Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black Harley

DCRANER

Question

Hi all, question.

Just picked up a 2016 Harley black)with 938 miles, so really like new.

So, figured I would clay then polish with Paint Finishing polish. As bike is small compared to a car how best to do the polish by hand? I do have a Snap On small detail size air compressor polisher with 3" pads but that may be overkill.

Then after I will do Americana.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Doug

12 answers to this question

I have a Rupes mini that's been used on several bikes, similar in size to the SK mini. Using that I can get a good portion of the paint but still have to do some by hand. Personally, I would start by hand and see where that gets you. If there is a good amount of chrome I like to use Revive and Brilliant Glaze on that.

I have a Rupes mini that's been used on several bikes, similar in size to the SK mini. Using that I can get a good portion of the paint but still have to do some by hand. Personally, I would start by hand and see where that gets you. If there is a good amount of chrome I like to use Revive and Brilliant Glaze on that.

Thanks. It's black so it has to be done right, but I like most here do enjoy taking the time to get it right.  The whole bike is basically black & chrome. The one good thing with the Harley's is the paint and chrome quality is about as good as it gets.

I usually on chrome do the #1 polish and maintain with Detail Spray. What is the advantage of Brilliant Glaze on chrome? 

I'll have to do some work and then post some pics.

Thanks again.

Thanks. It's black so it has to be done right, but I like most here do enjoy taking the time to get it right.  The whole bike is basically black & chrome. The one good thing with the Harley's is the paint and chrome quality is about as good as it gets.

I usually on chrome do the #1 polish and maintain with Detail Spray. What is the advantage of Brilliant Glaze on chrome? 

I'll have to do some work and then post some pics.

Thanks again.

I agree, Harley has great paint quality and the chrome work is awesome. The advantage to adding Brilliant Glaze is that it will add more depth, gloss and reflection in the chrome. Glaze doesn't last long but for its ease of application it's worth it, especially before a show or taking it to a bike gathering.

Thanks again.  Also I'm thinking about the chrome wire wheels, is Adams Wheel Cleaner still the best/ And as it is basically a new bike the wire wheels are in good shape, I'm more concerned with making sure they don't get grungy and have some protection on them.

Adam's wheel cleaner is awesome especially with a wheel woolie. I would use that and then maybe hit them with h2o g&g. LPS would work as well but definitely harder to apply to those. Wish Quick Sealant was still available, perfect for sealing bikes.

I have a black 2014 street glide, one thing I noticed about Harley paint is it swirls very easily. I would notice swirls after a few months of occasional wipe downs with waterless or detail spray. On the other hand, it corrects very easily. One pass with correcting Polish and a Rupes mini and swirls are gone. As advised, brilliant glaze gives the chrome some crazy shine. I don't wax it too often, mainly just waterless wash wipe downs or h20

As others have said, I think the surface area on a Harley is too small to use a polisher.  Doing it by hand has always worked great for me, especially since the paint quality is so good.

This was a wash, clay, and wax I did on my buddy's bike before he sold it.  Looked phenomenal in person.

E0DA5F8D-20DC-4233-88D0-B2B9EAECC926_zps

910B3341-477D-4EF9-BC3B-1E2EF6B20EE3_zps

B2799CAA-4BAE-4895-9152-D11B9338C200_zps

FC67AB5E-599C-403F-B84F-241E2CAE9DCB_zps

56E8E6B5-E81D-4A46-879C-5888333402C2_zps

F1EC4BC5-752C-4D5B-9312-11085161639F_zps