Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering Trim Coating over Trim Restorer

moons21

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have read a few posts in different threads where people have said they called into Adam's and was given a thumbs up on layering the Trim Coating over the Trim Restorer.... now the million dollar question.... Timing of this...

If I was to use the Trim Restorer on my Avalanche, how long do I have to wait for it to cure before applying the ceramic coating?  Also, would I follow the preparation steps the same when applying the coating or would the Rubber and Tire Cleaner remove the pigment that the Restorer put down?

Anyone from Adam's have a stance on this, would love to hear from someone or see a video on this before I attack the volume of faded plastic on the truck.

Here is a "pre" pic for my base line of what I'm starting with.  Typical fading plastic on an Avalanche...

23000354_10154722168436652_3173217115458

Thanks

Greg

7 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

Per Adams "The trim restorer takes 6 hours to dry, and you can apply ceramic at that time without damaging anything, however it is recommended to allow trim restorer a 12-24 hour period before applying ceramic" 

Interesting... Sounds like a full weekend or more of the truck being parked in the garage to allow it all to cure....12hrs for trim restorer and another 48hrs for the ceramic to fully cure before being exposed to weather...

Hi Greg and Keagan,

Great questions! With my testing with Black Trim Restorer, I have found that if I over-apply it a little too much, it may still have a bit of remaining color transfer onto your fingers if you wipe them across the plastic trim even after 12 hours of cure time. The solution to this is to take an Edgeless Utility Towel and wipe away any excess residue. Me personally, I would wait a full 24 hours for cure, prep with some Coating Prep over the trim, wipe away the residue, and then apply the Ceramic Trim Coating as instructed. If you are going from applying Black Trim Restorer to Ceramic Trim Coating without driving the vehicle in between, you can most likely skip using the Tire & Rubber Cleaner before applying the Ceramic Trim Coating.

Most of the team is at SEMA this week, so unfortunately we cannot shoot a video on this at this time.

14 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Or - do the trim restore now and the trim coating in the spring.

I'm thinking with the Avalanche if I did it now and didn't do the ceramic on top to protect it, the winter snow, ice and salt would make me have to do it all again in the spring.  Not like we have good washing days up here in the winter very often and where I live, its a 20min drive to the pay and spray.