Customer Service 866.965.0400

H2O guard on ceramic coating

snapper23

Question

8 answers to this question

You could...but why?  One of the many benefits of ceramic coatings is “ease of maintenance.” The coating when kept clean and decontaminated is hydrophobic and creates a barrier between contaminants and your paint. The only thing we top ceramic coatings with is Ceramic Boost (or similar depending on the brand of coating). In fact, we offer some coatings that don’t require the spray top layer. 

There are many posts here about topping ceramics with various products, but it makes me wonder why people are so eager to change how the coating works and the benefits of it after spending the time and money to have it done. 

@ Shane...I don’t think it’s always so much about changing the performance of something as it is the looks/finish of something.  I’ve always wondered this...what if (since were in this thread) a guy liked the appearance of G&G better? Now you have that base layer ultimate protection of the coating, with the benefits of G&G on the surface. Or at least that’s how my brain processes it. 

The only thing I would avoid trying if you’re gonna go this route with the coating, is that I wouldn’t mix and match G&G with Boost. 

And N.Y. then I’m sure others are like me and can’t just leave anything alone! LOL! 

This brings up a question that I know the answer to but trying to find a reason for.

Also, Adam in one of the very recent videos (I think on his Denali or his Jeep) used H20 GG and then mentioned that the vehicle is ceramic coated. Seems redundant. 

Edited by LSX Maestro

I can see it being redundant if on a show car or a vehicle that is stored inside a garage with minimal use in inclement weather.

Adam using H2O GG on his Jeep or Denali over Ceramic Coating is just helping prolong the ceramic coating on a daily driver that sees all kinds of weather. 

If your vehicle is parked outside and/or is driven daily, why not add additional protection over ceramic coating? It's not going to any shows to win awards so 100% clarity and depth is a non-issue, so keep up the longevity of the ceramic coating by adding GG or a wax, sealant or whatever you choose.

Edited by Gremlin85

H20 GG on top of Ceramic Coating not a good idea. Why? The top layer of the Ceramic Coating has a silica protectant to make the surface very slick allowing nothing to adhere to it. Thus H2O GG will not adhere very well. I had a ceramic coated vehicle before Adam came out with his product. I loved it, washed with ease and used a master blaster to get the water off and never had to touch it with a towel because of the slick surface. The manufacture of that ceramic product advised not to apply a wax over ceramic because it will not stick and could cause a cloudy look to the surface. I have seen a few people try to apply a wax over it and weeks later start to see white streaks on the finish. Those streaks was the wax lifting off. It will not hurt the ceramic surface but seems like a lot of work for nothing and maybe more work later.

I agree. I wouldn’t use it over ceramic. That being said, there are ceramic compatible waxes for those who feel the need to do something. Again though, I don’t see the purpose if you’ve coated your vehicle. To still need to add protection regularly seems counterintuitive to the time/expense of a coating. If I told clients their coatings still needed the same regular applications of sealants and waxes, I can’t imagine a single one spending the money to do it. 

Just because you can do something, doesn’t necessarily mean you should. Ceramic Pro demonstrates burning the finish of their coatings...actually setting them on fire. Would you do the same?  Demonstrations and real world are often two different environments.

To each their own, but I won’t recommend clients apply anything over their coatings other than the top agents of whatever coating we’ve installed.