Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bad pads?

landshark

Question

Does the Adam's pads has a useable temp range?  Reason I ask is last week, it was like high 90s air temp, I was using the orange pad, within the first or second pass, the velcro backing was separated from the pad (neo-foam material) with the sticky glue spread everywhere.  First time I ever seen it happened!  And it happened on 3 other orange pads too till I gave up and used the Rupes pads instead and it has no problem.  

Therefore, I'm wondering is Adam's pad has a temp limit of usage or did I get a bad batch of pads??  Yeah you can tell I was a bit frustrated that day..... :(

(I did sent an email to Adam via the web page but no reply for a week already, so I'm asking in here)

10 answers to this question

Wow I am absolutely shocked that someone has not replied! That his highly unusual for that group. 

Maybe the email either to them or from them got filterd as Spam some how. 

I would give them a call monday morning (I know Dan usually on the phones early) 

CALL US: SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE

Monday - Friday 5:30am-5:30pm MST

1-(866) 965-0400

The adams pads and rupes pads are a vastly different technology in my opinion. Adams pads work well but heat can build up faster causing the de lamination of the pad like you had. Long throw polishers put much more stress on the Velcro portion of the pad and polisher backing plate. I find the rupes pads stay cooler than the adams pads personally. I love adams pads still but they are a more universal option vs a specific rupes designed pad for a particular machine. The Adams will work fine but you will have to change pads or take breaks more frequently in my experiences. Im sure the Adams team can chime in as well. Dvk from rupes is the master of all things rupes so it's most definitely worth your time to get advice from him.

Edited by Dwhite0960

Additionally, what Gen Adam's pads were you running? I had a Gen5 pad delaminate at the velcro backing while using Rupes 15MkII on a hot day on some particularly bad paint. It was simply too much heat. I wasn't dealing with residue appropriately, either, which likely contributed to the delamination.

I really like the Adam's orange pad for it's decent cut and finish for a one step polish.  And had been using them for the past couple years with no problem whatsoever.  I believe mine was the Gen 5 pad (?), the one before the current waffle face, and is the same shape as the Rupes pads.

What model is your BigFoot polisher? 15 or 21? ES (first generation) or MarkII?

What speed were you running the machine at when the delamination happened?

Hi Dylan, it was the 15ES (1st gen) with speed at 5.  Do you recommend the yellow pad as a one step pads or I'd better use the UHS pad if I want to do one step?  (sorry if I'm not allow to ask this question in here.  If so, Dylan to PM me.  Thanks.)

I've used the Gen5 and Gen6 pads, as well as the Orange Microfiber pads in heat of 90*+ with no ill effects. They've been used on the Rupes 15 Mark 1 and Mark 2, the Rupes 21 Mark 1, the Rupes Mini, and the Flex 3401. 5 pounds of downward pressure is all that's required, don't run the machines on full speed unless you're working a single defect out. My Rupes 15 and 21 machines I'll run no higher than speed 4 during a correction, usually at speed 3. Be sure to mist the pad face lightly with Detail Spray a bit more often in high heat, the pads will dry out quicker generating additional heat.

The Velcro of the Gen5 pads is some sticky stuff. If you don't deliberately grasp between the machine backing plate and the pads Velcro surface you'll start to pull the pad off the Velcro. Once the Velcro has begun to separate it's just a matter of time before it'll come completely apart. The Gen6 pad's Velcro doesn't seem as sticky to me.

Sorry about that Gary, I searched through my whole email Inbox on the email address you have on here associated with your username and it did not turn up any results. Did you perhaps use the "Leave Us A Message" feature on our Live Chat? We do get backed-up sometimes with 100+ messages in there, so they can take us a while to reply to all of those. For fastest resolution to any issues, it's best to email us to orders@adamspolishes.com or call 866-965-0400. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Sorry about that Gary, I searched through my whole email Inbox on the email address you have on here associated with your username and it did not turn up any results. Did you perhaps use the "Leave Us A Message" feature on our Live Chat? We do get backed-up sometimes with 100+ messages in there, so they can take us a while to reply to all of those. For fastest resolution to any issues, it's best to email us to orders@adamspolishes.com or call 866-965-0400. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Not a problem Dan.  I know you guys probably have 100+ emails everyday.  And sometimes things got lost.  

Since you are on the thread, do you have any comments about the issue please?  Thanks in advance.  :)