Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waxing / Polishing - New(ish) vehicle?

53flattie

Question

Hello all.  I have a 2015 Toyota Tundra that I purchased in May of last year.  It is parked in a garage, basically all the time - I work from home and only travel out to run errands and on the weekends.  It has no scratches or swirl marks. 

I received some Adams products as a gift (spray wax and clay bar).  I'm very pleased with them, and want to take things a step further.  I'm particular about my vehicle and enjoy having it look nice.  My original thought was to get the entry-level polisher (Porter Cable) and wax to really make it shine.  However, after watching several of the videos (which are VERY helpful, by the way), I'm starting to think that maybe I don't need the polisher.  Everything that I'm reading and watching notes that they are used for "paint correcting".  Since I don't have anything that needs correcting - what products do I need to achieve a high-quality shine?  I'm not looking for concourse quality finish, just something that is going to look nice on a daily driver. 

Will hand-polishing be sufficient?

Clay bar the entire vehicle, followed by polishing?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

17 answers to this question

Absolutely!  I have a polisher, and I use it maybe once or twice a year if that.  I've always been a "by hand" guy and never had any issues with the paint looking its best, even on black. 

Read through the threads for the best steps to take to get your ride looking its best.  For now, you can clay it and follow up with a good wipe down with Detail Spray until you decide which products will serve you best.  

My usual steps are to Clay using Detail Spray, then I apply Revive, then wax.  Buttery Wax is good, but won't last as long as the American or the Patriot.  

If you feel like getting into more steps, you can use sealants and glaze, etc.  

I have two white cars.  If you have a darker car, you may want to do a little more than I do.

First off, welcome Tim!

Rich gave you great advice for maintaining your "garage kept" vehicle as the finish should not need machine type paint correction if your description is accurate.

The processes and products mentioned by Rich will keep it looking great, and protected.

You could also think about using Brilliant Glaze over the was periodically to enhance the shine. 

As stated above if your truck has no paint correction needed your hands will produce phenomenal results. I'd start with a good 2 bucket wash method or rinseless if you have that product avalible and it isn't to soiled. Then clay the entire truck followed with some revive. If your trying to get some solid protection lay down a layer of the paint sealant after a few hours top with brilliant glaze and your wax of choice. This should leave the paint with a high shine and a nice layer of protection for up to 6 months, wax will need to be redone of course, if your not driving it often I would say 3 months wax it and hit it with h20 g&g to upkeep the paint sealant life. Welcome to the addiction.

Welcome, I would echo the above posts. Polishers are great, but unless correction is needed, hand methods work great. You can't go wrong with Adams products and the videos are great. Enjoy the fun.

I just used H20 Gloss and Guard on mine, it's a 2016 Magnetic Gray Tundra. It is seriously slick stuff. 

I'd suggest good wash technique followed by H2O G&G and a wax to top it off, I'm a big fan of Buttery wax as my vehicles are garage kept also. The good wash technique will ensure you don't get too many swirls in the first place. Worry about correcting those when they show up down the road.

IMG_0680-L.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I would like to go ahead and wash and clay while I wait for the G&G and Buttery Wax to arrive.  Will this be a problem?  In other words, will it strip off any protection that I need not drive around without?

And one more question - after claying with the detail spray, do I just wipe down afterwards? 

My order arrived today - H2O G&G, Buttery Wax, yellow applicator, microfiber towel, and two double-soft towels. My question is - can I use the G&G and Buttery wax on all surfaces? I.e. Glass, lights, rubber, plastic, chrome, etc?

My order arrived today - H2O G&G, Buttery Wax, yellow applicator, microfiber towel, and two double-soft towels. My question is - can I use the G&G and Buttery wax on all surfaces? I.e. Glass, lights, rubber, plastic, chrome, etc?

HGG can be used on everything. Buttery wax should definitely not be used on rubber. It can be used on chrome and only on plastic that is painted or clear coated. Don't use it on any of the textured plastic used often as trim pieces. It can be used on lights and glass should be fine too, but I would use glass sealant.

I just used buttery wax for the first time yesterday. Even in direct sunlight it was really easy to apply and remove. It will leave a residue on rubber/plastic trim etc. but what I did was go over the entire car with a microfiber and detail spray as the very last step. I wet the microfiber with the detail spray and was able to easily get all the powdery residue off the trim and out of the cracks etc. Wiped/buffed with a dry plush microfiber as I went. Didn't take very long and the results are awesome! Good luck and post pics when your done please.

It took two afternoons, but I finished the process and I couldn't be happier with the results. Started by washing it yesterday afternoon, followed by the H2O G&G, which is really easy to apply. It's a cool product - I had watched the videos, but until you use it, it's hard to understand exactly how it works. You can spray it on a panel covered in water and it almost instantly makes the water run off. You come back with your dry double-soft towel and the panel will be dry as a bone. Amazing. My double-cab Tundra has about 2 acres of sheetmetal and one towel was enough to completely dry it (plus the one I was using to apply the G&G).

Today I went back and applied the Buttery Wax. I followed the instructions provided in the video, using the Hex Grip applicator, and it was very easy. Took about an hour to do the whole truck, one panel at a time. It was really easy to remove with the microfiber towel - just a quick buffing action and it was all gone. It worked great on the chrome grill surround - made it like a mirror.

First is a before shot (after the G&G, before the wax) (please don't mind the cluttered garage - it's all I can do to get the truck in there!)

Second shot is the front half after the wax, from the same vantage point as the first (albeit with the other garage door open, so there's more light).

Last is a side shot showing the clarity and depth of the finish.

post-13901-0-21730600-1456198923_thumb.jpeg

post-13901-0-28296500-1456198964_thumb.jpeg

post-13901-0-84858200-1456199012_thumb.jpeg

I can't figure out how to rotate the second and third pictures. Moderator - if you can do it, please feel free. Thanks!

Yeah I was having this same problem. I figured out if your pictures are rectangular, the forum software will always post them lengthwise. I ended up re-cropping my photos so they would be properly oriented inside the rectangle lengthwise and they will then post the right way. Geeezzz, I hope that made sense.