Customer Service 866.965.0400

Order of Steps? Newbie

thatryan

Question

Hi all,

I know I asked something before a long while ago but I still haven't had the time or guts to try lol

Now so many new products and a bad memory, I wanted to ask the steps for everything. So, a few questions;

Should you "strip" wash before claying? Dawn or whatever?

Then steps go, 

Clay

Correct

Polish

After that, this is my daily driver car, so liquid sealant is what I would do. However, can/do you put glaze down first, under sealant?

Make any sense to put glaze or buttery wax over sealant?

Thank you.

8 answers to this question

That list looks good Ryan.  

You are fine to apply BG, then PS over it.  Give it a few washes before you apply the Butter Wax.  It lets the PS cure completely.  Apply more BG when you want more 'pop' from the paint.

The glaze will fill in the paint under the sealant but you will be pretty much cancelling the high gloss of the glaze by then putting your sealant on top. I suggest putting your longest lasting sealant at the bottom then work your way up. Paint Sealant, Buttery Wax, then Glaze/americana/patriot

There's two sides to the glaze under or over the sealant.

It's been discussed ... a lot... some searching of the forums will take you to lots of passionate posts on both sides of the debate. 

Correct, Brilliant Glaze can be applied before or after Paint Sealant...personal preference, and it usually starts a big debate about longevity, which way is right, which way is wrong, etc. Let's not turn this into an argument this time :)

Great, thanks all.

So, is the "strip" wash necessary? That part scares me lol

Regarding the products; correcting and finishing polish, liquid sealant, brilliant glaze, and buttery wax, I have had these for over a year I think sitting in my garage...will they still be good or should I replace?

Strip Washes are not entirely necessary if you are going to be machine polishing anyway, but it will save you some extra effort with the polisher to not have to polish through any wax that is already on the vehicle.

As for the products, we recommend that if you garage gets below 45 F or above 85 F, then to move them inside for the best shelf life and performance. Extended exposure to extreme cold and heat can impact the chemical makeup of some of the products, but you should get 2 or more years of shelf life for most products when stored properly :)

Here's our FAQ on product shelf life:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/17083-faq-do-the-products-have-a-shelf-life/

Great, thanks all.

So, is the "strip" wash necessary? That part scares me lol

Regarding the products; correcting and finishing polish, liquid sealant, brilliant glaze, and buttery wax, I have had these for over a year I think sitting in my garage...will they still be good or should I replace?

Dude, it's not you that is stripping so no worries, right?  :P

I do like the adding the APC to the Wash Shampoo - it gives it lots of cleaner power, and can still be left on the surface while you wash the rest of the car.  Probably want to 'reactivate' the soap on the surface before the final rinse though - when the car is clean, clean the wash mitt again and reload with soap, now wipe the soapy mitt of the about 1/2 the car, then reload and do the other half, and pool rinse.  This makes the soap easier to remove. 

Disclaimer: I do NOT do the 'strip' wash in the sun, only in full shade.