Customer Service 866.965.0400

Revive hand polish or paint finishing polish?

joelilton23

Question

Hi guys,

trying to work out which one to order, or if I need to order both. I have a brand new Mazda that has some slight etching and swirl marks from the dealer, and I am trying to work out which polish will be the best to use to remove these.

I don't have access to a machine polisher at the moment, so I would be doing the correction by hand. This leads me to the revive hand polish, but I am not sure if this will need to be followed up by the paint finishing polish to produce the best results? I will be applying LPS and H2O to the panels afterwards, as I have already done this on the unaffected panels.

Also, the blue/red/orange applicators are out of stock here in Australia, so is there any other pad/microfibre I could use to apply by hand?

They are only slight marks, so I do not believe it will take much to remove them. I can get pictures if it will help

Thanks!

Edited by joelilton23

7 answers to this question

Revive hand polish is the way for you to go. I'm not sure which pad I'd substitute. The finishing polish you really would have better luck with a machine. If they're light superficial scratches, revive should do it. Or you can get a drill backing plate and get a better cut. But be cautious so you don't burn the clear coat doing that.

If you use Revive, that's all you need.  You can follow up with the LPS and H20 .  Brilliant Glaze works great with the Revive.  As for the applicators, for the H20 you only need towels, and for the Revive and LPS , you can use the blue microfiber pads (if they're available) http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-microfiber-applicator-pads-2-pack.html

If worse case scenario..........you can just use a blue microfiber towel, but the pad is easier to use.  

I'm a 90% by hand guy too.  

Looks like "least aggressive" wins again! Good luck, Joel.

It does still leave a couple questions, though. If Finishing Polish is all someone has access to as their "least aggressive" option, can it be applied by hand in the absence of a machine polisher, and if so, which applicator(s) would be best?

If you use Revive, that's all you need.  You can follow up with the LPS and H20 .  Brilliant Glaze works great with the Revive.  As for the applicators, for the H20 you only need towels, and for the Revive and LPS , you can use the blue microfiber pads (if they're available) http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-microfiber-applicator-pads-2-pack.html

If worse case scenario..........you can just use a blue microfiber towel, but the pad is easier to use.  

I'm a 90% by hand guy too.  

Awesome, the blue microfiber pads are in stock here - so I'll grab some of those when I order

Looks like "least aggressive" wins again! Good luck, Joel.

It does still leave a couple questions, though. If Finishing Polish is all someone has access to as their "least aggressive" option, can it be applied by hand in the absence of a machine polisher, and if so, which applicator(s) would be best?

I would like to know this as well, and fingers crossed it turns out!

Revive hand polish is the way for you to go. I'm not sure which pad I'd substitute. The finishing polish you really would have better luck with a machine. If they're light superficial scratches, revive should do it. Or you can get a drill backing plate and get a better cut. But be cautious so you don't burn the clear coat doing that.

Great info, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate all the help I can get :)

The Finishing Polish is really best with a machine.  I've never tried it by hand. 

They sell an orange hand applicator for the correcting polish even though it's really meant to be used with a machine.  Obviously the best results would come from a machine, but I would still think you could use the finishing polish by hand in some way if a machine weren't available.  Not sure what applicator that would be though.

To the OP:  I've used Revive a few times and gotten good results from it (really enhanced the look of the paint by cleaning up the surface), but it didn't remove all of the light swirls and scratches.  Maybe I didn't use enough elbow grease or the swirls weren't as "light" as I thought they were, but I wouldn't recommend that you expect flawless paint after using it.  It definitely helps though and is worth trying.

They sell an orange hand applicator for the correcting polish even though it's really meant to be used with a machine.  Obviously the best results would come from a machine, but I would still think you could use the finishing polish by hand in some way if a machine weren't available.  Not sure what applicator that would be though.

To the OP:  I've used Revive a few times and gotten good results from it (really enhanced the look of the paint by cleaning up the surface), but it didn't remove all of the light swirls and scratches.  Maybe I didn't use enough elbow grease or the swirls weren't as "light" as I thought they were, but I wouldn't recommend that you expect flawless paint after using it.  It definitely helps though and is worth trying.

Thanks for your feedback! I might wait until the swirl killer becomes available here before I tackle it, and give the car a full going over, just to be safe