Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can I polish this out?

JGrant54

Question

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum, I have been wanting to get into Adams products ever since I bought my new truck which is about a year old and has been pretty well neglected do to being so busy at work but with my new job I will finally have the time to take proper care of it and I will also be dumping my tax return into Adams products   :D   Anyways the other week when I was at the store it was raining and apparently someone didn't want to put their cart away and the wind blew it off the curb and right down the side of my truck, it left about five pretty good scratches on the passenger front fender and tons of micro scratches  :angry:   I am planning on strip washing the car in the spring and purchasing a machine polisher kit (not sure which one yet) do you think I will be able to take care of these scratches with the Paint Correcting Polish, or will these need a body shop to be repaired?

I also figured I'd post up some pictures of the detail cart I'm working on its only got my limited collection on it now but will be filling up fast as I should have another shipment here sometime this week!

Thanks for all your help and all the great info on here

post-13788-0-93311100-1454361652_thumb.jpgpost-13788-0-42358900-1454361655_thumb.jpgpost-13788-0-16079200-1454361636_thumb.jpgpost-13788-0-67357500-1454361641_thumb.jpgpost-13788-0-00411600-1454361646_thumb.jpg

post-13788-0-71996100-1454361649_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

First off, welcome to the Forum!  

You should be able to get that taken care of in your driveway.  What I suggest you do is watch the videos on the paint correcting process, and then watch them again to make sure you got it down.  Try the least aggressive method first!  Then step it up from the to achieve the results you're looking for!

Post up pics of your progress, and feel free to ask any questions!  Nice cart by the way, I'm in the process of building the same thing.

Thanks for the Welcome! 

And awesome!  I was hoping that would be the case, Ive been watching all the Adams videos trying to figure out what products I want but I will definitely watch them again before I tackle this project which most likely won't be for a few months, even though we are having a warm stretch now Im sure it will snow again and I'd hate to put all that work into a detail only to go plow with the truck the next week.

I got a great deal on that cart at Harbor Freight I think I payed around $70 for it and the the racks I just made up from some left over PVC trim from I siding job I did in the fall!

Welcome John,

More than likely a machine polisher with the Adam's Paint Correcting Polish will take care of removing those scratches.

You ,may have to make more than one pass to get them all cleaned up, but as long as your fingernail doesn't catch on any of the edges, they should be removable.

PVC Trim, brilliant!  I was going to use 1"x8" wood...because that's what I have lying around.  I suppose if I seal/stain it enough, it should last.  Not like it's going to get soaked anyways.

But if you make an extra set or 2 of those, I would purchase them from you...... :cheers:

Yeah you should be fine with wood you probably don't even have to seal it, as long as its not continuously wet then it will hold up just fine!  If you are interested in PVC ones though shoot me a PM I probably have enough material left to make another set or two!

Welcome John,

More than likely a machine polisher with the Adam's Paint Correcting Polish will take care of removing those scratches.

You ,may have to make more than one pass to get them all cleaned up, but as long as your fingernail doesn't catch on any of the edges, they should be removable.

Hi John

Can you catch your fingernail in those ? They don't look too bad. I'm on the South Shore so if you need a hand I"ll be happy to assist. 

My fingernail only catches in one of the scratches, its the very top scratch in the first picture, how much does that change things?  And thanks for the offer! I may very well take you up on that once this winter is over, I'd love to learn first hand from someone with experience detailing and Adams products! :cheers:

Edited by JGrant54

The one you can catch your fingernail in might need a little more attention, touch up and wet sanding but the rest will probably come out fine. I'm in Hanson

Hopefully that won't be to challenging, I have some experience wet sanding and polishing out scratches in Piano finishes Just not sure how those lacquers compare to car paint!  Luckily I have plenty of time to research and learn before I tackle them!  And thats not to far I'm right on the RI-MA border!

Just wanted to say welcome to the forums from another Mass member! 

I like the detail cart you did, I was thinking of doing one of those carts earlier in the day when I had a few min. How does it work out for you? 

Thank You, and I actually just finished it up this afternoon and haven't had a chance to use it yet but hopefully I will at some point this week while its warm out!  I'll let you know how it works once I can put it to work!

Your going to need a machine to get that out and if you need any help, I detail in southern NH and will be glad to help you out. Here's a before and after pic of a scratch that was done by a gun holster of all things, took some machining, but I got it out. Welcome to the forum as well. Nice truck and plow by the way.

post-10998-0-54369000-1454416581_thumb.jpg

post-10998-0-79309700-1454416589_thumb.jpg

Yeah you should be fine with wood you probably don't even have to seal it, as long as its not continuously wet then it will hold up just fine!  If you are interested in PVC ones though shoot me a PM I probably have enough material left to make another set or two!

PM sent

Your going to need a machine to get that out and if you need any help, I detail in southern NH and will be glad to help you out. Here's a before and after pic of a scratch that was done by a gun holster of all things, took some machining, but I got it out. Welcome to the forum as well. Nice truck and plow by the way.

Thats incredible there is no evidence of that scratch ever being there! And thanks for the offer its great knowing there are so many guys around me that are willing to help out, the Adams community is pretty awesome!