Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing While Traveling, Ideas Needed

JoeySr

Question

We are going across South West US in a couple weeks to Tuscon AZ, up to Chandler, across to Vegas and then out East to DC area.

Don't have tons of room in the car & looking for the "best" ideas and products to take with us to keep the car as clean as possible.

Space is at a premium, no room for a 5 gallon bucket & a mess of brushes, products and such, need to think minimalist but want the car to be clean and sparkle.

Ideas on what products to take, how best to keep he car clean and shiny?

20 answers to this question

Before you go, a good base of sealant or wax will allow the road crud to come off easier during the trip. Then, I’d recommend you pack a bottle of Waterless Wash and some blue WW towels, and maybe some DS and Single or Double Soft towels. Assuming it’s not more than light dust/dirt, rain spots, fingerprints, etc., Waterless Wash is ideal (anything more and you’ll need to just wait till you get back...you can also dilute Rinsess Wash 16:1 for a Waterless Wash-like solution at a fraction of the cost). For the inevitable bugs, spray then let soak for a while, and lightly rub off what you can. DS can also help with some added shine and protection. Glass Cleaner may be worth adding to the mix, but you can get decent results with the WW in a pinch. Brilliant Glaze will add some serious, albeit short term shine with very limited protection and is easy to apply quickly by hand. You might also consider packing some MRB to clean the towels along the way should you have access to a washing machine. Those towels are going to get nasty. Get and Adam’s bag to keep it all together.

Have a safe trip! :lancer:

Where around the DC area are you heading (PM if you want).  

I keep some towels in a ziplock bag at all times, and squeeze them under a seat just fyi.  Definitely like Chris said seal everything up inculding windows/windshield.  Personally I’d doube and triple up the front end because of bugs.

Not sure how strapped for room you are, but you could always get small travel bottles at wally world and take a bunch of different chemicals with ya.  

Either way have fun and be safe

Seal the glass def a must you will thank yourself for that one. How long will you be gone? That can have a big effect on towel quantities, coin op places will be a big help and if your sealed up well will blast off most of what you need with just water. 

I would bring Glass cleaner, leather and interior cleaner, and waterless (or rinseless in base form with a bottle for making waterless on the fly) 

Towels:

Glass towel, Id figure 1/4 towel per day and would really only concentrate on the front glass. 

Utility Towels, id bring 2 

Borderless Grey or Single softs, as many as you can fit reasonably. (These can double for waterless as needed) 

Dont forget a spare bag for the dirty towels and possibly one for partially dirty. 

Staying on Andrews & playing tourist.

17 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

Where around the DC area are you heading (PM if you want).  

I keep some towels in a ziplock bag at all times, and squeeze them under a seat just fyi.  Definitely like Chris said seal everything up inculding windows/windshield.  Personally I’d doube and triple up the front end because of bugs.

Not sure how strapped for room you are, but you could always get small travel bottles at wally world and take a bunch of different chemicals with ya.  

Either way have fun and be safe

Oh ok very cool!

If you have not been to Andrews before, I just want to throw out there that Prince George’s County MD is one of the most violent and crime ridden areas of MD....first being Baltimore.  So just keep your eyes peeled and head on a swivel and keep the family safe.  I also see that you are former Fire Dept,  PG County also has some infamous fire departments that would welcome a visitor with open arms.  I live about 1.5hrs from Andrews, but if you need anything or more information, don’t hesitate!

Take Care

10 hours ago, JoeySr said:

Staying on Andrews & playing tourist.

1 hour ago, Nickfire20 said:

Oh ok very cool!

If you have not been to Andrews before, I just want to throw out there that Prince George’s County MD is one of the most violent and crime ridden areas of MD....first being Baltimore.  So just keep your eyes peeled and head on a swivel and keep the family safe.  I also see that you are former Fire Dept,  PG County also has some infamous fire departments that would welcome a visitor with open arms.  I live about 1.5hrs from Andrews, but if you need anything or more information, don’t hesitate!

Take Care

Andrews also has a beautiful golf course! ?

Sorry to hear your in PG, I dont think there is anything in that town with that rating....

Might I recomend DuClaw for some great beer and good food, as well as Chaps pit beef for some KILLER sandwiches. 

Check you two out!

I love the duck fat fries at DuClaws and the pit beef and hand cut fries at Chaps.  Chaps has been around for over 30 yrs and is a Baltimore staple, and has been on DDD and other food shows time and time again.  Pit beef  to my knowledge is a Maryland thing and more so a Baltimore thing...I highly recommend it!

On 5/18/2018 at 9:16 AM, Nickfire20 said:

Oh ok very cool!

If you have not been to Andrews before, I just want to throw out there that Prince George’s County MD is one of the most violent and crime ridden areas of MD....first being Baltimore.  So just keep your eyes peeled and head on a swivel and keep the family safe.  I also see that you are former Fire Dept,  PG County also has some infamous fire departments that would welcome a visitor with open arms.  I live about 1.5hrs from Andrews, but if you need anything or more information, do

Have not been to DC since 79 & have a brother from another mother who was stationed there with AF-1 and been told lots of stories & have another brother from another mother who's retired Tacoma Park PD & lives on some river a hop skip and jump from there. 2 of my old troops are working for a federal agency there & live in WV, so we have some great tour guides to all the seedy places LOL.....JBA was the cheapest so we jumped o it enabling us to stay a couple weeks & really get to play tourist and catch up with brothers....

Edited by JoeySr

19 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

Check you two out!

I love the duck fat fries at DuClaws and the pit beef and hand cut fries at Chaps.  Chaps has been around for over 30 yrs and is a Baltimore staple, and has been on DDD and other food shows time and time again.  Pit beef  to my knowledge is a Maryland thing and more so a Baltimore thing...I highly recommend it!

