Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I care for a new truck with a utility bed?

sahls01gmc

Question

My new work truck is a 2016 RAM, and it has a utility bed.  I'm more or less a mobile diesel mechanic, and I haul a lot of equipment as well (about 1,500 miles a week). 

What would be the most efficient way to keep a lil bit of shine on this ride?  My thought is the cab could use a regular wash, but the utility bed would need a bit more strength to get the oil and grease removed from the boxes.  I'm not worried about the bed section, it's got a Line-X coating and it will always be dirty. 

So would an efficient effort be to strip wash the utility bed first, then 2 bucket wash the entire truck?  I'm looking to do a similar process to Adam's Daily Driver video.  I've used the Wash & Wax on my other daily drivers, and I love it!  Since it's a work truck, I won't be able to pamper it with any polishing.  Has anyone followed up a Wash & Wax with H2O G&G?

Suggestions welcome!

6 answers to this question

In a former job, I used to oversee the company's truck fleet; mostly service vans and trucks with utility beds like yours.   Lemme tell ya, it wasn't easy keeping them somewhat clean.   Forget about detailed.

Anyway, if it were mine, I'd use a shampoo with some real cleaning ability, like Strip Wash.   Mix in some APC if you have to cut grease and grime.  Once clean, a good coat of paint sealant will provide solid protection.   Regular washing would always end up with H20 G&G.   That combo should maintain the shine and be easy to use.

Long days! I average at least 50 hours a week. Typically, it's a 500 mile driving day at a time, with some small wrenching on those days. The other days of the week I turn wrenches all day long either at the shop or on the customers site.

My "detailing" time for the work truck usually happens when I'm at the hotel.....such as I am right now. Too bad my birthday is Tuesday (7th). Nothing like spending your birthday away from your family! It's all worth it though, I make time for what's important to me. I coach my daughters softball team, and tournament season is just about to kick off! Weekends are about to be booked solid til the middle of the summer.

Happy birthday James!

Me personally, I would protect it with Paint Sealant as soon as possible while the truck is new, before it starts to get too dirty, then maintain with a weekly wash if possible and H2O Guard every 1-2 months. I wouldn't use Strip Wash much, since it's a very strong cleaner and would weaken the sealant protection.

Thanks Dan!

I suppose I could spring an extra hour to put a coat of Paint Sealant on, then maintenance would be a lot easier.  Much like anything else, the better the prep, the better the result.

I suppose I could fill up a shopping cart for my birthday!  Hopefully it will be at home when I get there.

If possible, try a coating on the truck.  The plus for the coating is you can use a degreaser to clean it, and it will not remove the protection.  My son's car has a coating on it, and I only get to wash it every few months.  I use Strip Wash to clean it and it comes out great.  The coating has to be removed by mechanical means (polishing).