Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tips for cleaning around lettering

OIF Vet

Question

I have a question for everyone. What is the best way to clean, polish and wax around the metal letters on my truck? Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

361308.jpg

Any information would be great. Thanks.

Rob

I removed a badge from my Vette that I had put on myself, and then changed my mind. I used the fishing line and heat method. It came off, but I do have surface scratches from the fishing line. So be careful.

I removed a badge from my Vette that I had put on myself, and then changed my mind. I used the fishing line and heat method. It came off, but I do have surface scratches from the fishing line. So be careful.

You know those surface scratches can easily be removed... yesnod.gif

I just took the badges off the trunk of my new G8 this past weekend after reading this thread. I decided to spray some Goo Gone on the back side of the badge first and then heated up with a hair dryer. Once it got real soft I pulled off the badge and pried easily with a plastic tool. It left the black sticky stuff that I reheated and rolled off. I then cleaned it up with Goo Gone, hit it with the swirl and haze remover and fine machine polish with the buffer. Last step was some super wax and man does it look nice. I love it and no more working around the letters when I wax. I really don't care if the guy that I just beat knows what type of car beat him. LOL

I just took the badges off the trunk of my new G8 this past weekend after reading this thread. I decided to spray some Goo Gone on the back side of the badge first and then heated up with a hair dryer. Once it got real soft I pulled off the badge and pried easily with a plastic tool. It left the black sticky stuff that I reheated and rolled off. I then cleaned it up with Goo Gone, hit it with the swirl and haze remover and fine machine polish with the buffer. Last step was some super wax and man does it look nice. I love it and no more working around the letters when I wax. I really don't care if the guy that I just beat knows what type of car beat him. LOL

That's pretty much exactly the way I do it. :thumbsup:

Great writeup Tom :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

This is a great forum to learn from the experts. When I told my brother that I did it and sent him pictures he told me he is too afraid to do it to his new Charger. I told him to check out this thread and it would work. We have some very unselfish guys here that are willing to teach us amateurs. Thanks to all of you.

I think the quality of the customers is a direct reflection, no pun intended, of our host !!!!!!

And we all owe Jason a big thanks for coming up with this forum :rockon::rockon::rockon:

And an even bigger thanks to Ashley for keeping those two in line and doing all the work :D:D:D:D:D:D

You know those surface scratches can easily be removed... yesnod.gif

I wish those were the only scratches. A piece of carpeting fell from rafters in the garage and hit the passengers side roof and door. Carpet wouldn't have scratched it, but the backing did. Sucks. Unfortunately, I don't own a pc, and don't have any way of having anyone use one on it that knows what they're doing. Hoping to learn at the clinic in April from the boss.

I wish those were the only scratches. A piece of carpeting fell from rafters in the garage and hit the passengers side roof and door. Carpet wouldn't have scratched it, but the backing did. Sucks. Unfortunately, I don't own a pc, and don't have any way of having anyone use one on it that knows what they're doing. Hoping to learn at the clinic in April from the boss.

Well if you ever drive through Kentucky, look me up. I'll get those puppies out for you, no charge. :2thumbs:

I agree, the badges are a PITA and must come off for me.

I just the look of a clean "shaved" vehicle...

The only problem with mine is behind every single badge was a stupid hole. So, I replace my fender badges with newer better looking ones, and the tailgate, well I just shaved the handle and all... Nice, sleek, and clean...

Same thing with my doors, they had a bulky molding on them to prevent dings when other people open their doors around you, shaved them too.

Any vehicle looks SO much better IMO. I want to see the beauty and lines of a vehicle, not the stupid peeling chrome lettering telling me what I already knew about it.

The badges are OFF! :banana:

I sat outside this afternoon and froze my butt off doing it. I used dental floss and the badges came off pretty easy. I ran out of Goo gone so I have to finish it off tomorrow. I will post pics when it's complete. The only badge that I left on was the Ram's head that is right underneath the tailgate handle. I still have the Off Road decals on the side of the truck. I'm thinking that I will keep those. Thanks for the help everyone.

Rob

de-badge! my ride is shaved and it's funny because hardly anyone knows what it is... 2005 Scion xB. I even have keyhole plugs on my front doors for that ultra clean look... keyless entry = no reason to put key on door.

if anyone likes the look of the lettering, but doesn't like the pain of clean in and around them, I have a vinyl guy who can make any badge on chrome 5 yr vinyl. I have a chrome "badge" on my engine cover.

just a thought. but, yeah, shaved is the way to go.

Add a link to the badge guy Peter :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

sure thing. Randy's site isn't set up with all that he can do, but if you contact him with what you want - you'll get exactly what you want. he is by far the best I've come across, and I've tried a lot. I usually send him the .eps file of what I want, but you can just tell him and he'll create it.

link: http://randode.com/store/decals.html

tell him Peter from Mesa sent you. his prices are sweet, too.