Fat kids got to check this out!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, JoeySr said:

Have not been to DC since 79 & have a brother from another mother who was stationed there with AF-1 and been told lots of stories & have another brother from another mother who's retired Tacoma Park PD & lives on some river a hop skip and jump from there. 2 of my old troops are working for a federal agency there & live in WV, so we have some great tour guides to all the seedy places LOL.....JBA was the cheapest so we jumped o it enabling us to stay a couple weeks & really get to play tourist and catch up with brothers....

Very cool stuff!  Sounds awesome!  He probably lives along The Potomac River, that’s my guess.  I use to work for the Fire Dept in Takoma Park for 7 years, and then just up the street in Silver Spring for 3 more yrs.  Now I’m a little further up the road.  Sounds like you’re gonna have a good time!

Will be participating in this year's Hot Rod Power Tour, and keeping the car clean for each show is a must. I have a little Adam's tote that I put all my bottles in. No room for a bucket or brushes.

I'll be packing the following:

• Microfiber towels. Lots of them. Especially waffle weave towels and single soft towels. No chance for washing while on the road.
  • Plastic bag for dirty towels
  • Waterless Wash
  • Deep wheel cleaner
  • Brilliant Glaze & foam applicator
  • Detail spray
  • Glass cleaner
  • Interior Detailer
  • SuperVRT & applicator
  • Tire Cleaner
  • A roll of quarters for the coin-op car washes

I've found that this is pretty much all I need. Leaving the big stuff at home.

Edited by Drive XR7

On 5/17/2018 at 5:14 AM, JoeySr said:

We are going across South West US in a couple weeks to Tuscon AZ, up to Chandler, across to Vegas and then out East to DC area.

Don't have tons of room in the car & looking for the "best" ideas and products to take with us to keep the car as clean as possible.

Space is at a premium, no room for a 5 gallon bucket & a mess of brushes, products and such, need to think minimalist but want the car to be clean and sparkle.

Ideas on what products to take, how best to keep he car clean and shiny?

And my wife thinks I'm nuts for trying to clean the cars while we are "on vacation" haha.  

I would echo what some others on here have said, seal the glass, it's a definite must!  I'd bring along detail spray and a few drying towels, glass cleaner / brilliant glaze, and either total interior cleaner or leather conditioner, just in case someone spills something in the interior along the way.  Coin-Op car washes unfortunately can be your best friend for long trips like this one, just to keep things from getting too gross.

I'm from Pennsylvania originally, not sure which route you are traveling, but if you happen to get near / around Pittsburgh check out one of the original Primanti Brothers locations (downtown), they have their chains in other states now, but from my experience, nothing beats one of the true original downtown locations.  If you have the time, swing by Gettysburg, PA (less than 90 minutes from Baltimore) if you want to check out any of the civil war / battlefield stuff, July is when the re-enactments of the battles take place, so if you go before that it won't be as crowded, definitely worth taking the time to check out.

I have a convertible Camaro and space is very limited especially when the top is down. I found some small storage containers that fit under the folded top that I use to travel with and put my Adams detail towels in.  The great thing is that if I need a bucket for a rinseless wash can just take all the towels out and use the storage container.

Also am a reseller for Novistretch Performance Covers for the front, it really helps cut down on the bugs. While it is not recommended for long haul driving, have done twelve hours with it and no damage.  I just take it off each night, and before putting back on the next day I rinseless or waterless wash the front fascia. The cover itself is very lightweight so you could rinse it in a sink/bathtub, roll it in a hotel towel to get out excess moisture and then hang to dry.  At home I wash it on gentle cycle with the Adams Microfiber cleaner and air dry.

Pictures are of my 2013 Hot Wheels Coupe and shows you the bugs/debris it collected on a road trip. The last picture is when the cottonwoods were throwing their fluff all over  Also have them for the 6th Gen Camaro, 5/6/7 Gen Corvettes, Challengers/Chargers, 6th Gen Mustangs, and Batwing style Harleys.  They are easy on/off, and just replace existing screws with snap screws (no drilling).

That all being, agree with everyone else, a great polish & application of sealant on the car before a road trip makes it much easier to maintain & protect.

20170626_123936.jpg

20170626_145446.jpg

20170626_184957.jpg

Edited by Liralen

On 5/22/2018 at 6:52 AM, KoryMiller340 said:

And my wife thinks I'm nuts for trying to clean the cars while we are "on vacation" haha.  

I would echo what some others on here have said, seal the glass, it's a definite must!  I'd bring along detail spray and a few drying towels, glass cleaner / brilliant glaze, and either total interior cleaner or leather conditioner, just in case someone spills something in the interior along the way.  Coin-Op car washes unfortunately can be your best friend for long trips like this one, just to keep things from getting too gross.

I'm from Pennsylvania originally, not sure which route you are traveling, but if you happen to get near / around Pittsburgh check out one of the original Primanti Brothers locations (downtown), they have their chains in other states now, but from my experience, nothing beats one of the true original downtown locations.  If you have the time, swing by Gettysburg, PA (less than 90 minutes from Baltimore) if you want to check out any of the civil war / battlefield stuff, July is when the re-enactments of the battles take place, so if you go before that it won't be as crowded, definitely worth taking the time to check out.

Will be going to this little place called Bethel Park, I lived in Brookline in the 70's and have not had a real Primanti Brothers since 70 or 80.......

On 6/6/2018 at 10:13 PM, JoeySr said:

Will be going to this little place called Bethel Park, I lived in Brookline in the 70's and have not had a real Primanti Brothers since 70 or 80.......

JoeySr  Small world, I grew up in Carrick and went to school with a lot of Brookline folks.  I left in 72 though and get back for Bucs games a few times a year.  Enjoy your trip!