Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best beginner detailing products/ best way to learn!

Jrosacker

Question

I'm 17! I've been looking into detailing for awhile, watching tons of videos, reading forums, etc.. I want to start a little business this spring to make some money for college plus I enjoy it!! I just ordered

-16oz tire shine

-1 gallon detail spray

-1 gallon leather and interior cleaner

-16oz h20 guard and gloss

-Adams leather conditioner

-Adams empty labeled bottles (16oz)

-2 gamma seal and grit guard logo buckets

- Adams cockpit brush

-car shampoo

I'm just looking to get started, I didn't want to spend too much so I tried to get the stuff I really need to start, how did I do?? Thanks guys! Also best way to learn more about detailing?

19 answers to this question

Willl do! Black Friday I'm hoping there is a sale so I can add to my selection! Any tips on how to really get into detailing? I saw one guys thread and wow his pictures of the cars he details are stunning! That's my goal.

If you have a lot of family members that are willing to donate their cars as test subjects, that's how I like to do it.

I would suggest as few Great White Drying Towels.  Many times the swirls you see are caused by improper wash technique, and most of that is drying with poor quality towels.  

Get your wash technique down, including using DS and Great White Drying Towels, and you should be set for tackling other peoples cars.

Bottom line, I think you'll need to address the paint swirls/scratches before moving onto working on the showroom shine or even maintenance with HGG. So, my opinion, you should consider PCP (with orange applicator), and ditto on Chris' suggestion for LPS. Once you save up enough, consider a machine polisher...then again, you're young so shouldn't tire as quickly as some of us on here. Ha!

I do, and for an affordable choice to use as a first timer, I'd recommend the Porter Cable 7424XP:

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-porter-cable-7424xp.html

You could also check out the Garage Sale Forum to see what others on here have posted for sale. Sometimes you'll find polishers, pads, etc., on there.

Very capable machine, and it won't burn or damage your paint. Watch these for some comfort factor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XAqpOe9Zt4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7A5BCCb7Gg

Rememeber the Adam's pads are color coded to the polish, etc, and don't forget the backing plate.

Above all, have fun!

Edited by falcaineer

I do, and for an affordable choice to use as a first timer, I'd recommend the Porter Cable 7424XP:

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-porter-cable-7424xp.html

You could also check out the Garage Sale Forum to see what others on here have posted for sale. Sometimes you'll find polishers, pads, etc., on there.

Rememeber the pads are color coded to the polish, etc, and don't forget the backing plate.

Above all, have fun!

I agree with Chris, And also be sure to check out Adams Kit's, they can save you a lot in the end.

Edited by BluedogGMC

So I'm confused on like waxing/polishing? Polishing is paint correction right? So shaving a layer of clear coat off. And waxing is paint protectant? So is the PC only used for paint correction and how often do you do it? I'm just having hard time with the order I'd do things.

Check out these forum topics:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27631-faq-should-i-use-wax-or-sealant-on-my-car/

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/28664-ask-the-shine-doc-ep-6-sealants-vs-waxes/

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/31696-first-polisher/

The PC can be used for polishing and waxing, as well as sealing. Adam's also offers hand applicators for you to use in the meantime. Honestly, how often you paint correct depends on how the paint looks. For example, I just bought a car (daily driver) and it's not in need of correcting; I'll likely just clay and seal w/o the polish before winter. In the spring, I'll check the condition and go from there.

As for the order, I've found lots of opinions on that one across the forums. Discussions such as one product potentially shortening the life of another, or an extra step not really giving the bang-for-the-buck you want.

For simplicity, in my opinion: 1) polish, 2) seal, 3) wax. 

what about order of everything in general? I've watched adam's videos on each of his products, my plans for fully detailing other peoples cars are as follows.

1.wheels and rims washed (with separate glove and bucket)

2.interior, full detail, vacuum, carpet shampoo, etc..

exterior

1.rinse

2. wash with 2 bucket method

3.rinse

4.clay bar/ details spray 

then I'm confused by what comes after that 

Again, lots of opinions, and your desired end result (e.g., basic detail, showroom shine, etc.) will drive your steps. But here's what I'd say using the steps you outlined as a baseline:

At any time: Interior, full detail, vacuum, carpet shampoo, etc..

Exterior

1. Wheels and rims washed (with separate glove and bucket)

2. Rinse

3. Strip wash (use Adam's Strip Wash or basic dish detergent)

4. Rinse

5. VRT all trim (will make removing any polish/sealant/wax much easier later)

6. Clay bar using DS as a lubricant

7. Paint Correcting Polish

8. Paint Finishing Polish (if you want the next level shine)

9. Alcohol wipe-down (50/50 with water, used to remove polish oils) with a blue waffle towel

10. Liquid Paint Sealant

11. Buff off any residue with a single or double soft towel

12. Wax and/or Glaze (this is where others should chime in since I don't do these steps)

13. Reapply VRT to trim, as necessary, and VRT/Tire Shine to wheels

14. Sit back, apply sunglasses, and admire!  :cool:  :D

Edited by falcaineer

So would I use the detail spray to clay bar then again before drying? Also, the polishing, you wouldn't do that everytime would you?

Detail spray has a variety of uses. Using it as lubrication for clay barring, and using it as a helpful drying agent is just a couple. 

And no, you don't need to polish every time. For example, I only polish once or twice a year.

Again, lots of opinions, and your desired end result (e.g., basic detail, showroom shine, etc.) will drive your steps. But here's what I'd say using the steps you outlined as a baseline:

At any time: Interior, full detail, vacuum, carpet shampoo, etc..

Exterior

1. Wheels and rims washed (with separate glove and bucket)

2. Rinse

3. Strip wash (use Adam's Strip Wash or basic dish detergent)

4. Rinse

5. VRT all trim (will make removing any polish/sealant/wax much easier later)

6. Clay bar using DS as a lubricant

7. Paint Correcting Polish

8. Paint Finishing Polish (if you want the next level shine)

9. Alcohol wipe-down (50/50 with water, used to remove polish oils) with a blue waffle towel

10. Liquid Paint Sealant

11. Buff off any residue with a single or double soft towel

12. Wax and/or Glaze (this is where others should chime in since I don't do these steps)

13. Reapply VRT to trim, as necessary, and VRT/Tire Shine to wheels

14. Sit back, apply sunglasses, and admire!  :cool:  :D

Great break down, I'm just responding so I can find this easier later. :)