Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tips for cleaning around lettering

OIF Vet

Question

I have a question for everyone. What is the best way to clean, polish and wax around the metal letters on my truck? Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

361308.jpg

Any information would be great. Thanks.

Rob

..........But debadging is always an option :glasses::glasses::glasses:

Great call Bill! Dodge isn't paying you to advertise for their truck, you paid them Rob. It always amazes me how many words, badges, stickers, and model numbers are put on a new vehicle.

We always remove all badges that don't have mounting holes behind them. Your truck lettering very likely fall into that category, as I've seen many badge-less Dodge trucks.

Trust me, once gone, you'll start looking at all of the 'advertising,' you are doing for the vehicles MFG you drive, and questioning who it benefits. Buying American is great, and everyone that knows anything about trucks knows that your truck is a 1/2 Ton 4WD. Isn't having the chrome plastic lettering redundant?

I love Ford, and always keep a blue oval on our vehicles. (Partly because there are holes behind those badges.)

All other advertising (without holes behind it) come straight off as soon as we take delivery! (F-250, PowerStroke V8, FX4, etc,)

My $.02:thumbsup:

That's funny guys becuase last night I was messing around with Photo shop to see how my truck would look without the badges. This is what I came up with.

Before:

363710.jpg

After:

Debadged-1.jpg

I guess I can take my own poll. To debadge or not to debadge, that is the question? Any input would be great.

If I do debadge (100% sure I am going to, The General [the wife] said she likes it better without the badges) here are the steps I'll be taking:

Wash

Dental floss behind the letters (in a sawing motion)

Goo Gone for the left over stickyness

Wash again

Clay

polish with PC

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Edited by OIF Vet

Adam,

Don't you sleep. Isn't it like 6:00am in Colorado? The bed will be last. I'll get the doors done first and then I'll move to the bed. I was going to start it today, but it's snowing this morning. So much for those plans.

Rob

Adam,

As far as the tailgate goes. I have 4x4 and SLT on the bottome right hand corner. Under the tailgate handle is a fairly good size dodge emblem. Is that emblem attached by a stickey or is it rivited in?

I had to put the pictures of my truck in front of NORAD to keep up with the Colorado theme. Thanks again.

Also, I just sent you an email about an order that I placed yesterday.

Rob

Edited by OIF Vet

Hey Rob, your truck looks better without the emblems!

Here's my Dodge without all the emblems;

bighorny005.jpg

and this is what I have left other than the Ram's head front and rear;

141vp6.jpg

:D

"Badges, We don't need no Stinkin' Badges!"

Shine On

Bluezey:pc:

Bluezey,

Looks real clean without the badges. Did you keep the Ram's head underneath the Tail gate handle? Also, how did you take off the badges? Thanks.

Rob

Hey Rob, your truck looks better without the emblems!

Here's my Dodge without all the emblems;

bighorny005.jpg

and this is what I have left other than the Ram's head front and rear;

:D

"Badges, We don't need no Stinkin' Badges!"

Shine On

Nice Bleuzey! :thumbsup:

Rob, I got your email, and we'll get those items out with your order, no sweat! Thank You Very Much, and please post photos of your de-badged truck for all to see.

(Stickers are easiest, by the way. Hair dryer, pick up an edge with your fingernail, and it's over with!):D

Adam,

Thanks for checking on my order. When you get a chance, can you please send me an email letting me know what the grand total is going to be. That way my wife won't kill me for messing up the check book!!!

As far as the badges go, is that the right technique or do you have a better one? The stickers came off no problem, I'm just worried about the metal badges. Any information would be great because I don't want to mess up my paint. Thanks again.

Rob

Bluezey,

Looks real clean without the badges. Did you keep the Ram's head underneath the Tail gate handle? Also, how did you take off the badges? Thanks.

Rob

Just a guess but I would think the Rams head might have mounting holes.

This splains it good :jester::jester::jester:

But stop after the badge is off and just use Goo Gone then polish and wax.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41F4DT9IDs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Edited by C6Bill

Bluezey,

Rob

Hey Rob,

I did keep the Ram's head on the tailgate. I used fishng line, 20# test, to take off the badges, some people aid the work with a heat gun or hair dryer, but I prefer not to, but that's me.

Shine On

Great call Bill! Dodge isn't paying you to advertise for their truck, you paid them Rob. It always amazes me how many words, badges, stickers, and model numbers are put on a new vehicle.

We always remove all badges that don't have mounting holes behind them. Your truck lettering very likely fall into that category, as I've seen many badge-less Dodge trucks.

Trust me, once gone, you'll start looking at all of the 'advertising,' you are doing for the vehicles MFG you drive, and questioning who it benefits. Buying American is great, and everyone that knows anything about trucks knows that your truck is a 1/2 Ton 4WD. Isn't having the chrome plastic lettering redundant?

I love Ford, and always keep a blue oval on our vehicles. (Partly because there are holes behind those badges.)

All other advertising (without holes behind it) come straight off as soon as we take delivery! (F-250, PowerStroke V8, FX4, etc,)

:iagree:

I have always taken this stance with all my cars. :thumbsup:

Holy crap! Gomer Pyle does Debadging.

:lol:

Edited by Junkman2008

OK, this is going to be a dumb a** questions but here it goes. How do you safely remove badges is they don't have holes? :help:

OK, this is going to be a dumb a** questions but here it goes. How do you safely remove badges is they don't have holes? :help:

You can use a heat gun and some fishing line or the budget solution of a blow dryer and dental floss. Use the heat gun to heat the badge (obviously), while working the dental floss in between the badge and the car to gently pry it off. Followup with some 3M adhesive remover.

You can use a heat gun and some fishing line or the budget solution of a blow dryer and dental floss. Use the heat gun to heat the badge (obviously), while working the dental floss in between the badge and the car to gently pry it off. Followup with some 3M adhesive remover.

Thanks.

Removing badging is fine - for those folks that don't care about originality. But for those that do care - the best solution (gasp! It's not an Adam's product, so please forgive me....:eek:) is to use one of those Shark Steam cleaners. The grime and the built up detail spray, wax and other stuff just melts away. It will not harm the finish like even a very fine brush will.

In fact I even use it on the crevices on some of the aftermarket 3 and 2 piece wheels that seem to accumulate that sh...stuff.:)