Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove wax and glaze from trim

Bjtomblin10

Question

Hello from West Virginia! New to the site and truly love Adams Polishes.

As I have been detailing my vehicles, you occasionally mess up and get some wax and some glaze, etc. on your trim and it leaves that ugly white haze/streak on the trim. What is the best solution to get that off? There is nothing worse than having a super detailed car and then you have those ugly spot on the trim. What are options? 

10 answers to this question

I find a little detailer's "toothbrush" (toothbrush style with boars hair bristles) does the trick when you combine it with either APC or TRC. I just did a full detail on my mother's car and I got some buttery wax on the little trim surrounding her windows. A little bit of APC agitated with that brush, wipe off and BOOM, it's black again. 

OK, that sounds easy enough. I have quite a bit more than that. The trim that does along the top of my truck bed has it on quite a few places. I was going to use the APC but was nervous to get it on my paint. I didn't want it to remove my waxes, etc.

1 hour ago, Bjtomblin10 said:

OK, that sounds easy enough. I have quite a bit more than that. The trim that does along the top of my truck bed has it on quite a few places. I was going to use the APC but was nervous to get it on my paint. I didn't want it to remove my waxes, etc.

The APC will almost certainly degrade (to what degree I'm unsure) the wax. But I can't see you soaking your entire vehicle in APC so I would just do a quick touchup of wax again in those small areas when you're done. 

Welcome!

APC will not hurt the paint,  it works well for the worse bugs and tar etc...

Get it on and off fast, and replace your wax/sealant

Also long time Adam favorite is to dress your trim with VRT immediately after drying the vehicle, that way when you go to polish/wax/seal, you can avoid this whole scenario 

Edited by Nickfire20

1 hour ago, Nickfire20 said:

Welcome!

APC will not hurt the paint,  it works well for the worse bugs and tar etc...

Get it on and off fast, and replace your wax/sealant

Also long time Adam favorite is to dress your trim with VRT immediately after drying the vehicle, that way when you go to polish/wax/seal, you can avoid this whole scenario 

^^^ This! I applied VRT to every plastic piece of trim on my mother's car before polishing/waxing and it helps a ton. I only missed one spot and that is when I went back and scrubbed it with APC 

Edited by cwp2016nd

7 hours ago, Bjtomblin10 said:

As I have been detailing my vehicles, you occasionally mess up and get some wax and some glaze, etc. on your trim and it leaves that ugly white haze/streak on the trim. What is the best solution to get that off? There is nothing worse than having a super detailed car and then you have those ugly spot on the trim. What are options? 

They have you covered above, and the tip from @ZMAN024 and @Nickfire20 about VRT before you clay, polish, seal, wax is spot on.

Where you from in WV?

7 hours ago, Bjtomblin10 said:

Welcome Brent! What part of WV?

Our Tire & Rubber Cleaner does a good job removing dried wax.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/wheels-tires/adam-s-tire-rubber-cleaner.html

I have also succesfully used a pencil eraser before when its really stuborn and wont let go. Takes a fair bit of work but not impossible. TRC has been a great product for easy of use with this thou makes it really easy. Another option if you dont have either of those is some Iso Alcohol.