Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Dealer Brand Sticker

BRC

Question

Ladies and Gents,

Any recommendation on removing the dealer brand sticker? It looks like the attached. I'm worried about ruining the paint. Also, what is bet to de-badge my car? Photo also attached. post-15044-0-24371400-1476764991_thumb.jpgpost-15044-0-76398100-1476764991_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Brad

13 answers to this question

For debadging I heat the letters with a heat gun (on LOW) followed by fishing line using a sawing motion. Wear gloves. Then I pull the residue off by hand as much as possible before using an adhesive remover. Clay the area and polish.

The decal is the same process except no fishing line is needed. The heat will soften the glue and the decal enough to pull off by hand.

Hey Brad, here is a video on car debadging on YouTube, its real easy to do, I also like to use a 3m wheel eraser made to safely remove the black residue, I don't like using my fingers for rubbing because you can rub your skin raw. Hope this helps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=38d3qo6shHk The guys voice is annoying lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063VT0G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_35?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RUJ2D8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_77?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

The last link is a great adhesive remover.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

For debadging I heat the letters with a heat gun (on LOW) followed by fishing line using a sawing motion. Wear gloves. Then I pull the residue off by hand as much as possible before using an adhesive remover. Clay the area and polish.

The decal is the same process except no fishing line is needed. The heat will soften the glue and the decal enough to pull off by hand.

This is great - thank you so much! I'm looking forward to getting rid of these ugly decorations!

Hey Brad, here is a video on car debadging on YouTube, its real easy to do, I also like to use a 3m wheel eraser made to safely remove the black residue, I don't like using my fingers for rubbing because you can rub your skin raw. Hope this helps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=38d3qo6shHk The guys voice is annoying lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063VT0G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_35?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RUJ2D8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_77?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

The last link is a great adhesive remover.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks a ton, Joe. I'm going to watch these videos today at work (like I do with all of Adam's car wash videos) so I'm prepared tonight. Now I need to leave work early to get it done!

I haven't really done any debadging.  But for sticker removal, I tend to use my steamer.  Once I get done I reapply my layers to protect the finish.  I'll usually only remove decals if I'm doing a full detail anyway to guarantee that I've covered the area and it all looks the same with the rest of the vehicle. 

For badge removal, I heat with a hair dryer or heat gun (heat guns can get hot very quickly even on the low setting, so be careful not to burn the paint or your fingers!), and then I use dental floss to gently 'cut' through the adhesive. Fishing line works too, but dental floss seems more soft to me. Dental floss can snap and break and takes a little longer, but I would rather take my time to reduce the chance of scratches.

For sticker removal, I will heat the area in a similar manner and carefully use my fingernail to slowly peel the sticker off. If the edge is very stubborn, I will use a plastic razor blade to lift the edge to get started; however, even the plastic razor blade can cause a scratch mark that would then need to be polished out.

Most left over residue can be removed with some All Purpose Cleaner and an Edgeless Utility Towel for me, followed up with Revive Hand Polish and a Blue Hex Grip Applicator or Correcting Polish with an Orange Foam Pad if there are scratches that need to be machine polished out.

For badge removal, I heat with a hair dryer or heat gun (heat guns can get hot very quickly even on the low setting, so be careful not to burn the paint or your fingers!), and then I use dental floss to gently 'cut' through the adhesive. Fishing line works too, but dental floss seems more soft to me. Dental floss can snap and break and takes a little longer, but I would rather take my time to reduce the chance of scratches.

For sticker removal, I will heat the area in a similar manner and carefully use my fingernail to slowly peel the sticker off. If the edge is very stubborn, I will use a plastic razor blade to lift the edge to get started; however, even the plastic razor blade can cause a scratch mark that would then need to be polished out.

Most left over residue can be removed with some All Purpose Cleaner and an Edgeless Utility Towel for me, followed up with Revive Hand Polish and a Blue Hex Grip Applicator or Correcting Polish with an Orange Foam Pad if there are scratches that need to be machine polished out.

GREAT! Thank you. Super helpful. I really appreciate the full detail.

Thanks for the follow up, guys. 

Will Goo Gone, used to remove residue, hurt my paint?

No, as long as you don't let it sit on there too long or dry onto the surface. I would definitely follow up with applying a sealant or wax afterward (after polishing if necessary) to put some protection on that painted area though :)

A little late to this thread, but that's not a "badge", but simply a vinyl sticker.  Being a new car, it should peel right off.  A little adhesive remover will clean up anything left around the edges and you're good to go.  

Great. Thank you all for your help!

I used fishing line on my badges of my 14 ram laramie and worked great. Scraped what I could off with my fingernail and then tried goo gone for the rest,which worked ok but took a while to scrub all the adhesive off. Picked up some 3m adhesive remover and this worked great! Removed the adhesive much, much better than goo gone

I used fishing line on my badges of my 14 ram laramie and worked great. Scraped what I could off with my fingernail and then tried goo gone for the rest,which worked ok but took a while to scrub all the adhesive off. Picked up some 3m adhesive remover and this worked great! Removed the adhesive much, much better than goo gone

A lot of you guys recommended the 3M remover, so I picked that up. Thanks for the shout.