the black Saab. This is my wife's car and she was thrilled.

Thanks for the note Bill:pc:

Bob Fred.

Did a thorough testing on the Green Wheel Cleaner with a product called a "Power-Stick" on my Excursion today. It hasn't been washed since the last snow, so it's filthy.

Last photo is a 'Before.'

The photo where you can see the rotor is taken with the camera shooting through the front, towards the back of the wheel. It's like brand new!

The Green Wheel Cleaner worked exceptionally well, and the Power Stick is extremely effective at cleaning the BACK of the wheels!

Glad to have the Green Wheel Cleaner back up, and we should have the Power Stick available on our store very soon!:2thumbs:

powerstick1.jpg

PowerStick2.jpg

Powerstick3.jpg

PowerStick4.jpg

Powerstick5.jpg

Edited by Adam

I was wondering what to use for a no-scrub solution for my wheels since APC really isn't doing it for me. I have powder coated wheels and I think they just love to hold on to brake dusk. Simple Green is no better. Time to try this for sure, I can't be the only one to want a spray-on wash-off solution?

:cheers:

I was wondering what to use for a no-scrub solution for my wheels since APC really isn't doing it for me. I have powder coated wheels and I think they just love to hold on to brake dusk. Simple Green is no better. Time to try this for sure, I can't be the only one to want a spray-on wash-off solution?

:cheers:

Hi Richard, there are spray-on, hose off solutions available, but most often, those are acid based chemicals.

They work fantastic, but they also shorten the life span of the powder coating of your wheels.

I'd say that a gentle Boar's Hair Brush should be used, as using a harsh chemical will rust your rotors, lug nuts, and eat at your powder coating with each use.

My $.02 is, a light brushing is better than the side-effects of a spray and rinse wheel cleaner. :thumbsup: