Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brand new vehicles

tjk

Question

I have a new Jeep Wrangler and I got it stright off the delivery truck so the dealership didn't have a chance to install the swirl marks. I have only used Adam's products and the 2 bucket system with foam gun or foam cannon. And blow dry 90% and H2o G&G while drying. There is currently zero swirl marks should I even bother with PCP or PFP with the Cyclo on this vehicle yet? Will the polishing help level the paint (remove orange peel / fish eye). Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me

post-14481-0-94409200-1475344517_thumb.jpg

Edited by tjk

11 answers to this question

Pics of the current condition and orange peel would likely help people give advice better.

I'm still trying to determine the route to take on my girlfriends 2017 explorer. Has orange peel all over. Was waiting to ask for advice til I actually had time to correct it.

Edited by SumBeach35

Yes, you should.

While the polishing won't really level the paint, it will make the paint have more gloss and depth, since you will be polishing out imperfections.  Even though these imperfections are not visible to the eye as swirls, they are there and do affect optical clarity.

My truck was the same, got it new, no visible swirls, and after having it for a year I did a two-step correction and it was a very noticeable improvement in gloss and depth.  The paint actually looked better polished and bare, then it did before with sealant, glaze and wax.

The answer to this question would only be "no" if the person did not use good technique during washing and drying and was going to eventually get swirls, so they might as well wait until there was more noticeable damage to do a paint correction.

Look at my pic in the first post see how the paint is not perfectly flat or smooth that is orange peel fish eye is just worse most time one would get fish eye with a respray and there was wax or oils that were sprayed over

ok stupid question I'm sure....what exactly is orange peel and fish eye?

Orange peel is a certain kind of finish that may develop on painted and cast surfaces, even screen protectors. The texture resembles the surface of the skin of an orange. Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

In some situations, such as interior house paint, the orange peel texture is generally desirable. In this case, a texture paint is generally applied with a spray gun. The texture is then painted over with the appropriate color. When painting walls, orange peel can also develop by using a roller with too little paint or too thick a paint and the surface dries before the texture can level

I used to paint cars for a living several years ago and I remember a discussion about orange peel with one of the factory paint reps. He told me that factory auto finishes are applied with some orange peel on purpose. The robots are actually capable of painting a perfectly smooth finish without orange peel but it was deemed that a slight amount of orange peel is desirable in mass marketing auto finishes. A perfectly smooth finish would show every little paint defect and of course swirl marks would stand out like a sore thumb even to the average consumer.

Of course we (as in Adam's OCD'ers) are always interested in a swirl-free finish and it is certainly possible with the current products. I just got done with a full correction on my newish (10 months) Camaro and I was absolutely astounded at the results, orange peel and all. A properly executed full correction will definitely make the factory orange peel a lot less noticeable.

Of course it is certainly possible to wet sand and polish the clear coat to get rid of most or all of the orange peel but this will drastically thin the clear coat and definitely affect durability. Maybe on a garage queen and almost all show car finishes have the orange peel completely removed but certainly not on a daily driver.