Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mustang Engine Bay

RedDragon777

Question

Hello, I am new here but i am no stranger to car detailing. I have used everything from Meguires to Zymol, to Lucas oil detailers and Zaino. What i am having problems with is spider webbing and the engine bay. The webbing and light scratches i know i need to buff all that out, but the engine bay is what scares me. I have heard horror stories of water getting into the electronics and messing stuff up. I had a problem once where i was at a car show and it was raining lightly and i did not get a chance to close the hood and the car RESET. I mean everything on the car was blinking and shut down then on the second or third try of me starting the car, it started but i lost everything, my radio settings and the tune i put in the car. So now i am afraid of washing the engine bay. Also i have a Cold Air Intake so that makes it even worse.

I want to know what you guys think i should do, what is the best way to clean my engine bay. :help:

[[Edit: I just noticed the Engine Bay section so could a mod please move this thread there, Thank you]]

Edited by RedDragon777

20 answers to this question

Well, I don't know what year your Mustang is, but I have an '07. I routinely spray down the entire engine compartment. About every 3rd wash. The electronics on most newer cars arew very well sealed.

I always start the engine before I spray it down, use a light water pressure around any electrical connections. And I try not to spray directly into any obvious electrical components or the cold air intake.

Lastly, follow up with a generous coating of In & Out spray :thumbsup: (if you can find any)

I have never had any problems doing it this way.

hey bob we have close to the same car, mine is a 2006 Mustang GT. Nice Shelby GT by the way, i almost bought one. So you just lightly hose down the engine? Sacres me but i think i need to do that because the engine is really getting neglected. What kind of nozzle do you use on the hose or do you use un pressureized water.

Charles nice choice for the color on that GT500, i have a friend that owns a KR and the color is awesome but i do wish it had black stripes instead of blue. So do you think foil will help keep some of the water out.

I have Adams fire hose nozzle. Adjusted to a wide spray pattern. (less pressure).

A regular garden hose nozzle will work fine though. That's all I used until recently. Just spray it down as you do when washing the body. Just don't point the spray directly at anything electrical.

If you have any Adams All Purpose Cleaner, it works wonders on a dirty engine compartment. Just spray it on, let it set a few minutes, and rinse it off.

If you have a leaf blower or air hose, use it to dry the engine bay so you won't get any water spots.

One other note. I have always been told that it's not a good idea to spray really cold water on hot metal. I always wash the engine bay when the engine is cold. I start it just before washing.

I'm afraid to do my engine bay with water ever since I had a supercharger installed. There is a bit more electrical that isn't sealed very well. I suppose I could seal it all with plastic or like Charles said aluminum foil before I spray it off but I haven’t tried yet. Usually I just wipe everything down separately with rags but that doesn't work very well and takes a long time. I think that the Adam's APC will be a big help when I go to clean it this spring.

i recently washed the engine bay on my 01 Lightning with no problems after....covered up my cold air intake with a trash bag(all i could find lol) and took a leaf blower to it and no probs......and trust me i was just afraid as you are to wash it cuz ive heard stories too lol

i think i will just use the mist setting on my current nozzle and cover all the electrical, i think if i just get the paint wet i can scrub it down, i am just afraid of the car resetting again. Either that or just go in their with a spray bottle filled with water and hit just the areas i need.

I've NEVER had an issue when washing any of my cars. EVER.

I don't cover anything up but the air filter. I just use gentle water spray and some foaming engine degreaser. I may try the APC though. I haven't done my newest car yet.

Trust me, follow the video, use aluminum foil wrapped tight around anything you are afraid is sensitive electrical, if you have a CAI cover it with a trash bag, and go to town. I've yet to have a problem using this method on my GT500. The only advice I have, is to use a waffle weave towel to soak up the pools of water that collect in the spark plug wells. I don't know why I do it, but something makes me uneasy to have that much water in there. Plus, if you leave it in there it dries and leaves ugly hard water deposits! :mad: