Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine Polish Coated Car?

RAMblin1217

Question

A neighbor asked me this evening to wash his truck and also asked me to polish it as well. He had the truck coated, not sure which brand since it was done at the dealership. I told him it probably isn't necessary and that it would possibly thin out the coating itself. So my question is...am I wrong about it not being worth it?

11 answers to this question

I'm not sure since he said it was "coated by the dealer." I couldn't get anything more out of him than that. I highly doubt they used ceramic, so possibly nano? They told him it would last 7 years...so it could be ceramic though. I think I'll just tell him it's a waste of time and money haha.

What was it coated with? Nano coating?

Polishing will completely remove any coating regardless as it is abrading it off the surface.  The only one that I know of that needs to be sanded off is GTechniq Crystal Serum (the pro version).

But it sounds like he has the typical dealer sealant on it. 

Polishing will completely remove any coating regardless as it is abrading it off the surface.  The only one that I know of that needs to be sanded off is GTechniq Crystal Serum (the pro version).

But it sounds like he has the typical dealer sealant on it. 

:iagree: regardless of coating except the one mentioned - it will be removed with a machine polish -

Unless the dealer has an OPT or other coatings certified installer working in their "detail shop" (doubtful) - I'm sure its another case of the F&I guy selling that typical paint sealant application at POS -

Depending on the composition of the coating some can be lightly polished... most will be completely removed by even the most mild abrasive actions however.

Since it was "applied at the dealer" I'm going to go out on a limb and say its not a coating at all. He paid for one of the 'paint protection' programs which are typically a very basic sealant with an insurance policy tied to it. I can count on one hand the times I've seen dealer applied coatings and in almost all of those cases it was sub'd out to a detailer locally who was installing opticoat, cquartz, or similar territory protected products

Thanks! I called the dealership and the coating company is called Sentinel, which I've never heard of and can't even find any info on after googling them. After talking to the neighbor we decided to skip machine polishing and I'll just do a wash and intense tire and wheel clean. I did look at his paint with my swirl finder light and was shocked that he had close to zero visible swirls or scratches even though he uses death tunnel car washes. So whatever the coating actually is...it's doing its job.

Depending on the composition of the coating some can be lightly polished... most will be completely removed by even the most mild abrasive actions however.

Since it was "applied at the dealer" I'm going to go out on a limb and say its not a coating at all. He paid for one of the 'paint protection' programs which are typically a very basic sealant with an insurance policy tied to it. I can count on one hand the times I've seen dealer applied coatings and in almost all of those cases it was sub'd out to a detailer locally who was installing opticoat, cquartz, or similar territory protected products

Not a coating:

http://74.124.22.133/products-services-sentinel.php

http://74.124.22.133/pdfs/sentinel_FAST_FACTS.pdf

The appearance products are a PTFE (Originally Developed by Dupont) based liquid that applies a seal to treated surfaces.

So they're selling under the 'dupont teflon based sealant' shtick - which has been talked to death, but long story short is a lot of snakeoil in a liquid application as it requires a baking process of 450*... so unless that dealer has a very big oven the 'teflon' isn't doing much. 

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

I think it's time to talk to the ole neighboor and polish his vehicle and reseal with Adams since we all know they are superior. I would call the office and see how the new wash and wax and paint sealant play. Im not sure if it will effect the longevity since it's not technically bare paint with the new silica based wash and wax. I know one thing and that's I love silica based products they sheet and bead like bananas

My dealer actually is one of those rare ones that offers coatings, but yeah, it's because the local detailer does it. It was ceramic pro, but now he's doing GTechniq.