Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best way to clean serious crud off wheel barrels?

colodude18

Question

I recently purchased a pair of used OZ Ultraleggera wheels for use at the road track. I already had 2 full sets of these wheels purchased new, and given the abuse they see, with race pad dust and all, they age extremely well.

The 2 used wheels were pretty beat up, not so much actual damage (except a few small curb rash spots) but a lot of brake dust and other crud built up especially on the barrels. I guess the best word is "caked"

I'm trying not to resort to re-powder coating these wheels if I don't have to; being track wheels, I don't need them to be pristine.

So far, I have used the Deep Wheel Cleaner generously on them twice. The face of the wheel looks 10x better, but the barrels still have a lot of caked stuff left on them. 

Can anyone suggest either another product or what tools to use to try and get down to the painted surface? In one place the "cake" has come off a bit and I can see the black powder coat underneath, meaning it doesn't look corroded. This leads me to believe (hope?) that I can clean them up sufficiently myself.

If it's helpful, I can post some close-up pictures tonight, I'm at work right now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

10 answers to this question

I'm guessing the wheels are off the car and/or no tires mounted?

Get some of the blue "no scratch" scrubbie pads at your local Wally World or Dollar store.  Wear gloves.  Use Deep Wheel Cleaner liberally....you'll need multiple applications.  Do a small section at a time so that the wheel cleaner doesn't "run off".  Let it soak each time.   LIGHTLY agitate the caked on stuff with the blue scrubbie each application and it will gradually be less and less.  Once you get it down to a manageable level, switch to a regular wheel brush like the Fender Brush since it has a little stiffer bristles but not crazy stiff that it will scratch.  

I have a feeling that it would just shred the turbo stick. I actually tried the tire brush on a small section and it didn't seem to do very much. I think I need some chemical, either deep wheel cleaner or something else to loosen it up before I can scrub it, if that makes sense.

I'm guessing the wheels are off the car and/or no tires mounted?

Get some of the blue "no scratch" scrubbie pads at your local Wally World or Dollar store.  Wear gloves.  Use Deep Wheel Cleaner liberally....you'll need multiple applications.  Do a small section at a time so that the wheel cleaner doesn't "run off".  Let it soak each time.   LIGHTLY agitate the caked on stuff with the blue scrubbie each application and it will gradually be less and less.  Once you get it down to a manageable level, switch to a regular wheel brush like the Fender Brush since it has a little stiffer bristles but not crazy stiff that it will scratch.

That sounds like something that could work. Yes the wheels are off the car and tire-less. I'll give that a shot this weekend!

Update: 
One method I found to work well on removing remnants of adhesive balancing lead on wheel barrels is to soak a piece of shop towel in Goo Gone and leave it on the remnants for 24-48 hours.
I decided I'd try the same thing with the Deep Wheel Cleaner on a small patch of the wheel and it seemed to work well; after a few days I was able to peel off the layer of brake dust with a tooth pick fairly easily. I am now trying a larger patch and I will report back on the results here in a few days!

Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with (pre treatment):

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/colodude18/IMG_97791_zpsmduxfn0l.jpg

Edited by colodude18

I think if you can get a chip to break off and then get some chemical, in this case, wheel cleaner, underneath it, it will help break the bond between the brake dust and the wheel.  Based on that photo, a plastic putty knike or plastic scraper of some sort might aid in getting it to break up so the chemical can do it's job better.

I think if you can get a chip to break off and then get some chemical, in this case, wheel cleaner, underneath it, it will help break the bond between the brake dust and the wheel.  Based on that photo, a plastic putty knike or plastic scraper of some sort might aid in getting it to break up so the chemical can do it's job better.

You're exactly right. The key is getting the chemical underneath the layer of brake dust. By doing this I have expanded the patch in the picture to a 4x4 inch patch free of "crust". I've been reluctant to use anything other than tooth picks in fear of inducing (deeper) scratches to the powder coat. I'm still hoping I won't need these re-powdered but if I do, so be it. First priority is getting the crud off :)

Hello, l have detailed cars for 25 years and counting. Any time I have wheel crud to remove I pull out the big guns. You will need a high pressure washer or if you don't have access to one go down to the quarter car wash and use there's. You will also need to head down to Wally World and get your self a gallon of Castro super clean use it full strength but do no let it sit, spray it on and blast it off, on unfinished metal it will change it colors if you let sit to long. Make sure to use gloves as it is very strong chemical. Do not use the wheel cleaner version as it is weak. Use the full strength degreaser. Hope this helps.

Ocdrifter

http://www.superclean.com/products/superclean-cleaner-degreaser/