Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cost of Sealant vs Longevity Adam's Paint Sealant 8oz.

Geebee

Question

I hate to admit to this, (I do like a majority of Adam's products) but after applying the Adam’s Paint Sealant to my BMW 640i, I have washed my baby 3 times in the past months. (Note: Purchased Adam’s Paint Sealant 8oz. for $19.99) I also washed my BMW X3 three times also during the same time span after applying Wolfgang WG550 16oz Paint Sealer within a day or two of sealing my 640i. (Note: Purchased on Amazon $29.77) 

OK, let’s do the math….. If I purchased 2 bottles of Adam’s sealant, (to equal 16oz) I would spend $39.98 plus shipping. Whereas if I purchased the Wolfgang WG5500 Paint Sealant, (16oz bottle) I would spend $29.97 with free shipping.  I hate to say it but the Wolfgang sealant lasted longer (water beading) than the Adam’s sealant, but not by much. Both were easy to apply and remove. Now I’m looking at the cost. I’m not a penny pincher, but looking at the longevity vs cost…..I do think Adam’s would need to cut a buck or two off the cost of the 8oz bottle to be competitive. The Adam’s Paint Sealant is a good product; I have no real complaints except for the minor cost issue. 

12 answers to this question

I'm confused. I think the longevity of the Paint Sealant is supposed to be around 6 months. How long was your test that allowed you to compare these two products? I believe there's more to paint sealant than just the beading properties.

I hate to admit to this, (I do like a majority of Adam's products) but after applying the Adam’s Paint Sealant to my BMW 640i, I have washed my baby 3 times in the past months. (Note: Purchased Adam’s Paint Sealant 8oz. for $19.99) I also washed my BMW X3 three times also during the same time span after applying Wolfgang WG550 16oz Paint Sealer within a day or two of sealing my 640i. (Note: Purchased on Amazon $29.77) 

OK, let’s do the math….. If I purchased 2 bottles of Adam’s sealant, (to equal 16oz) I would spend $39.98 plus shipping. Whereas if I purchased the Wolfgang WG5500 Paint Sealant, (16oz bottle) I would spend $29.97 with free shipping.  I hate to say it but the Wolfgang sealant lasted longer (water beading) than the Adam’s sealant, but not by much. Both were easy to apply and remove. Now I’m looking at the cost. I’m not a penny pincher, but looking at the longevity vs cost…..I do think Adam’s would need to cut a buck or two off the cost of the 8oz bottle to be competitive. The Adam’s Paint Sealant is a good product; I have no real complaints except for the minor cost issue.

When doing your "test" was each car prepped the exact same way? Did u clay both vehicles ?

I understand what your talking about with cost I believe the cost per oz went up when They went to 8oz size . But it does cost less to buy a bit of everything and u will allways have fresh product .

Dustin and Trevor,

Maybe I should clarify myself on this one. I (striped) washed both cars, on my BMW 640i I applied Adam’s Paint Sealant and on my BMW X3 I applied the Wolfgang Paint Sealant the same day. Over time and the car washings, I noticed that the beading action and surface texture (smoothness) on my X3 was better than my 640i.

I guess my point was that both Adam’s and Wolfgang (which is actually Menzerna in a different bottle) are excellent sealants. It was just a point of pricing for each sealant. Not a real big deal, but I just like the biggest bang for the buck and with Adam’s you’re paying a premium for the product.

I'd still question the actual prep work. Strip wash is one thing, and claying the car is another. Maybe one needed it, and the other didn't. Hard to speculate with not seeing them in person.

But to your point, there's usually a sale to help with the price. And the bottle is way better than the competition.....meaning your product will stay in top condition for longer. That translates to lower cost since you won't have as much waste from product going bad.

I'd still question the actual prep work. Strip wash is one thing, and claying the car is another. Maybe one needed it, and the other didn't. Hard to speculate with not seeing them in person.

But to your point, there's usually a sale to help with the price. And the bottle is way better than the competition.....meaning your product will stay in top condition for longer. That translates to lower cost since you won't have as much waste from product going bad.

James,

Both cars were striped washed with Adam's Strip Wash, then completely clay bared, and then the sealant applied. It's no big issue, I was just pointing out the price difference between the two products. Like I stated before, Adam's Paint Sealant is a great product. Along with others on the market, I was just cost evaluating them....that's all.

That seems like a really short lifespan. 

I get several months out of Paint Sealant.  There are plenty of factors involved, so it is not quite clear when comparing two products. For example, I have found interior detailer terrible for some interiors, and great for others. I would think, paint can be similar. Depending on what is on the paint, what it is coated with, the hardness, etc, could affect the sealant. Among other factors, such as how much it is driven in the ran and so forth.

Again, hard to say. A month seems really short though.

He does live in Vegas which would make a difference how long the sealant would last. Even in Texas i refuse to use wax because it is gone in no time. The good thing about the sealant is you can put on another coat three months after without having to clay or remove everything. I always apply two coats of sealant to start with and that seems to help out quite a bit. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and state that the test is invalid because both cars were prepped differently, and were likely not exposed to the same environmental conditions. The number of washes is only a single variable among dozens, if not hundreds, found in a comparison like this.

If you prefer one sealant over the other, then go with that. But declaring the need for a price reduction based on little else than fleeting observation isn't the best way to articulate an argument or lend it credibility.

It would depend on exposure to the elements too.  More sun I would imagine would shorten the longevity of the LPS.  Its a tough thing to do a controlled test on something like this.  As far as the price, I cant argue with you there.  :wacko: