Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help With VRT

gabhart

Question

Washed my wife's car a few days ago and dressed all exterior trim with VRT. It rained a good 24-30 hours later and now there is a film under all of the treated trim. I wiped it in pretty well when applying and did not put it on too thick.

Should have had plenty of dry time and I'm quite disappointed on how it has come off the trim and bled onto the paint.

Before I contact Adams I want to make sure I am not missing a step. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks all...

11 answers to this question

You applied too much VRT. I use makeup foam triangles to apply VRT to trim and rubber seals. It's far more agile I never put too much on.

Knocking it down with a towel after letting it sit for 30 minutes is a good idea.

The product is only slightly water resistant, it's not water proof. As stated above, you probably had too much product on the areas it was applied to. I apply VRT with a Foam Block, then go back with an Edgeless Utility Towel to level, and knock down any excess product.

You state it bled onto the paint. Has it been rained on? Does it sit outside overnight, where dew settled on it into the morning hours? The rain/dew just messed with your freshly washed paint, it's done the same to the areas you'd applied the VRT to; that's what water does.

Go back over the vehicle with Adam's new Waterless Wash, or give her a Rinseless Wash bath and you should remove all the streaking making the car look like she was just washed again.

The product is only slightly water resistant, it's not water proof. As stated above, you probably had too much product on the areas it was applied to. I apply VRT with a Foam Block, then go back with an Edgeless Utility Towel to level, and knock down any excess product.

You state it bled onto the paint. Has it been rained on? Does it sit outside overnight, where dew settled on it into the morning hours? The rain/dew just messed with your freshly washed paint, it's done the same to the areas you'd applied the VRT to; that's what water does.

Go back over the vehicle with Adam's new Waterless Wash, or give her a Rinseless Wash bath and you should remove all the streaking making the car look like she was just washed again.

It was rained on about a day later and yes, she sits outside over night. I may have put too much on. I will be washing it again in the next day or so and will try VRT again but this time knock it down with a towel about 30 minutes after applying.

Seems like a fair amount of work when other dressings are available that are water proof and do not need to be knocked down after application. Always being fearful of the product running onto the paint with the introduction of moisture does not give me a warm a fuzzy either!

Edited by gabhart

Funny....just had the exact same issue with a similarly-named product from another vendor...(I think they're a bunch of GUYS who mix CHEMICALS).....applied it to a plastic tailgate handle using a foam block....very, very, very small amount...actually all it did was darken the plastic as I was just applying some that had soaked into the foam block from a previous application.......it sat overnight......next afternoon it rained...and there it was....running down my tailgate.....and it turned the tailgate handle gray-ish.....had to use an APC and some elbow grease to fix that

You'll find that if its overapplied and you give it a wipedown with Waterless, diluted Rinseless etc after the first rain or first wash you'll still have the fresh new trim look and it won't do it anymore going forward and stay looking black for a month or two - Less is more with dressing in general, there is only so much product a piece of trim can absorb -

I probably use maybe 1/2 oz total to do all 4 of my X5 tires and when needed I probably use a total of 1/4 oz to do my trim - and I do NOT need to do my trim each time I dress my tires since it really lasts a while on plastic

As well, clean your foam block applicators often, especially if you are using them on tires as well as trim - there is a black gunk that the blocks pull out of the tires when applying the dressing and it is basically some dead rubber off your tires (even if they are cleaned before dressing) - if you go and try to apply dressing to trim with a decently soiled applicator for tires that could definitely contribute to product running

Alternatively you could use separate tire and trim applicators and the trim applicator will need cleaning less often.

My 50cents...

^ I keep my tire and trim dress block separate because of the tire gunk. I believe it keeps the trim cleaner.

I always get a little bit of film on the paint after a fresh trim dressing and rain. No big deal because it'll be time to wash the vehicle anyway and VRT isn't needed for another couple months IMO.  Just the nature of the beast.

As I contemplate returning the 2 bottles of VRT I have, I see on the shop page in the description that VRT is water resistant and waterproof:

How do you make the industries best trim and tire dressing even better? You eliminate its only weakness by making it water repellent! This amazing new product will amaze you each time you use it. 

That's right!! We've taken our extremely popular Vinyl, Rubber, and Tire dressing and eliminated the only complaint any of our customers ever had about it. Now instead of Adam's VRT Tire Trim Dressing washing away with the rain or coming off each time you clean your car the NEW Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing actually BEADS AND REPELS WATER!! 

Advances in polymer technology allowed us to keep the same amazing water based, low gloss, formula and make it water proof. The special additive allows the product to stand up to multiple washings, hundreds of miles of rain driving, and it even reduces surface tensions so much that water will literally roll right off of your trim and tires.

The bottle says it's "Water Resistant but not waterproof"

I have to admit this product has become one of the most frustrating and confusing things I have purchased in a while.

Edited by gabhart